Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • DIY Tarp
  • unsponsored
    Free Member

I’m making another tarp and thought I’d time and talk through the process (pics to follow).

Weapon of choice –

Husqvama make chain saws as well as thread injectors.

Ok, 20 mins ago I measured out some of my white spinnaker material. Its a little longer then my 1st tarp at almost 3m’s.

The hems have been tripled rolled pinned and re-enforcement points have also been pinned in place.

The tarp is now ready to be sewn. I am using a straight stitch, length is set at two on my machine, so a small length of stitch but not the smallest.

More here – http://www.bikeandbivi.co.uk

With guy lines and stuff sack this comes in at 164g

STW needs more DIY projects like this.
    I think it’s brilliant, and I’m not even sure what it is.
    Some sort of made to measure basha for biviing I take it ?

Stoner
    Free Member

Nice. My mum used to make bivvi tarps for Bob @ backpackinglight.co.uk

Used much the same technique with reinforcing panels (although mums has the benefit of an overlocker)

Are you planning on using brass eyelets or cloth loops sewn into the reinforcement areas? A combination of both isnt a bad idea. Its also a good idea to stitch a reinforcement patch in the middle of the tarp to take another cloth loop as it gives you another option for suspension.

Stoner
    Free Member

well between, you, me, unsponsored, troutie and smudge and probably a number of others ive forgotten (tuboferret’s battery holder?) we’ve got a quite a bit of DIY stuff going on. But Id love to see more.

Im spending more time on boin-boing these days and interested in the “maker” movement.

unsponsored
    Free Member

The above was mark I currently out on test. Mark II is longer and with different guying points. I have a few MYOG projects under my belt – pertex hammock, hammock underquilts, top quilts and now a couple of ultralight tarps.

Most are on here – http://www.bikeandbivi.co.uk

unsponsored
    Free Member

It’s also dead easy to make a tarp like this without any sewing at all. Not even using glue. That will be my next project. Just need to pick up a few bits and bobs.

Stoner
    Free Member

without any sewing at all

intrigued…

unsponsored
    Free Member

Here is one of my top quilts. 800 fill goose down. Pertex Microlight fabric

Stoner
    Free Member

This one is mine.
    Used with a jagbag double silk liner as bedding for two.

500g of 800 down

(BTW this is our site with some of our lightweight kit stuff and where it was used http://pompinos.blogspot.com/ )

unsponsored
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

that plastic guyline locker is too heavy 🙂

Looks good. Do you have sail material lying around or buy off cuts on eBay?

bajsyckel

nice work unsponsored- though seems absurdly light to me 😉 Who do you use as a supplier for your fabrics by the way? I’ve used a couple of places in the past, but always interested in recommendations.

unsponsored
    Free Member

I use a few suppliers but this lot came from ebay. Uploaded a few more pics – http://www.bikeandbivi.co.uk

cynic-al
    Free Member

I am needing a lightweight tarp, interested in any DIY that does not involve sewing…tho my mum still has a machine I could use.

Stoner – Member
    well between, you, me, unsponsored, troutie and smudge and probably a number of others ive forgotten (tuboferret’s battery holder?) we’ve got a quite a bit of DIY stuff going on. But Id love to see more.

Im spending more time on boin-boing these days and interested in the “maker” movement.

*coughs*

IMAG0552.jpg by alan cole, on Flickr

😛

Stoner
    Free Member

Isnt that DIY as in “suicide”?

😛

unsponsored
    Free Member

Thats got serious injury written all over it.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Awesome work fella…

I’ve just got a Sill Tarp, otherwise I’d be asking you to make me one.. 🙂

unsponsored
    Free Member

Planning a sil tarp. Materials arrived from the states earlier this week. Stealth Black!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Unsponsored…how so?

unsponsored
    Free Member

Bits are ready for the no sew build.

cynic-all – looks like a lot of leverage on the seat post/ rear drop outs. And hows does person 2 pedal/sit down?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

How & what did you make the quilt out of??

Stoner
    Free Member

Tee2 – I cant answer for unsponsored but I made mine out of pertex and goose down.

I sewed through the duvet rather than build box section.

Make up the duvet with all the sections sewed in but leave one side open, then stuff handfuls of down in each section so that it’s evenly distributed, use a hairdryer to get the down well down the section and out of the way of the opening if you need to and then stitch over the end.

unsponsored
    Free Member

Pertex microlight and Siberian goose down.

redthunder
    Free Member

5 quid from What!

unsponsored
    Free Member

redthunder ?

redthunder
    Free Member

You can buy a tarp from any tat shop for about a fiver.

However, yours is quite tidy and not made in china.

unsponsored
    Free Member

RRP on the fabric is £75 per metre!

http://www.bikeandbivi.co.uk a few more myog stuff added.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘DIY Tarp’ is closed to new replies.