Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • DIY press fit bb removal tips please
  • swisstony
    Free Member

I know proper tools are available but are they like headsets where an old screwdriver and a big hammer will do?

I need to refit it again though so I can’t risk damaging it.

Thanks

wilburt
    Free Member

Not sure about PF30 but BB30 is hammer out, hammer in, no problem.

gavstorie
    Free Member

big hammer big screwdriver and hope that its your lucky day

swisstony
    Free Member

Thanks, my favourite tools!

gonzy
    Free Member

one of my friends did his using some home made tools
    cut 4 slots into the end of a metal pipe and then pull the 4 tabs out enough so that they make a good contact with the ends of the b/b cup. youll have to insert the pipe into the b/b shell in reverse then hammer it out
    to insert the new cups he used a heavy duty threaded bar and some big steel washers and some wooden blocks and just tightened the nuts until the cups were in place

somouk
    Free Member

one of my friends did his using some home made tools
    cut 4 slots into the end of a metal pipe and then pull the 4 tabs out enough so that they make a good contact with the ends of the b/b cup. youll have to insert the pipe into the b/b shell in reverse then hammer it out

I have a headset removal tool that sounds just like that home made tool. Bought it off CRC.

granny_ring

I was going to ask if a headset cup remover tool would work off push fit bb cups.

andysredmini
    Free Member

If it’s a plastic shimano one then good luck getting it out without breaking it. I was very carefull trying to get mine out when sending the frame off for warranty but the plastic shell broke anyway. I had to refit it because of not getting a replacement in time and figured I would just put the broken one back in temporarily and it’s been fine for about 6 months.

gonzy
    Free Member

I have a headset removal tool that sounds just like that home made tool. Bought it off CRC.

thats exactly what he made…i told him he could get one off CRC for about £20 but he spent all the money buying the bike a few months earlier so decided it would be cheaper to make one

jaymoid

I’ve seen a few headset removal tools that say they would remove a PF bb, and whilst allowing you to knock either the bearings out the cup, or the cups out the frame (depending on which the tool is pressed into), what it won’t do is ensure that the tool is exactly centred when you strike it to tap it out. Which is what the Park Tool one does.

So I guess my tip is exactly that – make sure you hit the tool when it is exactly perpendicular to the frame and BB, otherwise you may risk damaging your frame. I’ve had to really hammer the bollocks out of a couple of PF BBs to get them out.
    No doubt someone will say you’d need super-human force to bend a bb shell, but if park tool have designed a tool that ensures a direct hit, it seems commonsense to follow that approach to prevent damage. However a direct hit is the path of least resistance, so it could be for that reason.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve always just used a hammer & punch. Generally fitting them they slide in enough to gently encourage them with a rubber mallet after & not go too wonky.

Never had an issue, so never felt the need to buy a tool for it really.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘DIY press fit bb removal tips please’ is closed to new replies.