Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Do medium frame 29ers hardtails look odd? (cube)
  • cookci
    Free Member

Just looking at buying a cube attention 29er 17″. I’m 5ft 8″ so i believe the 17″ is the right size but i’m not sure it doesn’t look a bit odd i.e. all wheel.

The other option is i go 27.5″ so i can get an 18″ frame… what do you think?

weeksy

Looks nice enough to me.

thepodge
    Free Member

Depends, this just looks hardcore to me

mikewsmith
    Free Member

how does it ride?

cookci
    Free Member

no idea i don’t think anyone has one i can sit on 🙁

i sat on a 19″ cube 29Er last year and it was too big so i’m thinking the 17″ would be right!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

if your anywhere near Scunthorpe, they have a Cube “concept shop”

1-shed
    Free Member

The angle of the photo makes it look wrong, the angle of the photo of the Kona makes it look right and the Kona is pretty.

otsdr
    Free Member

It could be that the Attention is more of a “sport/recreational” bike, short and tall. You could look at the LTD/Race One models, which are a bit longer and lower (1cm longer ETT, .5cm lower BB).

gaidong
    Free Member

Agreed for poor photo angle.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

You need to ride it. You can’t decide just on how it looks…

Having said that, that frame does look short and with a longish stem. Is that what you want?

ahwiles
    Free Member

looks fine to me, ditch half a dozen stem-spacers and it’ll look even better.

(but there’s nothing that can be done to make a 20″ 26er look good)

DezB
    Free Member

This is a medium, but doesn’t seem to be showing as much arse as the above 2.
    Looks brilliant, rides brillianter 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

looks fine to me, ditch half a dozen stem-spacers and it’ll look even better.

this, someone who needs a small 29er, wont need the bars with stackers and an upright stem, flip and slam the stem and it will look better

cookci
    Free Member

TBH the more I look at it the more I do wonder if I don’t prefer the 27.5″ 18″

I’m a little confused why the 27.5″ only goes up to 18″ though?

Surely the 27.5″ 18″ would have similar clearance to the 29er 17″ right?

yes the 27.5″ 18″ seems to be listed as a large and 29er 17″ is listed as a small?!

DezB
    Free Member

TBH the more I look at it the more I do wonder if I don’t prefer the 27.5″ 18″

You’re going just by looks?? Have you noticed the COLOURS?!

RustyMac

Is the I’m 5’8″ a typo in the OP?

I’m 5’8.5″ and wouldn’t dream of a 18″ frame. Have you been and sat on either?

cookci
    Free Member

i mean the look of the shape/size

Prefer the look of the 650b but i think i prefer riding a 29er as it allows me to smash through things easier 🙂

cookci
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 8″ but have a high ape index and 32″ inner leg so I think its the right size.

this bike is to be my new “dogging bike” for bike joring with huskies.

My existing dogging bike is an old spec hardrock 18″ which feels cramped but its

my other MTB bike (for trails) is a 2014 giant trance X1 18″ which feels like a perfect fit to me.

dmorts

I think it’s all relative, bigger wheels are becoming the norm.

My wife has a 15″ hardtail 29er. From some angles it looks a lot more normal than my 5 year older, 26″ wheeled, 19″ full sus. In comparison, the full suss looks like a child’s bike with tiny wheels.

rOcKeTdOg

If you’re near Redditch we have 13.5, 15,17,18 & 19 HT to try

eshershore
    Free Member

My XTC in medium. I’m 5’10” with 32″ leg and ride a 54cm road bike.

The biggest improvements were the Works components headset to slacken HA by 1.5 degrees, lower BBH and lengthen front centre, making a nervous and tall/short bike feel much more neutral

And Zipp -25 degrees x 85mm stem which drops the bar to a similar height as 650 bike, and makes hops/wheelies much easier and more grip on front tire.

Playing around with geometry and finishing kit can really help get a 29’er right for small and medium riders.

skids
    Free Member

I think it looks good, but watch out Cube bikes have the shortest top tube you ever seen

Yak

I’m the same dims as the OP and ride med 29ers, but er towards long top tubes. Couldn’t go smaller.

Anyway – looks fine.

cookci
    Free Member

So am i correct in thinking that the 650b version 18″ even tho its the largest in the range is more of a medium in size?

mattjg
    Free Member

surely looking “all wheel” is good for a bicycle?

superstu
    Free Member

Medium doesn’t mean anything OP.
    I really think you need to hop on one and see for yourself.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Looking at the measurements the 17 inch is much shorter than your Giant in the top tube, around 30mm. The 18″ is only 2mm longer. For a vaguely comparable reach to your Giant you need the 19″, which is still a little shorter than your Giant.

cookci
    Free Member

And with the 19 id have no clearance right?

Could i not gain some cockpit size with a longer stem?

skids
    Free Member

They are just really short bikes, compare to the Trek X-Caliber / Superfly 29ers, their size 17.5 (16.5 actual) has a 602 mm top tube the Cube’s size 17 is 570mm, that is a huge difference

Northwind

The cube frames seem pretty wee- a mate has an XL and it fits me pretty well at 5’10, seat tube aside. So for any given size they do look pretty scrunched up.

BigDummy
    Free Member

this bike is to be my new “dogging bike

Gentlemen, we have a new niche. 🙂

eshershore
    Free Member

@skids

that Cube is crazy short for the size – my XTC in medium has top tube of 594mm, the large is 615mm

my previous 29’er were all medium Stumpjumper carbon hardtails with top tube of 593mm

breadcrumb

Medium 29er-

Nowt wrong with that in my eyes

ahwiles
    Free Member

handlebars are too high…

martymac

Im 2″ taller than op, my wife has a 17″ cube reaction, its slightly too small for me. HTH

cookci
    Free Member

too short?

cookci
    Free Member

managed to try out the 17″ 29er and it felt a tiny bit too small I think…

The sales guy didn’t really have an opinion on the matter.

I think I need to sit on the 27.5 18″ and the 29er 19″ now

coconut
    Free Member

Ha.. 😀 I had that exact 2015 Cube Attention in a 21inch.

The bike is nothing like the photo in real life…the colour is very bright marker pen green, basically illuminous! The Cube frames do come up very short. The bike is good spec for the money (should be around £400 to £450 ish ?) but is heavy. Good value but you need some sun glasses with that colour, stick in google images to gte a better idea 😉

breadcrumb

handlebars are too high…

Mine? They’re about level with the saddle, angle of the photo makes them look much higher.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Do medium frame 29ers hardtails look odd? (cube)’ is closed to new replies.