Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Do newsagents have a duty of care towards their paperboys?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Every morning I (don’t) see 2 local paperboys who ride along the lane outside my house in the dark without lights. Their bags are not reflective, they are wearing school uniforms (black pants and dark coats) and their bikes are unlit.

The road only partially lit and practically all of the drive ways are blind due to hedges and parked cars. When you add a few tractors and the detritus that is thrown off their tires into the mix it makes it worse. One day something hideous is going to happen. It makes me wince.

wwaswas

short answer = yes.

Stoner
    Free Member

stop and tell the kids? Maybe they just arent thinking.

Grab a couple of cheap hi-viz tabbards from the market and give them to them as an early Xmas present?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I would have thought so.

My kids school hands out hi-viz vests when the clocks change, and the kids get a roasting if they turn up without it on. It’s a good idea.

Stoner
    Free Member

…and… to the extent that the newsagents might have some kind of legal responsibility, perhaps it would be a good idea if we all thought we had a bit of moral responsibility some times…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

The newsagent that I did a paper round for cared for us in his own particular way. I must’ve been in need of a lot of care as he quickly had me working in the back of the shop.

wwaswas

the long answer;

http://www.arun.gov.uk/cgi-bin/buildpage.pl?mysql=2554

Do I need to provide my newspaper delivery staff with any protective equipment?

The right protective equipment can help your newspaper delivery staff to be seen. It should be fluorescent by day and reflective by night.

You should therefore consider providing equipment (eg in the form of a delivery bag) or clothing (such as a tabard or vest) which is both fluorescent and reflective. You should regularly check this equipment/clothing to ensure it is in a good condition, and is clean (dirty reflectors will not work). Staff should be informed of their responsibilities to maintain any equipment/clothing you provide.

You should consider what happens at the end of a round, as if staff have to leave their delivery bag, or tabard at the shop, they may be afforded no protection on their way home. You may therefore wish to issue the equipment/clothing to individual delivery staff and give them the responsibility to use it on their way to and from work. You can also advise your delivery staff about their own personal clothing, to ensure it is light in colour so they are easily seen, and also so that it protects them against weather conditions (both cold and hot).

As with all of your safe working practices, it is essential to pass on the advice through training and discussion. Consider also giving this information to the parents of your delivery staff.

What advice should I be giving to my staff who use a bicycle for their round?

Riding a bicycle in the dark without lights and reflectors puts cyclists at real risk, as well as the fact that they are breaking the law. Bicycles must have front and rear lights and a red reflector at night. It is also a good idea to have reflectors on the pedals.

Reflectors are excellent for helping drivers to see cyclists in the dark because they appear to light up and shine the light back to the driver when the headlamp shines on them. They also provide extra protection if the bicycle lights fail for any reason. Reflectors do not work if they are dirty, so they must be regularly cleaned (especially in the winter months).

The specification for the safety requirements for new bicycles is set out in a British Standard: BS 6102/1. They should also display the manufacturers’ name or code.

A bike being ridden on public roads in the dark must be fitted with:

* A white front light;
    * A red rear light
    * A red rear reflector

You should consider having:

* A white front reflector;
    * Amber pedal reflectors;
    * White or amber wheel reflectors

Bicycle lights must be left lit whilst the bicycle is parked, and whilst delivering during the hours of darkness. They should be un-obscured, and must conform to the relevant British Standard BS 6102/3. Reflectors must be kept clean and un-obscured and should conform to BS 6102/2.

Is there a recognised standard for Cycle Helmets?

The recognised standard is BS 6863. It is a good idea to check that your delivery staff are using a helmet that complies with this standard (it should have an appropriate mark inside).

A cycle helmet can help to prevent a head injury if there was an accident. You should make sure that the helmet is the right size and is properly fitted.

br
    Free Member

Sorry, are they orphans?

Stop looking for someone other than their parents to blame.

Harry_the_Spider

I’ll have a word if I see them tomorrow.

surfer
    Free Member

I think you should tell the seller. The bags should at least be reflective and I would say the seller should insist on lights on the bikes (Bloody big bright flashy things)

As a parent it scares the hell out of me if I see this type of thing, same as kids with trendy helmets on but with the straps hanging down!

Stoner
    Free Member

nice one @ HTS

surfer
    Free Member

Sorry, are they orphans?

Stop looking for someone other than their parents to blame.

I agree to a point. I wouldnt let my child out without at least the above protection but in this instance they are in the employ of the seller so they have a responsibility in this case in the same way that your employer has responsibility for you.

yossarian
    Free Member

I’m not sure what the legal status is. I guess that technically, as the employer, the newsagent has a duty to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the safety and welfare of their employees.

However handing out high vis vests and bike lights is just the tip of the iceberg. Are they wearing helmets? Do their brakes work? etc etc

At what point do you stop?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Harry – what time was it? I believe that newsagents are breaking the law if they ask kids to start work before 7am (?) these days.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

All the paper boys and girls I see around here have high viz bags at least.

Harry_the_Spider

7:20 ish

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

At what point do you stop?

Not before you start.

The fact that the word “reasonable” comes up a lot in English law is the answer to your question.

yossarian
    Free Member

yes I know this.

The point I’m making is that you cannot simply consider PPE and lighting in isolation.

Taking reasonable care of your employees extends to their work equipment also hence my query about the condition of their bikes.

wwaswas

yossarian – follow the link I posted or click on this one;

http://www.arun.gov.uk/cgi-bin/buildpage.pl?mysql=2557

it’s pretty comprehensive…

…black pants…

Tsk, trousers 🙄

avdave2

I’ll have a word if I see them tomorrow.

And I reckon they may have a word for you as well. 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Do newsagents have a duty of care towards their paperboys?’ is closed to new replies.