Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Do I need a long sleeved windproof jersey?
  • rascal
    Free Member

When it’s a bit breezy but not too cold for multiple layers what do you wear?
    The type of weather where a normal jersey can leave you cold as the wind rushes by due to your awesome speed 😉 – I’m talking road biking here.
    I have a Gore Phantom which is Windstopper – I can take the arms off to convert it to a short sleeved jersey but it’s still quite bulky and ‘stiff’.
    I have a thick-ish Scott Windstopper gilet but I need to wear a SS jersey underneath so too hot.
    A jersey that has a windproof front would be idea as you won’t get too cold but still lightweight – pockets in the back even better.
    I have Endura arm warmers to stash in the pockets too (if SS). Better SS or LS?
    Does such a thing exist/does this sound feasible/am I being overly fussy?

cinnamon_girl

I have one of these:

http://www.tgstore.co.uk/base-layer-turtleneck-p-3517.html

Various styles but no pocket in the back. Sometimes I wear just a gilet with it.

jambaron
    Free Member

I brought one of these

I tend to get very hot but I’ve found this good. I particularly like the water resistant arms.

scotroutes

Gore do a Windstopper-fronted jersey. In fact, I think they do both long- and short-sleeved versions.

corroded
    Free Member

I’ve got a Gore Xenon jacket and love – perfect for a lot of the riding I do (i.e. I avoid going out in heavy rain). Very versatile bit of kit.

iainc

For road, i go for short sleeeved jersey and arm warmers, sometimes with long base under. Also Gore gilet so lots of combinations

cloudnine
    Free Member

Gore Alp-x 2.0 long sleeve jersey… £50 on amazon.
    Short sleeve base layer underneath.. if its colder then LS BL.

timba
    Free Member

My rides this week have been 10C+, windy and sunny; thin long-sleeved road jersey and thin long-sleeved base layer, but shorts have been fine both days

lunge

Short sleeved Jersey, light weight gillet and arm warmers for me. Adjust the base layer to suit.

If you do want a wind proof Jersey I know Wiggle do some.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Endura jetstream jersey/jacket is good for this time of the year. Basically a thin WS jacket. The jetstream 3 is slightly thinner than the previous version (the 2…)

rOcKeTdOg

DHB windslam jackets are discounted atm

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Recently got a Castelli alpha jersey and considering your criteria it’s right up your street I reckon. Up until now my rides have been in temperatures ranging from 2-10 degrees and as long as you put the right baselayar on underneath you’ll be toasty. Wind proof front and arms and a half decent water repellency. Review for it here:
    https://bicyclesportshop.wordpress.com/2014/11/17/ridden-reviewed-castellis-alpha-wind-jersey/
    Although the rrp is over £170 Evans have it at £104 atm
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/castelli/alpha-wind-fz-long-sleeve-jersey-ec067226?country=GB&currency=GBP&gclid=CJS_pKjhpMQCFUnLtAodVRwA7Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Yak

Yes you do.
    Dhb windslam is exactly that and quite cheap. I’ve had one on the go for a couple of years now. Perfect for most of the time before we get to the short sleeve season.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I generally wear a pertex (or similar) shell. Bought one of these recently in the sale, pretty pleased with it for 20 quid:

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/running-cycling/hi-vis-jackets/mens/force-jacket-p8705.aspx?cl=YELLOW

though I also have a more discrete pertex with side zips which I like for ventilation.

dknwhy

I normally use arm warmers and a thin gillet. Keeps the wind off and good in a light rain shower.

stumpy01

I’ve got a Polaris windproof l/s jersey & an Altura Aistream for just this kind of occasion – when it’s not overly cold but there’s quite a strong, cold wind blowing.

The Polaris is better than the Altura at keeping you warm, as the front is more windproof (it has totally windproof panels in it). Can fairly easily control body temp by just opening the front zip a bit.
    My arms don’t really overheat, so I wear whatever will keep my torso warm and take it from there.

I’ve considered the dhb Windslam jersey a few times, but for the amount of times I ride I don’t really need any more tops! Looks like a good buy though.

continuity
    Free Member

Windslam jersey vs jacket?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Endura jetstream

+1, pretty much the only top I wear between Autumn and Spring, just add a baselayer underneath in winter.

Front of the torso and front of the arms is windproof, armpits are normal jersey, rear is roubaix, it’s great. Pricey, but really worth it.

iainc

I recently bought a Sportful Fiandre NoRain jacket and it has been my goto item since I got it. With a Craft baselayer its good down to close to zero, whereas with a Gore SS base it is great at around the 10 deg mark.

It is also bright and yellow, breathes like a jersey, is totally windproof and negates the need to pop a waterproof in the back pocket.

It’s the best bit of bike clothing I’ve bought recently (even better than my Rapha cross jersey 🙂 )

gren
    Free Member

I use a Gore activeshell gilet if I want to windproof my chest area (not as bothered about arms). I think it’s a ‘Path’. It adds hardly any weight or bulk and can be stuffed in a pocket if you get too warm.

Like you I wear a Phantom in the winter and have moved to LS jersey plus gilet in the past couple of weeks.

I’ve also got an Endura roadie LS jersey. FS260, it may be the jetstream already mentioned above? It’s windproof but like an idiot I bought a mainly white one. It was in the sale – £25 but hardly gets used as the trails need to be dry or it gets filthy. Really good jersey though.

The missus has just got a LS Castelli Gabba to use on her road bike – a thinner windstopper. That thing is amazing….still not sure it justifies the price though!

rascal
    Free Member

Thanks folks.
    I think I’m going to lay out all my options on the bed and try on different combinations.
    With a SS jersey, a Windstopper gilet, a Windstopper soft-shell with detachable arms and arm warmers there must be a combo that does what I want.
    Does anyone wear a Phantom next to their skin? Don’t want to be sweating and effecting the breathability of it.
    The DHB Windslam looks like just what I need BTW – if I need it this it 🙄

rascal
    Free Member

Gren – where did you buy the Jetstream for £25?

njee20
    Free Member

Never bothered with windproof jerseys myself – I either wear a gilet over a normal jersey, or go for a softshell with varying degrees of windproofness. Just find that a bit more versatile, there’s a fairly small temperature window when a windproof jersey is useful IMO. Surprised you’re finding your gilet too warm – perhaps consider a lighter one?

Does anyone wear a Phantom next to their skin? Don’t want to be sweating and effecting the breathability of it.

I’ve got an old Phantom “Next2Skin”, which is designed to do just that, it’s a very impressive bit of kit, anything from about 6 degrees down it feels fine. It’s a bit tatty now, and doesn’t feel as soft as any of the other 4 soft shells I’ve got. I’d not wear any of the others next to my skin though, would feel a bit strange.

edhornby

in order of descending temperature

SS jersey
    SS jersey (waterproof gilet and armwarmers in rear pocket)
    SS jersey & LS baselayer (waterproof gilet in rear pocket)
    LS jersey & SS baselayer (waterproof gilet in rear pocket)
    LS jersey & LS baselayer (waterproof gilet in rear pocket)
    LS jersey & SS baselayer & Gilet (this is really flippin cold weather)

if it’s really cold and raining hard then LS baselayer under the boil-in-the-bag aldi waterproof jacket, but this is only a last resort

Yak

The thing about a windslam type jersey is that it replaces many other combos for the cooler months and all you need to think about is what baselayer to put under depending on conditions.

rascal
    Free Member

The DHB Windslam and the Endura Jetstream are pretty much the same thing though aren’t they – both can be worn next to skin without base layers if need be?

cloudnine
    Free Member

If you want to ride a road bike in the UK you almost need more outfit variations than your wife.
    Winter bibs, winter waterproof bibs, warm 3/4 bibs, warmer weather 3/4 bibs, bib shorts, thin socks, thick socks, long thick socks, shoe covers, waterproof overshoes, wind proof overshoes neoprene overshoes, thin ss base layer, ls base layers, merino base layers, merino buff, normal buff, finger less gloves, Shell gloves, winter gloves, lobster gloves, summer ss jersey, warmer ss jersey, ls jersey, warm waterproof jacket, thin gilet, thicker waterproof gilet, assortment of arm and leg warmers, glasses for rain, sun,

Add in the unpredictable weather and avoiding a colour clash faux pas and before you know it you’ll need a walk in wardrobe just to ride a road bike.

MoreCashThanDash

Gilet and arm warmers. Used to think they were just roadie affectations but it turns out that 100+ years of cycling means that those roadies know a thing or two.

iainc

I used to have a load of stuff for all eventualities. The Sportful Fiandre replaced most of them for the cooler weather. for the rest (over 10 deg) then I’m same as edhornby :

order of descending temperature

SS jersey
    SS jersey (waterproof gilet and armwarmers in rear pocket)
    SS jersey & LS baselayer (waterproof gilet in rear pocket)

peachos
    Free Member

…this, and cafe arrangements, is why we don’t do roadie stuff

mrblobby
    Free Member

Add in the unpredictable weather and avoiding a colour clash faux pas and before you know it you’ll need a walk in wardrobe just to ride a road bike.

There is much truth in this! I have an almost infinite combination of base, mid and outer layers, warmers, gloves, headgear, glasses (and lenses.) And then you need at least two pairs of most items if you’re out riding every day.

Quite an interesting article here on the Sportful site where GCN do a walk through of a Saxo Tinkoff rider training camp kit bag.

and cafe arrangements

No stopping on our rides!

terrahawk
    Free Member
    molgrips
    Free Member

Just a windproof for me – that is, a thin windproof layer (used to be pertex) with no insulation. Then a LS base layer underneath – sorted.

I can put as much insulation under the jacket as I want – add a fleece and it’s enough for cold weather. I don’t like windproof fleeces because you can’t remove the fleece and still have the windproof. And they cost a fortune.

Kryton57

An Altura Transformer is a thinner version of the Phantom – currently reduced to £49 at Evans. The shop not the weight weenie.

vincienup
    Free Member

Compression base layer plus 3/4 sleeve trail top for me.

If conditions warrant it I add a jacket.

I’ve found that even on hot days, the base layer is worth its weight in gold.

For commute, a Decathlon winter running top in Autumn/Winter and Decathlon running tee/vest in Spring/Summer, Howies Dyfi in the bag all the time for weather changes and NightVision jacket for wet weather and snow.

I think the answer to the OP’s question is ‘if you think you do, then yes.’ I always ride better when my kit isn’t bugging me, and I suspect this is true for most people.

bluebird
    Free Member

I use one of these:

http://road.cc/content/review/137570-sportful-rd-long-sleeve-wind-jersey

It’s great. Seems to be the perfect balance of warmth/windproof. If you get too warm you just open the zip and ditch heat.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Actually, going back and reading the OP properly…

The type of weather where a normal jersey can leave you cold as the wind rushes by due to your awesome speed – I’m talking road biking here.

If it’s that type of weather one of the new windproof base layers (like this or this) can be great. Just pair it with an appropriate jersey and you have a nice windproof front to keep the chills at bay.

mlpinto
    Free Member

Just seen the DHB windslam jerseys are £22.50 at the moment – seems to cheap not to try one out…

rascal
    Free Member

The DHB Windslam looks great for the money.
    The LS version is cheaper than the SS version but SS makes more sense as I can use that throughout the summer too, and use arm warmers if need be. Can’t really go wrong for £23 – love the look of the Sportful gear but very pricey.

butcher

A windstopper rarely works for me. At least when it comes to stopping wind. Well, that’s not true. It works fine at doing that, but the second you do it….or the second I do it, I start to sweat. At this time of year a baselayer and thermal jersey does the trick when it’s dry. Even in sub zero temps that keeps me warm. End up colder in any kind of windstopper because of the sweat.

If I’m being a wuss though, or maybe on a long descent (which is a good reason for a windstopper), a light gilet works well. Windproof jacket for a shortish ride in the rain.

I do still often go out in a windproof. But the only time I ever feel the benefit, is the first two minutes after leaving the house. Then it’s mostly negatives after that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Do I need a long sleeved windproof jersey?’ is closed to new replies.