Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Do bike helmets 'go off'?
  • hp_source

I'm looking for a new helmet, and I've seen a few on offer that are 2005/6 age, obviously they're new, unused & boxed etc. But is there any issue just with 'age' of a helmet?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I've just bought one much older than that so I believe not!

Stoner
    Free Member

its UV exposure that "ages" the material.

If it's been stored out of the way properly it shouldnt have degraded substantially.

Bimbler
    Free Member

MET think their helmets last for about 8 years

How do met make their helmets

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

motorcycle helmet manufacturers (which use the same basic materials) usually recommend a lifespan of 5 years for a helmet in use, whether its been crashed or not, due to the damage caused by UV, so suggesting they have a shelf life too.

I dont replace my m/cycle or cycle lids that often and am always dubious of manufacturers recommendations – they have a vested interest in encouraging replacement. I would buy a new old-stock lid if it was suitably reduced in price – my 661 from CRC cost £39 and from the colour scheme I knew it was a few years old.

tinsy
    Free Member

The real killers are sweat and as mentioned sunlight. If you use it a lot and you would like to rely on it helping you out when you need it change it every now and then.
    Something stored in a shop should still be fine unless its been in the window.

I bought my xen in 05 its ferked… not its fault just used a lot, crashed in, de laminating cracked and definately fit for the bin.

Stoner
    Free Member

BTW more on the subject in a thread I started last month
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-helmet-time-what-should-i-be-looking-at

When inspecting the old helmet, before crushing it, I found there was quite a large crack in one of the main members, meaning it would have been almost useless in a good crash.

Checking is as important as remembering to replace.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Do bike helmets 'go off'?’ is closed to new replies.