• This topic has 19 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Solo.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • DIY Rollers
  • molgrips
    Free Member

As in training rollers. Anyone tried it? Rollers are way more expenisve than they should be, and you can get conveyor belt parts for cheap on ebay…

mrblobby
    Free Member

How cheap do you want? I got these Planet X Core rollers. 110 quid now. Identical to the more expensive Sports Crafter ones, and look very similar indeed to the 200 quid cycleops ones too.

Edit… having read your post on the other thread, you can get resistance ones but I didn’t like the feel of it (maybe it’s the lack of flywheel) and got a normal drum to replace the resistance one.

Solo
    Free Member

How cheap do you want? I got these Planet X Core rollers. 110 quid now.

They appear to be a rather cheeky copy of the cyclops rollers.

mrblobby
    Free Member

They appear to be a rather cheeky copy of the cyclops rollers.

I think Sports Crafters make them all and sell their own version. Planet X sell them for 110 quid. Cycleops sell them for 200 quid.

molgrips
    Free Member

How cheap do you want?

£20 🙂

Edit… having read your post on the other thread, you can get resistance ones

Yeah I think I looked at resistance before and decided it was too expensive anyway.

Solo
    Free Member

😯

mrblobby
    Free Member

Photos and video when built please 🙂

wwaswas

I’d like a video of the first ride, too 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Although.. resistance coupled with a big piece of ply that can be inclined.. could be good..

Blobby – did the resistance not go all the way down to zero?

bland

Ah hes after hill training rollers!

Solo
    Free Member

cookeaa

I looked at the same thing last winter, it’s not just the rollers you’ll need a base of some sort, a belt and something to keep it from skating across the roller, I came to the conclusion that once I’d acquired all the parts I needed, and put it together I wouldn’t have saved much actual money and it would probably be summer…

But I do still want some rollers, if you come up with a good home-brewed version for under £50 let me have the parts list…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Blobby – did the resistance not go all the way down to zero?

Nope, not adjustable, just a progressive resistance. I replaced that drum with the Sports Crafters branded one that can be run with progressive resistance, or turned around and run with no resistance.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Solo, that looks like something out of the Flintstones!

nickc

Those two pictures don’t look at all dangerous 😆

Edit: 3 pictures… Picture number going up, safety doesn’t seem to be getting any better

wwaswas

one for the mtb?

Solo
    Free Member

Rubber_Buccaneer – Member
    Solo, that looks like something out of the Flintstones!

Umm, they’re Paleo rollers, actually.
    😆

and it would probably be summer…
    😆

I will add, most, if not all OEM rollers now have an almost imperceptable surface contour to help you stay central on the rollers.
    Riding on non-profiled cylinders will increase the “wander” across the rollers.

nemesis
    Free Member

What could possibly go wrong? 🙂

Solo
    Free Member

nickc – Member
    Those two pictures don’t look at all dangerous

I’m not sure what the contraption underneath the black specialized, is meant to be, but in that orientation, the weight distribution of the rider will be altered to a weight forward, riding position.

Solo
    Free Member

nemesis – Member
    What could possibly go wrong?

The STW forum hommage to Top Gear. Molgrips STW challenge. Build a set of cycling rollers…

How hard can it be…..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘DIY Rollers’ is closed to new replies.