Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • DIY help… how hard to fit a new garage side door?
  • HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Our garage has a small badly built extension on the back, which connects through to the main garage via locked internal door, and it’s in need of an oddly shaped side door (186 * 76cm). The previous door was a mangled mess of a back door that had been cut down too much and screwed together with some L brackets and it just fell to pieces.

The quotes i’ve had for a replacement are 450-600 quid, which is too much given the entire garage is in need of a refurb pretty soon (leaky roof, bad brickwork)

Could i just fit something like this?? https://www.inspirational-doors.co.uk/FLB-Product-Framed-Ledged–Braced-External-Pine-Gate-Or-Shed-Door with some external shed style hinges??

Is this a hopeless idea or relatively straightforward?? Is it loads more difficult than i’m imagining it?

All the proper exterior doors seem to be too expensive or too big with not enough scope for being cut down.

richmars

I bought a UPVC door and frame a year ago from a website. I had to measure the hole in the brickwork, and they supplied the door and frame to fit inside it. The tricky bit was getting the frame square but once I got some tapered spacers it was fairly easy. Once the frame was in fitting the door was simple.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

hmm, where did you get it from?

dovebiker

Quite easy to make a simply doorframe from timber from your DIY store e.g. 50x100mm or modify a door frame kit – main issue is keeping it ‘square’. Try a building reclamation / salvage as many old doors were custom build – all the ones in my house are different sizes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘DIY help… how hard to fit a new garage side door?’ is closed to new replies.