Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Diy light project
  • beefy

Hi, anyone got a reliable method for making a cree led light, I am reasonable with a soldering iron.

Just want something that gives a good flood and maybe the option of a spot.

Ta

beefy

Oh, yeah, something that could run off aa Nimh batteries would be good.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

what are you using as a housing?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Have a look at http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=86

IMO the best controller is the bFlex http://www.taskled.com/

Cutter have kits of stuff http://www.cutter.com.au/products.php?cat=41

Optics are fixed – not like maglites so you ne3ed to chose spot or flood – you can swap 'em about but its not really practical trailside.

However the dealextreme lights are as good (if not better) as DIY and cheaper.

Solo
    Free Member

I've used cut-down Ali torches in the past.

Which particular LED did you have in mind ?. To a certain extent this will dictate the optics you will use and in my experience, it isn't just about the Lumen count.

I made a 6 x XP-E light once, supposedly giving about 1100 lumens. I then put it up against a 3 x XR-E Q5 expected to give 675 lumens.

I had modified an optic to fit the Q5s and it really gave a fantastic output, the light punched well above its weight when compared against the 1100 lumen 6 x XP-E monster I had made.

Also, there are some very cheap lights about now, straight out of the box, that will save you the faff of making your own.

So you're only really gonna make your own light for the hell of it and depending on what facilities you have at your disposal, you may come up with something really nice.

Being armed with a lathe and a mill is a good start, ask Trout.

If you do go the self build route, good luck, and you'll not be short of advise on here and there is loads of info on the CPF, as posted by TJ.

Oh, and if you do self build, see Smudge for your batteries. Great prices, excellent product and fantastic service. His is a battery god.

🙂

Solo.

Innes
    Free Member

I made a DIY bike light a couple of years ago, using three P4 LEDS in copper end feed plumbing fittings, the driver is a buckpuck, and the battery and charger are imported from the USA.

It was a good project to do, and I have a really good light with good battery capacity, but I don't think I would bother now with the DX Extreme lights being so good and cheap now. I spent more on parts for the lamp unit alone than I could buy the whole bike light from DX.

Making your own allows you to fit any optics you want, but I don't think that is a problem with the new DX lights.

Here are some links to look at:

Helpful DIY light site

LED Bike light at about £48

LED torch option

nickc

It can't be DIY light thread season already, surely?

Innes
    Free Member

Do you not think they will die out quite quickly this year? With the price of the new DX bike light, DIY lights are a lot more expensive an option.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Diy light project’ is closed to new replies.