Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • DIY tubeless sealant?
  • alfabus
    Free Member

I’ve been using JRA wheel milk for a few years now, before that I was using stans.

Starting to get annoyed at spending top dollar on something that looks a lot like PVA glue.

Has anyone got any recipes for DIYing some tubeless solution?

Dave

Scapegoat

You can get a pint of Stans for 13 quid. Each pint is enough to treat four pairs of tyres. That’s £1.63 per tyre. About one third of the price of an innertube. Top dollar?

alfabus
    Free Member

wheelmilk is £15 per litre, so even loss than that 😳

Still feels like pouring money away….

Stoner
    Free Member

I use liquid latex from eBay at 2:1 mix.

comes out at about £3 a pint.

frogstomp

Isn’t that just diluting it? What do you use in place of the crystals (mica apparantly) that do the ‘clogging up’ of the hole..?

Stoner
    Free Member

Isn’t that just diluting it?

That’s exactly what it is 😉

Straight from the bottle it’s not quite runny enough.

bulking ingredients rather depend on what kind of punctures you get – for me its almost always snakebites (redundant now Ive gone tubeless) and hawthorn.

If I were putting bigger cuts in the tyre then maybe Id think of using something else, but latex plugs thorn holes perfectly well.

svalgis
    Free Member

Still feels like pouring money away….

Just think of it as part of the cost of a tyre and it suddenly seems quite insignificant.

alfabus
    Free Member

Just think of it as part of the cost of a tyre and it suddenly seems quite insignificant.

fair point for the first time I put a tyre on, but what about if I want to change tyres? I have to spend money to swap to mud tyres, or to put on bigger freeride tyres instead of XC tyres.

Don’t get me wrong, I love tubeless, but I don’t want to pay through the nose for a consumable if there is a way to buy the same stuff cheaper just because it has a different label on it.

Dave

Scapegoat

you can use latex, water, glitter and cheesegrated innertubes apparently. 😀

svalgis
    Free Member

fair point for the first time I put a tyre on, but what about if I want to change tyres? I have to spend money to swap to mud tyres, or to put on bigger freeride tyres instead of XC tyres.

Don’t get me wrong, I love tubeless, but I don’t want to pay through the nose for a consumable if there is a way to buy the same stuff cheaper just because it has a different label on it.
    Fair point. I usually don’t swap tyres unless they’re worn down myself but understand it might be an issue if you do. Oh, and I didn’t mean to imply that you’re wrong in pursuing other options or anything – I’m generally a fan of ghetto solutions myself. Good luck!

Scapegoat

I love the fettlling aspect. Google wss opensource ghetto sealant for a discussion on it.

RobHilton
    Free Member

cheesegrated innertubes

Defnly preferrable than trying to grind up tyre knobbles – tried it, failed, killed blades in spice grinder 🙁

There’s a big thread on MTBR about homebrew goop.

br
    Free Member

Buy more wheels.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Scapegoat – Member
    you can use latex, water, glitter and cheesegrated innertubes apparently.

I’ve often wondered if coffee grinds would work ?(keeping it eco like..)

Scapegoat

I’ve often wondered if coffee grinds would work ?(keeping it eco like..)

Mariposa Caffelatex sealant perhaps?
    http://twentynineinches.com/2009/04/06/effetto-mariposa-%e2%80%9ccaffelatex%e2%80%9d-tire-sealant-first-impressions/

eviljoe
    Free Member

Foaming sealant…

Should be Lattelatex surely?

coopersport1
    Free Member

I have a big syringe and reuse as much as I can, often mix it back in with some fresh and it extends the life. It’s never caused me any problems

mefty
    Free Member

Tubes can be patched and don’t dry out so comparing the cost of one tube to one refill of gloop is disingenuous.

cnud
    Free Member

I make my own for about half the price of Stans. 2.5 litres for about £26

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I bought one of these…

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Roofing%20&%20Drainage/Roof%20Compound%20&%20Waterseals/Latex%20Liquid/d250/sd2809/p27583

one of these…

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOOP-Inner-Tube-Tubed-Tubeless-Tyre-Sealant-Puncture-Repair-BMX-500ml-Bottle-/200847272881?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2ec36e2bb1

and some cheapo windscreen washer fluid from tesco and mixed it all up in a plastic milk bottle which is handy to shake around cos of the handle.

Can’t remember my exact ratios, but something like 4 parts latex 1 part goop, 1 part windscreen fluid.

Does a grand job and doesn’t dry up like stans.

svalgis
    Free Member

I make my own for about half the price of Stans. 2.5 litres for about £26

Care to share how?

Scapegoat

mefty – Member
    Tubes can be patched and don’t dry out so comparing the cost of one tube to one refill of gloop is disingenuous.

You can’t hang used latex on trees by the side of the red run at Llandegla either. 😀

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I use this from on-one NRG, its £10 for 2 bottles and a syringe. Works VERY well

docstar
    Free Member

I use this kind of stuff Link was given a jar by one of the flooring guys on a site I was on. Working well so far.

cookeaa

I use liquid latex from eBay at 2:1 mix.
    comes out at about £3 a pint.

I do the same. I did fanny about for a while trying out additives but in the end it’s far less bother to just mix some goo and squirt it in than grind up tyres or tubes for no real benefits.

Andy-R

This is where Mark Datz should be along to suggest that you add some duck down or “fevvers, from a duk dude”. If you could chop them up small they’d probably work with a very fluid sealant. Or not…….

cnud
    Free Member

2 parts car tyre Slime ( its got chunks in to fill holes) 1 part Modellers liquid Latex 2 parts distilled water although as mentioned above some people have suggested windscreen wash. Works a treat

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Very true, but then you’ve got to consider time spent patching tubes, or fixing that slow puncture that suddenly becomes a quick one just before you leave the house, time which could be spent riding.

Sealant lasts about 5-6 months, so it’d be unusual to need to top it up more than twice in any tyre. Contrast to the number of binned tubes with holes to big to repair in an average year?

mefty
    Free Member

I run 3 mountain bikes, I doubt I chucked one tube a year out when i ran them all with tubes. I now need to refill two of them once a year so I haven’t bothered converting my least used one as it would be uneconomic. If I make my own gloop I may.

hora
    Free Member

250ml a tyre? Err oops I only put asplash in last night. Bad? Tyre is still inflated and no thorns in the peaks..

njee20
    Free Member

I run 3 mountain bikes, I doubt I chucked one tube a year out when i ran them all with tubes. I now need to refill two of them once a year so I haven’t bothered converting my least used one as it would be uneconomic. If I make my own gloop I may.

I’ve never patched a tube in my life – life’s too short. Sealant is cheap!

scruff
    Free Member

I read that you can put glitter into the mix. Not the peado one.

mefty
    Free Member

I’ve never patched a tube in my life – life’s too short. Sealant is cheap!

Life’s too short to go to the bike shop to buy new tubes – homemade sealant is cheaper.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘DIY tubeless sealant?’ is closed to new replies.