Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Do I need a GPS device for MTBing?
  • kevin1911

I've been lucky enough to have won a Garmin Dakota 20 with full GB 1:50k OS mapping in a WhatMTB mag competition. However, I can't decide if I actually need one or what I would do with it. Most likely cos I don't actually know much about them. I've previously got by with paper maps, a compass, and lots and lots of backtracking to find out where I am, but would happily admit that if I was ever to be stuck on a mountain in poor visibility, I'd really struggle to know which way to scarper.

I do also get quite frustrated when trying to follow route guides.

So, is this GPS thingy going to be my saviour, or yet another thing to be endlessly faffing with instead of actually riding my bike?

Some specific questions:

1) Will it double up as an in-car sat-nav? I guess no voice guidance?
    2) Will it automatically record the routes I take, or to I have to save waymarks all the time?
    3) What software do I need on my PC to get the most out of it?
    4) Can I do away with bike computers now?
    5) Can it do more than say my phone can with Viewranger and/or Nokia SportsTracker?

Many thanks for your advice. I feel kind of embarassed asking – I'm supposed to be the gadget man in the family.

druidh
    Free Member

Need?

No.

druidh
    Free Member

1) Will it double up as an in-car sat-nav? I guess no voice guidance? No.
    2) Will it automatically record the routes I take,Yes
    3) What software do I need on my PC to get the most out of it? What is supplied?
    4) Can I do away with bike computers now? probably
    5) Can it do more than say my phone can with Viewranger and/or Nokia SportsTracker? Yes

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

The really useful bit is that you can plot a route on your PC and then follow it on the ground, no messing about trying to find your route etc. Everything else is just window-dressing, ie how much of a geek are you?

I have an Edge 705, love it.

nickjb
    Free Member

I've been playing with it on my phone and its quite handy. I still like paper maps and going where the track takes me but its a nice addition.

kevin1911

Druidh – I don't think any PC-software was provided with the box itself. I presumed the maps on the teeny-weeny little memory card are for the GPS only.

Paul – I can see the attraction in that for road riding, but for off road stuff, it's usually the stuff you can't see on the map that's the most interesting – but I guess there's not many sites where people publish their local treasures in a .gpx file.

I think I'm erring on the side of "it might be useful once or twice a year, but that's not enough to justify keeping it…" Anyone care to persaude me otherwise?

Andituk
    Free Member

It will work as car sat nav too, not anywhere near as good as TomTom, but it'll get you there. No voice as you say.

You don't need one, but its great to just ride without thinking about the route you're taking next. You just ride till it beeps, look down to check the direction, and carry on.

It doesn't come with any software. Something like MemoryMap is very handy to plot routes on then save to the Dakota, but there are free ways to do this I think, and theres loads of GPX files about on the net ready made.

Trekster

Garmin Dakota 20 with full GB 1:50k OS mapping

1)yes
    2)Yes
    3)do

t know
    6you got it for nowt why stress??

If I had the cash I might buy one.

Mate has just come back from a boarding trip in Canada and was raving about this thing last night.

imo and others it does not replace good old fashioned maps but what it can do is in your poor vision/getting lost example tell you where you are at the press of a button. Then find yourself on the map. Or if you have it switched on from start of ride use the retracing function.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Do I need a GPS device for MTBing?’ is closed to new replies.