Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Does anyone here also go carp fishing?
  • ski
    Free Member

Just started to get back into carp fishing after a 15 year break!

Just wondering is there a STW carp forum equivalent?

Looking to ask some basic/stupid questions, such as, what mono line is good for a gravel pit lake, etc. 😉

dynebaruk
    Free Member

Don’t go anymore, but used to do a lot.

Always went on carpforum.co.uk

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Funnily enough went to sumners ponds in Sussex last week. Never been actual carp fishing before but used to fish a lot when younger before education interrupted my budding match fishing career. Anyway I went into the on site tackle shop and asked for some maggots. It was like those bars in the Wild West when the killer walks in. Everyone stopped to stare! Anyway ended up buying some boilies and catching a couple. Will go back with some stronger tackle as my Avon rod wasn’t really up to it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I go camping which as far as I can see is the same thing.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I go camping which as far as I can see is the same thing.

😆 Brilliant!

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I try to fish for Carp, quite enjoy it actually but it’s like any hobby, the more you get into it, the more money you ‘need’ to spend and if you watch the tv programmes jeeez it’ll make your head spin! Rigs, Baits, Tactics it’s not as simple as it was when I was a young lad!

jimwah
    Free Member

Been a few years since I could devote any real time to it, but I always went for Fox mainline, it was usually cheap for a big spool, and I never had any issues. I was fishing with 12lb or 15lb with my 2.5lb Carp rods with big Daiwa pit reels at the time. Learn how to set up a simple (semi fixed) ledger, hair rig, and a short string of boilies on PVA string. You could spend days learning/trying different rigs but that to me, is a solid base to start fishing for bigger carp.

A year or two ago I scaled down to 1.75lb test curve rods, small baitrunners and 6-8lb line which makes the better tench/bream a bit more fun while still having a hope of hanging on to something better (eg 14lb Mirror out of the canal last year). Since we just had a baby, I’ll be grateful just to get out with the match rod and float this year 😉

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yes used to love it. Haven’t done any course fishing since moving to Oz. Sadly carp here are non native and not liked. They are talking about releasing carp herpes to kill off carp from the rivers! Used to love a good night session.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone here also go carp fishing?’ is closed to new replies.