Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Do I even need to wear clothes or MTFU?
  • stoofus
    Free Member

I’m having a clothing crisis. Help!

I’ve not got a massive selection of cycling clothes. I cycle 15 miles each way to work 3/4 times a week, normally shagged by Friday so don’t bother!

I’ve got the bottom half sorted, normally some DHB bib tights, but the top half is driving me nuts.

I’ve got a thermal top I love but it’s warm, cheap long sleeve decathlon (essentially a football) top, couple of short sleeve tops and an immense Endura gillet.

But I’m stuck on the jacket front. I’ve got a DHB Weston jacket which will be up for sale soon (if anyone fancies it), virtually unused as I get too hot in it, although it’d be fine for mountain biking or someone with a smaller frame than me as it’s too tight.

So do I buy a more expensive Jacket, say goretex or eVent – as I’ll need to have to have a waterproof stowed away anyway, or do I go for a windproof more breathable jacket and keep the DHB for those days when it’s pissing down.

Struggling at the moment as it’s too hot for the DHB but the rain’s coming down like nobody’s business.

Or should I just buy a long sleeve top, wear the gillet and STFU? But then what about those chilly winter wet days?

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH! Help.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d avoid waterproofs which just don’t breathe well enough IME.

Try some windstopper stuff. The light weight fabrics are brilliant in summer, but rare in cycling clothing. I got a oume running top which is ace. May not be easy to find in summer tho.

zaskar
    Free Member

Buy a stealth?

Or a wind proof breathable jacket with a light water proof packed as well.

Also for the rainy days-every day? have a decent water proof jacket.

I use a Endura Gridlock-yellow etc. Stealth for cold rainy days and bs layer/jersey combo for std dry days.

Personally this country is always wet or cold. Dress for that and except sunny warm days as a bonus.

julianwilson
    Free Member

i bought a gore (oxygen?) windstopper jacket and it is suprising how much rain it keeps out, only my commute is 3 miles not 15 so not sure if it would ‘wet though’. Also have a fox convert which is great for pretty much all rain provided you reproof it from time to time. Both less hot than a ‘proper’ waterproof (which i have and now only wear in proper winter).

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Event fabric is incredibly good, that said it’s summer it may be wet but it isn’t cold and your commute is only 15 miles so you don’t need a waterproof, so man the **** up.

HTH.

igm

Might not work for you but Aldi still have some of those ultralight waterproofs that pack down to coke can size left at £13ish – neon yellow or translucent white. Carry that and wear a windproof (Aldi also have some of those left at about £17) and you can’t be far wrong. They both appear to be decent kit this year, though I’ve only actually used the water proof in anger. Cheap chearful and surprisingly effective.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

some DHB bib tights

I’d rather go naked :o)

epicyclo

The answer is wool.

samuri
    Free Member

Buy a load of cheap shirts from aldi, and a packaway lightweight jacket like the Montane lite. It’s not cold so all you need is wind/water protection.

Personally I wear a normal lycra shirt even if there’s a bit of a shower. I carry a gillet if it’s windy plus a montane if it’s looking wet. Anything more in summer and I’d be just as wet from sweat in anything heavier. The key is to have layers you can remove or add quickly should the weather change. As soon as it’s dry then you need to be back into stuff that loses water quickly.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Do I even need to wear clothes or MTFU?’ is closed to new replies.