Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • DJs – anyone use Traktor?
  • ourkidsam
    Free Member

Downloaded the trial and having a go. It looks like to get the best out of it I’m going to need an external sound card for a separate headphone out and a MIDI controller.

What do you use?

alexxx
    Free Member

I used a Ohm64 and my soundcard -asus xonar dx can give two outputs with a bodge so I use that,

You can spend as much or as little as you’ll like- you dont need a midi device to be good at mixing on traktor – the joy of using software based programs is you can be creative and work around problems quite easily

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Do you know if you can setup keyboard shortcuts for the faders? I’ve found the shortcuts for loops and cues

alexxx
    Free Member

not done it personally but im sure you could or even get a second keyboard and someone will have premapped something with some various midi mapping programes, best bet is to get your ass on the traktor forum

you can get a cheap midi device with knobs and a xfade for under £100 – that’s probably not a bad start if your into it

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Nice one, cheers

rewski
    Free Member

I use tractor dj on my mac with no other external devices and no extra soundcards. It’s fine if you just want to put mixes together, not ideal if your live mixing for parties because you hear the cue deck. On the whole it’s pretty awesome, although watch out for tracks with the wrong bpm data, I use a bpm counter widget if I suspect a track as the wrong bpm, have fun, in no time you’ll be mixing 4 decks and using reverb.

_tom_
    Free Member

My mates seem to get on well with Virtual DJ, although it looks like it does a lot of the hard work for you.

tops5
    Free Member

Virtual DJ here with Hercules steel controller – really starting to get the hang of it now. Love it!

ianv
    Free Member

How does traktor compare to ableton?

Futureboy77

I’ve just ditched Traktor Scratch Pro and went back to using USB & Pioneer CDJs. I just couldn’t get in to it. That being said it took me ages to move from 1210’s to CDJs so maybe i’m a bit of a luddite! 😉

How does traktor compare to ableton?

Never used it but from what i’ve heard its more suited to production/remixing rather than live dj’ing.

ianv
    Free Member

Ableton works pretty well for djing, Sasha and Richie Hawtin use it!!

Ive not played it out but its really easy to get 5 or 6 tracks playing at the same time, and you can be really creative with effects etc. But I have yet to work out how to record sets.

andymtb
    Free Member

I use Traktor Pro on a MacBook Pro with a Audio 8 soundcard and a Vestax VCI 100 controller. Been using them together for about 2 years 3-4 nights a week.
    Much easier to DJ with a controller it gives you a more tacktile sense of control. However I combine it with keyboard shortcuts which in the absence of a real controller work really well if you put the effort into setting them up.
    As a basic DJ setup you need a sound card with at least 2 outputs so you can plug in headphones.

Great piece of software, would never go back. But you do need to put the effort into learning how it works and setting it up for yourself.
    Enjoy!

evel_kneivel
    Free Member

I use Traktor Scratch Duo alongside a regular 2 turntable and mixer setup. Absolutely love it. You can get Scratch Duo for £150 now (thats half what I paid) and that will come with the Audio 4 DJ soundcard allowing you to monitor with headphones.

As for a midi Controller, I have an Akai LPD8 which I use for triggering cue points and controlling effects. Something even as simple as this I think you could map to allow you to do most things along with keyboard shortcuts. Pretty much depends what you are looking to do.

grumm
    Free Member

Prefer Serato personally, USED WITH REAL TURNTABLES AND VINYL RECORDS!!!!! 😛

tomstickland
    Free Member

I downloaded Virtual DJ a year or so ago and found that really easy to get going with. I already had a lot of experience of beat matching with a cruddy old pair of CD decks though.

pomona
    Free Member

Personally I prefer Ableton. I run it with an Akai APC40 and a Novation controller keyboard on a Macbook Pro

It just seems to fit better with the way I want to work. I know others that swear by Traktor and others that love Serrato.
    The best bet is to try them all and see which one fits the way you work best.

The thing I love about Ableton is the ability to make my own wee loops and bring them into the mix.

grumm
    Free Member

The ultimate of course is http://www.ableton.com/thebridge

alexxx
    Free Member

whats the crack with that then does serato need any hardware or is it optional? and traktor could just sync with the midi clock of ableton, isnt that kinda what the bridge offers just slightly more refined?

Futureboy77

Ableton works pretty well for djing, Sasha and Richie Hawtin use it!!

Sasha has ditched it for his live sets.

But I have yet to work out how to record sets

Audacity or i use an IKey recorder which has been pretty tip top.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘DJs – anyone use Traktor?’ is closed to new replies.