Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • do mtb overshoes work
  • oblique
    Free Member

thinking about getting some for winter to go over my spd shoes. do they really keep you warm/dry?

Marin
    Free Member

Yes even better with seal skin socks.

rustler
    Free Member

Yes. Cheapo Aldi jobbies here but do an ace job. Must-have's for Winter IMO.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Yes they work great. But if you do a lot of walking in them you may wear through them pretty quickly.

jordie
    Free Member

just save yourself the bother and get a pair of winter boots 😆

giantjason
    Free Member

i had overshoes several winters ago and got fed up with faffing around with them.

Got myself a pair of gore-tex winter boots, with some sealskinz socks and never looked back.

vdubber67
    Free Member

The neoprene planet X ones that you get on ebay for £14 are brilliant. Pretty hard wearing too.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Sealskinz work really well but your shoes take a pounding and the socks themselves need regular washing/drying which is a pain if you're riding a lot unless you have 2 pairs.

Overshoes also work but are a pfaff to put on and, as pointed out, aren't great for walking in.

Just got some of these Diadora Arctic MTB boots for £59 so my toes will be toasty this winter 🙂

misterfrostie
    Free Member

Winter boots are much better than overshoes. One of the best moves I ever made. Overshoes tend to flick up at the nose, exposing your toes to cold and wet. They are much better than nothing at all mind, but the move to full blown winter boots is definitely better.

Trekster

Just got some of these Diadora Arctic MTB boots for £59 so my toes will be toasty this winter

Where?

dmiller
    Free Member

Just got some of these Diadora Arctic MTB boots for £59 so my toes will be toasty this winter

Where?

Indeed… where? 🙂

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Seriously, where did you get the boots, we need to know!

Popocatapetl

On Ebay, size 42 to 48.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Beat me to it, now need to decide what to get size wise, "these shoes are small fitting" it says on the site…

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Oh yeah – Absolute Cycles on Ebay.

Absolute Cycles HERE

As for sizing:

I'm a 10 with quite wide feet and usually take a 44 continental. I take a 45 in Shimano though.

With Diadora – which they advertise as being a "small fit" I tried some MTB Chilli boots last year in a 45 and they were JUST too small. Got the Arctic boots in a 46 and they fit fine.

THink they have limited numbers of the Arctic boots but they still have the Chilli boots for £49 which are also really good just not quite as warm. Sold mine to my mate last year and he was happy with them throughout the North of Scotland winter and they still look new now. THe Chillis have screw-in Red Plastic Toe Studs and the Artics have metal ones – both work really well…….and look cool.

If you go for the Chillis don't buy the road version – which they also sell – by mistake.

I'd say, in general, go TWO sizes bigger when ordering although the guys seem good to deal with and posted quickly and will exchange if needed.

Get 'em now before winter when everyone else suddenly wants some too 🙄

trail_rat
    Free Member

+ 1 on 2 sizes bigger in diadora also overshoes do work if you can stay on the bike…i used both winterboots and spds and ski socks togeether at strathpuffer – toasty !

rootes1

yes, and nice to peel them off when you get back and have nice clean shoes + then bung overshoes in washing machine

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Hey trail-rat you started building trails round Feteresso yet?

twinklydave

They do work, but they don't last.

I tent to buy a pair of the endura mt500 ones each year and by the time the weather's warming up again towards spring they're always looking tatty…but combined with my normal shoes and either some thick merino socks (or the thermal sealskins socks) I can ride for hours in properly miserable winter weather for hours without my feet falling off

(everything else does, but not my feet)

trail_rat
    Free Member

only been there 1 week so far namaste – going out for investigation this weekend – spent most of this week looking at and riding routes for riding to work (auchenblae to dyce )

namastebuzz
    Free Member

No worries – gimme a shout when you need some help 🙂

mattythemod
    Free Member

Oh yeah – Absolute Cycles on Ebay.

Absolute Cycles HERE

As for sizing:

I'm a 10 with quite wide feet and usually take a 44 continental. I take a 45 in Shimano though.

With Diadora – which they advertise as being a "small fit" I tried some MTB Chilli boots last year in a 45 and they were JUST too small. Got the Arctic boots in a 46 and they fit fine.

THink they have limited numbers of the Arctic boots but they still have the Chilli boots for £49 which are also really good just not quite as warm. Sold mine to my mate last year and he was happy with them throughout the North of Scotland winter and they still look new now. THe Chillis have screw-in Red Plastic Toe Studs and the Artics have metal ones – both work really well…….and look cool.

If you go for the Chillis don't buy the road version – which they also sell – by mistake.

I'd say, in general, go TWO sizes bigger when ordering although the guys seem good to deal with and posted quickly and will exchange if needed.

Get 'em now before winter when everyone else suddenly wants some too

Seems they have put the price up by £20 overnight .

pedalhead
    Free Member

Blimey, glad I bought some yesterday 😆

Tiger6791

Got the Endura ones, bit of a faff to put on but brilliant! Mine broke but Endura fixed 'em so can't complain.

Kept my feet warm, dry even when riding through stream and stuff.

If you stand in water it goes through but otherwise remarkably good. Paired with SealSkinz then you can't go wrong.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Seems they have put the price up by £20 overnight .

So they have 😮

Never underestimate the power of STW.

The Chilli MTB Boots are still at £49 however (although not for much longer perhaps?).

They are probably a more year round boot than the Arctics as you can use 'em in spring/autumn without overheating in wet conditions. Then wear thicker socks in winter.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘do mtb overshoes work’ is closed to new replies.