Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • DMR V8 servicing tool alternative?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

there another option for getting the bite point on the cup and cone correct without this tool?

I could buy it but I was wanting to service the pedal tonight. So if there’s another way please share! 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

No-one got a handy bodge for this?

bokonon
    Free Member

I’ve never used one on mine – not sure what bit it is used to tighten up, but have never had issues with a collection of sockets, spanners and screwdrivers, couple of goes at trial and error to get the right tightness across the two nuts and bob is your uncle – easy stuff.

Phil_H

So much easier with the 4 quid tool though 🙂

bokonon
    Free Member

What does it do exactly? I really can’t work it out.

(also – £4 tool to service £22 pedals isn’t great value when you can do it with standard tools)

Phil_H

Holds the cone still while you tighten up the lock nut.

Phil_H

If you think £4 is poor value you should see the price of the shimano spd pedal cone tool!!

bradley
    Free Member

Definitely going to service my pedals this evening once the children are asleep. Thanks.

thorpedo

If I remember correctly there is a flat on the axle and the washer which prevents rotation of the cone when tightening of the nut.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have serviced many v8 pedals and never knew a tool existed.
    All you I use is flat bladed screwdriver like an electrical test screw driver and a socket.
    Tighten the cone up and then tighten the lock nut. if its too tight undo the lock nut a bit. Undo the cone 1/8 of a turn by sticking the screwdriver down the side of the lock nut onto one of the cone flats then re tighten the lock nut. Repeat until the desired tension is achieved.

As mentioned above the washer and axle have a flat mating edge to prevent rotation.

I’m going to have a look at the tool though out of curiosity

seosamh77
    Free Member

Cool, tbh I really only wanted to know it’s doable before I pull the pedal apart, I want to be able to ride the bike tomorrow! I can see how a screw driver would probably work!

i shall bodge away! 🙂 cheers.

zbonty

They do a tool? Always used a screwdriver myself.

davo
    Free Member

They do a tool? I always throw them in the bin when there fecked after 5 years of abuse and buy some new ones 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

Just finished, was easy enough, screw jammed down the side to screw in and out the cone. when putting it all back together just had to leave the cone a touch lose so that when I tightened the lock nut it tightened it into to place, took a couple of goes to hit the sweet spot.

But aye, easy enough. £25 on new pedals saved! 😀

(added to savings fitting a new bottom bracket, doing the rear bearings/ fitting a new hub body/ and stripping and cleaning the entire drivetrain of junk.) few quid saved anyhow! just need to fit pads and bleed the brakes now 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘DMR V8 servicing tool alternative?’ is closed to new replies.