Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Do I sound a bit desperate?
  • tails
    Free Member

I'm mainly referring to the second sentence. I am currently employed but have found this great opportunity which I would like to get an interview for, but feel I may sound desperate as opposed to eager and willing.

Dear Mr **** ******

I would like to apply for the position of ******** – ******** ******** as seen advertised on the ****** ****** website.  I have attached a PDF of my CV alongside some examples of my recent work.

My CAD experience comes from SketchUp Pro with Podium rendering plug-in alongside a good knowledge of AutoCAD, and whilst I am aware the position is ******* centric I am a quick learner who is more than willing to put in my own time to get up to speed .

I have a good knowledge of how to construct objects and have experience working in customer facing roles. I am based locally to your head office in ******, *********.

Yours faithfully,

stratobiker
    Free Member

No, I don't think so.

garage-dweller

Delete "more than" IMO this would make you sound more excited about furthering yourself than desparate for a new job.

tails
    Free Member

Thanks people, that sounds great garage dweller.

RichPenny
    Free Member

All that swearing in an application letter? Is it a job on a building site?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

On first read the second para seems to be highlighting the negatives in your experience- why don't you leave the 'willing to further bit' and let them read your cv for the actual model of software you are using if it's not quite what they are after

Also it should have an 'enc' at the end of you are enclosing something

GJP
    Free Member

i am with pop larkin. The covering letter should sell your key strengths and experience – I would look to highlight my transferrable skills and experience. Good luck.

nickjb
    Free Member

Agree with pop and GJP. Second para sounds a bit negative. Maybe some thing like: " I have 3D modelling and rendering experience using Sketch Up Pro and Podium as well as a good knowledge of AutoCAD. I am aware the position is ******* centric but I am a quick learner who is willing to put in my own time to get up to speed. "

EDIT: And the third paragraph needs a tweak, too. Avoid using 'good knowledge' again and split up creating objects and customer facing as they are very different skills. Maybe put the objects bit into the second paragraph.

igm

It's a pretty short covering letter, but it's not as bad as many I've seen. I normally expect to see people address each of the qualitites / skills I asked about in the advert, and to make some comment on the company (normally they'll say how wonderful it is in some way, but I really just want them to indicate they know who we are or at least care enough to find out).

Logic, structure, common sense, literacy (often missing in my posts on here), caring about the job and the company and an ability to find out some background information that I didn't give them – get that across. Honesty is nice too, but far harder to judge. The rest of a skill set can generally be learnt provided you have a reasonable grounding in something close and reasonable intelligence.

Nothing worng with saying you have been looking for a position in ******* for some time and you believe you could adapt your current skill set in the following way (make it sound real though).

Dudie
    Free Member

Dear Mr. <insert name here> always ended with 'yours sincerely' when I was at skool.

tails
    Free Member

It was not really supposed to be a covering letter more an email application. Sent it already and using yours faithfully DOH everyone knows that! 👿

magowen100
    Free Member

I agree with the other posts, but something I would consider is that alot of employers now use compentency based scoring for CV's and interviews. So instead of saying I have lots of experience in XYZ they are looking for things like 'in my previous job, designing (insert whatever you did), I gained extensive experience of 3d modelling and rendering using Sketch up pro and podium. My input into the design process led to reduced waste costs that increased revenue by 20%.'
    If I remember rightly the order to word it is situation,task, action, result and it must be specific especially with transferable skills. The idea behind it all is that its easy for someone to say they have knowledge of this or that but to write about experiences in a context they must have actually done it before.
    Hope that helps and good luck,
    Matt

chakaping
    Free Member

All that swearing in an application letter? Is it a job on a building site?

Damn, beat me to it.

Letter is fine, they'll only scan-read it anyway.

finbar
    Free Member

Dear Mr. <insert name here> always ended with 'yours sincerely' when I was at skool.

'Faithfully' is for people you don't know, 'sincerely' is for people you do.

Dudie
    Free Member

'sincerely' for people addressed by name, 'faithfully' for people addressed Dear Sir etc…

ART

What they ^^^^^ said about 'faithfully' vs 'sincerely' tsk they just don't teach this stuff anymore eh. 🙄

DezB
    Free Member

Yours faithfully… oh, thats' been covered 4 times already 👿

Personally I'd be more gushing in 'how excited I am by this opportunity' etc., but as you've already sent it…

tails
    Free Member

It's gone now so whatever will be will be, very hard to be perfect still can't believe I did not spot the sincerely bit. Even my CV that I had checked hundreds of times, had been read by my sis who studies English my Mother and many others, I found a little mistake a month or so back.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Also it should have an 'enc' at the end of you are enclosing something

Encs. as it has a CV and examples of work so there is more than one enclosure.

toys19
    Free Member

Anyone smart knows that it's not software specific experience or knowledge you need in an employee, that can be learned quickly, its how smart you are. I would make more of how smart you are.

gearfreak
    Free Member

chakaping, you're wrong. Covering letter is very important. When I'm recruiting applications with a poor covering letter often go directly into the bin without even looking at the CV. IGM's comments are pretty correct, it's amazing how many people don't put any effort into a covering letter.

CV should be general, you should be able to send it to any job you are applying to, covering letter is why you are good for the job which has been specifically advertised.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I'd like a bit more on the covering letter, it's where you sell yourself – why yiou want the job, that sort of thing

monotokpoint
    Free Member

Add some kisses after your name

Taff
    Free Member

What do you do Tails? Architects practice?

tails
    Free Member

What do you do Tails? Architects practice?

Hmmm. . . Well I'm trained (University) in furniture design and also have a HND in cabinet making. Since leaving 3 years ago I have working as an exhibition designer and I am now designing garden studio/chalet type buildings. So a bit of everything at the moment.

tails
    Free Member

Oh well, very polite for a managing director.

Hi ******

Thanks for your CV and details which I did read with interest.

Whilst SolidWorks is quite successful in the point of sales/purchase market places – I do need someone who has a more detailed understanding of Mechanical design processes and someone with experience of this industry. I also need someone who is already proficient in SolidWorks.

Your work was impressive. There are many point of sales companies around this area (******* **** – *******/******* – *******) who do use SolidWorks and you might find some opportunities there.

Good luck in your career and thanks for getting in touch.

Regards

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Do I sound a bit desperate?’ is closed to new replies.