Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Do manuals/wheelies become second nature once you find your centre of gravity?
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

When you find that sweet spot of balance, do you automatically go back to it every time so it becomes second nature? I just can’t bloody find it! But I can do front brake endos until the cows come home. Don’t get it.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Not sure about natural. I’ve been working on wheelies and manuals and can now find my balance point, and have been able to for a while. The trick then becomes staying on it. I guess the next step for me is becoming comfortable staying on that point by covering the rear brake and not panicking when I feel i’m falling back, and getting the left to right balance sorted. I still feel i’ve a way to go but with these things sometimes it can suddenly click. Having said that i’m still waiting for it to click for me!

The other good thing about working on this is that now I can get my front wheel up really easily and without thinking which comes in very handy out on the trails if you come up against a feature or little unexpected drop.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/21266756[/video]
    Use the right online guide….. (and wear a lid + cover the brakes)

mtbel
    Free Member

When you find that sweet spot of balance, do you automatically go back to it every time so it becomes second nature?

Yes!

Keep practicing

uphillcursing
    Free Member

@Mike. That is a quality video. Too many on here take themselves far too seriously.

al2000

First time you find it, it’s a revelation – so much further back than you expect.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Steady on Mike!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s got nothing to do with finding your “centre of gravity” or balance point either. Well, not really annyway, since you’ll always be making adjustments whilst doing it. It’s about correct technique.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

uphillcursing – Member

@Mike
    . That is a quality video. Too many on here take themselves far too seriously.

No offence mate, but to get to the level of riding skill we’re at, you’ve got to take yourself seriously.

Manualling down a main road at 25mph; I’m treading the fine line between brilliance and severe injury.

There’s nothing wrong with pootling round your local trail centre; but if you want to get to the next level you’ve got to push yourself.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lol meet me when I’m serious I was doing the exaggerated demo for the ex, with no lid…. Not really paying attention….

But yes far too many take themselves too seriously, if you can’t laugh at yourself you really shouldn’t laugh at others.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Been there and done the exact same thing when showing off to the offspring. Was on the road down to Low Steads Farm in Longhoughton. Bloody hurt it did.
    @DavidTaylforth- No offense taken. Always happy to bow before the superior skills of others. I shall, of course, return to mincing round the Blue graded trails and leave the main roads free for your awesomeness. 😀

Rorschach
    Free Member

Once you’ve found your centre of chi you can float serenely everywhere on your back wheel (and the wings of a butterfly).

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

@DavidTaylforth- No offense taken. Always happy to bow before the superior skills of others. I shall, of course, return to mincing round the Blue graded trails and leave the main roads free for your awesomeness.

😀

mtbel
    Free Member

with no lid

is that how you got the bald patch?

be careful out there kids 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lol that was something else…

Think I now know who the riding God mtbel is now…

Superficial
    Free Member

I can find the balance point every time, I just can’t bloody stay there. My inability to manual after all these years haunts my dreams.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Finding the balance point is the hardest part of wheelies. Once you find it you can almost wheelie for as long as you want. As mentioned its further back than most people realise and is the dead point between the wheel falling back down and you falling off the back of the bike. To begin with you use a combination of pedalling and feathering the back brake to keep yourself in on the balance point. As you get better you will need less brake/pedal inputs and rely more on balance.
    When proficient you can start experimenting with low fast wheelies (below balance point) or high slow ones (above balance point) which are harder.
    For reference I learnt to wheelie when commuting too and from work along the canal. I used to have a stretch of around 2 miles with no obstructions and could go the full length most days. I could on a good day do the full journey only touching down at the gates and locks.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Do manuals/wheelies become second nature once you find your centre of gravity?’ is closed to new replies.