Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Do any of you warm up before a ride?
  • Smee
    Free Member

If so, what do you do and why?

Kuco

I normally go for a shit but thats about it other than starting off steady.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I find I soon warm up once I start pedalling…
    be aware pre-ride stretching has been found to be harmful

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

nope just get bike out of car make sure crown jewels are in the right place and off i go steady 8)

tankslapper
    Free Member

Hell no! Just pray its an easy 10 mins before the first massive climb (It is Wales!) 😆

GlenMore
    Free Member

Only if I'm participating in a Sportive or similar as there's less opportunity for a slow/steady start.

theotherjonv

takes me 10-15 mins to get my asthmatic lungs opened up, so if it's a ride I (try) to take it easy for that time, if it's a race I try to do 10-15 mins gentle stuff and then arrive at the start line ready to go.

Stretching and that shit. Nah…..

ooOOoo
    Free Member

15 min ride to the trails, then stretch cos I'm getting old, ride like a ****, go home, weights, beer.

flatfish
    Free Member

i normally do but thats because i'm normally cold waiting for my riding buddy to stop mincing about fettling and fixing his bike coz he hasn't bothered to fix it since his last ride when it broke.

tootin

I spend about 5+ mins stretching. Head to toe. Pulling muscles really hurt

0091paddy
    Free Member

CBA, and I've never pulled a muscle (bet I will now though)

The guys I train with on the road don't either..

llama

Yes I always carry a turbo trainer, HR monitor, and power meter with me. I hide around the corner and warm up before I get to where we are meeting. Then I show up and smoke my mates from the off.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

stretching 'cold' muscles is asking for trouble 🙁

zaskar
    Free Member

I take it easy and build up after 30 mins or 6 miles etc.

I usually stretch on non riding days to keep supple/flexi.

Also try a warm/hot shower before you ride but make sure you are super dry before going out or will freeze.

Wear your kit in your house for 20 mins and you'll add warmth to your tissues.

SFB is right stretching cold tissues can cause tears, limits power for nearly 30mins and should be done after the warm up.

Gentle stretches after a ride sure.

You can condition the body based on warm up rides, stretch on non ride days and stretching before an event can sap power according the american journal sports medicine 2009.

tootin

I warm up the muscles beforehand, a couple of laps of a circuit, then i stretch
    Forgot to mention that 🙂

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I have a quick stretch of the legs, they always feel tight if I don't. Malt loaf and a cup of tea as well.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I do sometimes do a warm-up session with guests, especially if it's the first morning of the trip, we have to go straight into a steep climb and they're tired/hungover/not acclimatised.

I usually do a wee skills session, teach manuals or something like that. It's useful, fun and people get pretty thoroughly warmed-up without even realising.

avdave2

My commute home begins at the bottom of Bear Road in Brighton, I find I'm plenty warm enough by the time I reach the top. It would be nice to have a more gentle start. If I'm starting early in the morning I do try to start slowly until I'm warmed up but later in the day I don't feel the need for it.

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Before a TT or a shortish race I am on the rollers, otherwise no.

Cold stretching is a big no no not only because it can actually damage your muscles, ligaments and tendons but can also reduce your power output!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I find the problem is joint mobility. After driving somewhere I'm all crabby and tight so I ride crap. The first climb is usually hurtful but gets me hot. Then I get off the bike and flex the joints properly, esp lower back, and all is well.

It looks weird, but I find that "mincing" unlocks my hips and lower back a treat.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Goan dude, you're stackin 'em in!!!!

If it's not a race I don't warm up as such, but I normally spin a lower gear for the first 20 mins. Much like I would warming a car up really.

SB

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

I turn the heater up on the van if it's nippy out.

snakebite
    Free Member

hip flask warms me just fine before during and after..

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Do any of you warm up before a ride?’ is closed to new replies.