Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • DIY question – loose screws…
  • DT78
    Free Member

Just replaced a door handle and the screws don't grip so it looks like the hole in the wood is a bit too big.

Can I just use filler on the hole and then drill/use screw? Or is there a specific product I should use?

As it's for a door handle I need it to hold as it will be being pulled on etc…

iDave
    Free Member

pack the holes with matchsticks

tron
    Free Member

PVA glue and matchsticks. You stick a bit of PVA glue in, hammer in some matchsticks (best if you burn the heads off first). Let it all dry and you can screw in as normal.

Worked for me on door handles and door frame hinges in the past.

john_drummer
    Free Member

or you could use a fatter screw, if you can get one to go through the hole in the handle

project
    Free Member

Tap the door gently ound the handle with your finger, it may be a hollow preformed door and the door may have been fitted the wrong way round, as there is only a block on one side of the door.

Or PVA and matchsticks.

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks guys I'll give the matchstick tip a try, have to wait till tomorrow though.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I'm surprised that you didn't buy a set of handles with grub screws on the spindle – are you sure you haven't ? …… I would have thought most have these days (or even pairs of male and female bolts). That would deal with your concern about the handle pulling off. Obviously you still need to secure the rose/plate – as suggested, a piece of wood (several matchsticks if nothing else) glued and hammered in tight.

DT78
    Free Member

Can't say I noticed grub screws – I'll take a look when I take it back off to fill the holes.

If it helps it's a brass external front door handle, just replaced like for like.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If they are good quality brass lever handles, then they'll have grub screws. They are sometimes separate in the pack with the wood screws – be careful, they are very easy to lose ! If it's your entrance door it will be solid – so easy to resolve the problem. I'm surprise that all the screws line up exactly the same as the old handle, but gluing and plugging it will sort it out.

stumpyjon

You can also fill the holes with wooden dowels glued in, matchsticks work pretty well though.

leebaxter
    Free Member

I regularly come across this problem.. easy solution is a small rawl plug, usually yellow in colour.

romster
    Free Member

+1 for matchsticks!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘DIY question – loose screws…’ is closed to new replies.