Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Dmr v8s utter S*%te
  • reedspeed
    Free Member

Does anyone else have dmr v8s & think they’re pants ?,I’m forever greasing them through the little hole,or there’s play in them,I can’t take up the play as the nut on the end of the shaft is tight,then today I’ve noticed when I’ve come in the dust caps missing off the end and they’re slack as piss !..

They’re goin in the bin a reckon for some maintainable free jobs !,any recommendations ????.

LoCo
    Free Member

Never had any issues with mine, although the v12s are nicer feeling

sbob
    Free Member

reedspeed – Member

any recommendations?

Learn how to look after simple bearings?

I can’t take up the play as the nut on the end of the shaft is tight

You weren’t trying to tighten the lock nut to reduce the play, were you?

unknown
    Free Member

Very fit and forget in my experience. I’ve a couple of pairs on different bikes, never done any maintenance of any kind on them, and while they’re maybe not as smooth as they were, still work perfectly fine.

Northwind

They’re very ordinary pedals at a weirdly high price but they’re not as bad as all that.

wwaswas

Owner not understanding how pedals assembled blames pedal shocker.

sharkattack

I’m always surprised when I see people still using DMR V’s of 8 or 12 style. They haven’t aged well at all. Once upon a time they were the best you could get but there was no competitors. Now there a hundreds of flat pedals at every price point with much bigger, flatter, grippier platforms.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

The cheap wellgo v12 copys are far superior. And they are exactly the same without the DMR name.

acehtn
    Free Member

Mine are only 10years old, regular grease up, and maybe once a year they have a full strip down and deep clean, rebuild and regrease, still on orignal bearings (loose balls) and never lost the plastic push in end caps.

Also have a 5 year old pair of V12 mags, never serviced them, smashed the crap out of them, really need a rebuild now, maybe a new axle, ripped out some pins mincing down fort william WC track.

Toying with trying out the V8mags next, or maybe Vaults for a change.

sbob
    Free Member

pbooker1995 – Member

The cheap wellgo v12 copys are far superior. And they are exactly the same without the DMR name.

Far superior and exactly the same?
    Interesting concept.

sbob
    Free Member

acehtn – Member

Mine are only 10years old

13 here, but they are completely shagged now.
    I think I slipped off them once, partaking in some low speed tomfoolery.
    Never slipped off them in anger, wearing Vans, Etnies, iPath, DC, Timberland et cetera (whatever is going cheap at TK).

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Sorry, that came out wrong.

Meant, the V12’s are better than the V8’s as i think they have sealed bearings. But the wellgo and DMR’s are the same.

pitduck
    Free Member

mine have been fine(for years)

sharkattack

v12 copys are far superior. And they are exactly the same

Classic line, thanks for that. I did a real life LOL

acehtn
    Free Member

😀

V8 = loose ball bearings ally cage and 8 pins can be changed, plastic push in end axle cap, grease port.

V12mag = outer sealed bearing, inner bushed, magnesium cage (ally available) and all pins can be replaced, not just the corner pins like V8s, threaded alloy axle endcap, no grease port.

So hopefully Sbob my V8s will make teenage years, then get all moody, go goth or worse Emo then fall apart 😀 still good going only cost about £22 back when i got them. The local yoofs that race them seem to go through them in short order, to them, run them into the ground, grind the bearings into powder, jetwash them to death, then get the spangly colour thats in vogue and start the process again, pocket money pedals was something i heard them called.

banks
    Free Member

Love mine, the only bit of kit I have from I first started riding except scars.

sbob
    Free Member

only cost about £22 back when i got them

I paid £20 as the paint was a bit iffy. 8)

The local yoofs that race them seem to go through them in short order, to them, run them into the ground, grind the bearings into powder, jetwash them to death, then get the spangly colour thats in vogue and start the process again

Sadly, ’tis the way of the modern world.

char34
    Free Member

superstars nano

johnhe

At £20 for a set of V8’s they take a lot of beating. I agree there are plenty of other flat pedals available, but I’m amazed at how much many of them cost. I’ve been riding V8’s for years. Yes, occasionally a pair wear out, but at £24 or whatever, it’s hardly heartbreaking.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I can’t kill my V8s. I greased them up from new and have only touchdown them once in the 4-5 years since. Can’t see a reason to spend any more money, TBH.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Does anyone else have dmr v8s & think they’re pants ?

Nope.

When new, and before installation, I always rebuild them, fill them with good waterproof grease (Castrol CL or Morris K99), and adjust the bearing preload correctly.

Between us we have three sets, the oldest of which must be over 5 years old, and as good as the day they were bought.

I made up this larger syringe for re-greasing duties.

20ml syringe, clear radio control nitro engine fuel hose, 4BA/M4 nipple to fit V8 Greaseport. I glue the hose to the syringe with two-part epoxy for added security.

I fill with Castrol LM water resistant calcium grease, and use the full 20ml per pedal to push all the old dirty grease out.

ads678

Paid £25 ish a few years ago for mine. Not too pricey I don’t think. Superstars nano’s are about £40. Only ever squirted a bit of grease in once when they felt a bit gritty, otherwise been fault less.

If I was buying now I would probably go for something thinner, but i’ve gone back to spd’s so will just keep the v8’s as spares.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Got a set if V12 mags going spare – £20 posted

reedspeed
    Free Member

I do like em That’s actually why I bought em !,it’s just the f**+ing about with a syringe & bits fallin off !,al Ava look at em tommora !.

Can’t afford any Hope f20’s at mo …

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Dmr v8s utter S*%te’ is closed to new replies.