Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • do i need to take the persure out off my forks/brain before it goes on a plane?
  • abenson246
    Free Member

Taking my bike to Canada next week just packing it away and was thing do i have to let the pressure out off the forks and the brain (2011 stump jumper elite)also i ruining tube less should i drop the pressure to about 20 psi or leave it at current 30 ?
    And some video on you tube said to remove the disc’s is this really necessary ? cheers:)

100mphplus
    Free Member

No need to take pressure out of shocks and I also just reduce pressure in UST tyres to 15 – 20psi so they will remain seated.

Also for the effort, it’s worth removing the discs just to stop them rubbing against something in your bag.

molgrips
    Free Member

No, nor is there for the tyres.

Even in space the pressure in your tyres and fork would go up by 14psi. When you land from a big jump and bottom out your forks, the pressure in them must be many hundreds of PSI, and in your tyres it’s probably 80psi for a moment.

Removing discs is not a bad idea though, to save them getting bent.

100mphplus
    Free Member

I know there’s no Need to and there is scientific evidence that you don’t NEED to, but all airlines say you do have to reduce the pressure in your tyres and they have generally always asked me if I have. Therefore I am not lying when I say I have 😉

aracer
    Free Member

all airlines say you do have to reduce the pressure in your tyres

Not all
    http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagsport/public/en_gb#

I tend to take out ~1psi in order to avoid lying if asked.

abenson246
    Free Member

yep i work for a airline and i know they say it but like everything you never belive your bosses:)The discs have lock tie it seems on the bolt thread will i need to relace when putting it back together ?

_tom_
    Free Member

A good tip I read for flying is take off the discs and zip tie them together, apparently makes it a lot harder for them to bend rather than if they’re individual/lose.

Badger
    Free Member

I’ve taken my full suss to canada twice now and both times I’ve dropped a small amount out of the shocks etc so that I can honestly say “yes of course” when they ask me at check in (not that they have yet)

The baggage hold is pressurised so its not a problem – airlines transport pets in the hold so they have to be pressurised (or the pets would go the way of the norwegian blue!)

I always let the air out of the tyres – but thats because they’re maxis high rollers and are huge and won’t fit well if inflated.

As to the discs etc. I use pipe lagging sponge (buy it cheap at screwfix or whickes) wrapped round and then use zip ties to hold it in place as like you my discs are locktighted on and I’d rather leave them on (But then I have a semi-hard bike box thats damn good)

Definately remove your rear mech and bubble wrap it, oh and the pipe lagging stuff is great for protecting the top tube and other parts of the frame – that and it weighs nowt!

Enjoy

Potdog
    Free Member

Would certainly recommend taking the discs off. Had a fair few people arrive here who hadn’t to find they were pringle shaped thanks to the baggage handlers and soft bike bags.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Threadlock isn’t some sort of complicated magic spell, its a few drops out of a bottle which only costs a few pounds. Get your rotors off or cry after paying resort prices for a non matching one.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I tend to take out ~1psi in order to avoid lying if asked.

please tell me you’re not telling the truth here. I can’t honestly believe anyone would, quite rightly, stick to their convictions about not dropping the pressure in their kit but then feel they need to drop a nominal minimal amount just so they’re not caught lying despite the airlines often requiring you let all air out of the tyres.

It’s based on nonsense, it makes no sense to do it unless you run your tyres at the raggedy edge of pressure limits, and you’re quite right not to bother. IF they complain they’ve opened your box/bag and will know you didn’t bother, at least have the balls to stand up for your beliefs!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

If they ask me if I’ve let my tyres down I answer “I will if the captain will let his down”

oh they think that’s SO funny, they’ll love it.

To be honest though, I do let mine down but only so they fit in the bike wheel better, no other reason.

rickmeister

Discs off and cable tied to the inside of the wheel spokes here, and dont forget the spacers in the drop outs to prevent crush injuries..

100mphplus
    Free Member

TBH I do let the air out of my WC Boxxers as the bike fits better in the bag with the forks compressed.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘do i need to take the persure out off my forks/brain before it goes on a plane?’ is closed to new replies.