Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • DIY Helmet Light – help?
  • speaker2animals

I got a reasonably cheap "RAC" branded LED torch. I want to affix it to my helmet and was thinking of plumbing fittings. Anyone sourced such items and if so from where? Can find pipe but struggling with the sort of fittings I want. Thinking of a pipe bracket that I can fasten to my helmet with cable ties or preferably velcro straps.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

B&Q – modify with a drill – thats what I did

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Why not just some cable ties and inner tube to pad it out?

You might get more adjustability by using pipe fittings but I doubt you'll get anything like the ball swivel type arrangement of a joystick say.

abductee
    Free Member

Northwind

Red post office elastic bands, and maybe a wee bit of velcro.

stumpyjon

Or you could just buy something ready made like

from somewhere like here.

abductee
    Free Member

Handlebars

Helmet

if you can wait a fortnight for delivery

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

what mtbtomo said, but if you have any old velcro straps from other applications (or even the ubiquitous Animal watch strap) try them in place of zip ties if you want something that looks (marginally) less heath robinson.

Ive adapted an old Niterider helmet mount to hold an ebay-special LED torch, but the main functionality has come from using the long velcro straps rather than the mount itself.

abductee
    Free Member

More Heath Robinson light mounts

speaker2animals

Cheers all – think I will be going with stumpyjon's advise and buy ready made for £7. Will give me a powerful helmet light for a total of £30. Only a back-up for bar lights – mainly to avoid smacking head on low tree limbs and for "round the corner/down the dip" viewing.

Ta

CountZero

My P7 torch goes on my helmet with straps. I bought some foam touring bar grips, cut one in half and pushed it onto the torch. The straps are 1M self-adhesive Velcro from Wilco, cut in half and stuck back-to-back, hook one side, loop the other. Wrap the Velcro around the torch about one and a half times, then push the Velcro through the helmet vents and up over the top of the torch. Do the same at the back of the torch. Very solid mount, and the foam makes the torch more comfortable to use as well. Total cost about £6.

vdubber67
    Free Member

I do roughly the same as Xipe Totec. Old grip round a tesco torch and some velcro. Rock solid, although my Giro Hex is perfect in terms of vent sizing and space

abductee
    Free Member

You don't fancy the one for 2 dollars and 8 cents that I posted below then?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘DIY Helmet Light – help?’ is closed to new replies.