Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • DIY question – Replacing Euro cylinder in UPVC door
  • lunge

Simply, how easy is this job to do?
    It’s a new house (to us) and so i’d like to change the locks, rather than getting a locksmith out I figured I’d do it myself. YouTube suggests it’s quite an easy job, in the real world is that the case?

And indeed the same question for up and over garage door locks. Though I may yet just replace the whole mechanism for this.

Thanks all.

nickjb
    Free Member

Literally a 30 second job. Undo the screw in the side and slide it out using the key.

Garage door depends on the lock. Some are euro with a seperate barrel so the same as above. If it is in the middle of the handle then you generally replace the whole handle

Pieface

Loads of vids on YouTube

z1ppy

Very easy, though can be fiddly & cause you to start panicking half way through was my experience (replaced 3 locks). Screwfix will have the replacement barrels you need

Cougar

Point of note, regular Euro-cylinders can be defeated in about 30 seconds. Get one of these instead.

https://www.abs-secure.co.uk/

bails

It’s very easy. I bought replacement keyed-alike locks from lockandkey.co.uk*, one key opens every lock in the house now.

Just remove all the current locks by undoing the screw in the door, turning the key by about a quarter of a turn, and pulling the cylinder out, measure them, and order matching sizes (Assuming they don’t poke out like this: , if they do then order shorter ones).

*If you’re paranoid about someone else knowing your address and having keys then get a friend/relative to order them and have them delivered to their address, not yours.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘DIY question – Replacing Euro cylinder in UPVC door’ is closed to new replies.