Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • DIY Electrics – How to get it inspected/tested
  • who
    Free Member

Hopefully the collective singletrackworld brain can help me with this one

I'm struggling to find any clarity in the murky world that is diy electrics since the part P regulations came into play.

I'm currently having an extension onto my kitchen which is being done on a building notice which having checked with the building inspector does cover any relevant notification required for electrical work (any work in a kitchen being notifiable) Having recieved some quite extortionate quotes from Electricians I'm intending to do the wiring myself (for the record i'm no professional but am fairly confident with domestic wiring)

Unfourtunately, unlike some Building control offices, South hams (in devon) don't have their own electrical inspectors and have asked that I have by work independently certified by a qualified electrician but have advised that I may struggle to find someone to do this.

Having asked the question of a few electricians it would appear there is a general reluctance to cetrify other peoples work (which I can understand) but there must be people out there willing to do it?

Any advice would be welcome, particualry on what type of company to look for / exactly what 'certificate' i need etc

Cheers

Andy

donks
    Free Member

Mine field…I have been asked to do just this on occasion and the problem is that you (the sparks) as the certifier are in effect stating that you have performed the installation yourself. In order to certify anothers work you would have to have a periodic certificate done which covered other elements of the electrical installation and this can be as expensive in some cases as if the sparks did the work them selves and certfied the installation. If you know someone its not too bad but a cold enquiry to a sparks out of the paper will for a periodic could cost you a couple of hundred quid and I take it you were looking for something a little cheaper? If your based anywhere near MK then give me a shout.

Tiger6791

Why not do all of the work yourself but don't connect anything?

As per above it may be difficult to get it certified.

But you could find a sparky that if you explain your on a tight budget would be very happy for you to do the crappy bits. ie If you know what your doing you could, chase out, do the cable runs etc and then get the sparky to cut and connect. Maybe much cheaper and everybody is happy.

You could even get the cable off the sparky?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

As above. Strictly speaking an electrician cannot do what you are asking.

donks
    Free Member

Why not do all of the work yourself but don't connect anything?

The only snag with this approach is the stated value on the BC submission will need to be for all the work so the sparky could end up potentially paying tax on works he didn't do.

Tiger6791

paying tax on works he didn't do.

Yeah but look at where.

South hams (in devon)

They have different tax laws (ideas) in rural areas, nothing a £50 note in top pocket wouldn't sort.

glenp
    Free Member

Having said the above, what's the difference compared to turning up at a house to do some work on wiring of unknown history and origin? In that instance you need to test and verify everything before you add or amend it. In other words, everything other than a complete blank sheet re-wire involves testing stuff that you didn't put in yourself, and often you have no idea who did.

sam_underhill

I've just done the same in Surrey. They outsource all their electrical checking and testing to JP Electrical (based in portsmouth).

They come round and inspect first fix, then come back and test once it is all complete. They'll take a few plates off and generally sniff about as well. Then they'll give the usually test report to building control so it can all be signed off.

Might be worth giving JP a call, they may have people local to you as well?

who
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments, unfourtunately not the news I wanted to hear.

The work basically involves taking all the existing kitchen sockets of the single ring main which currently serves the hole house, then running a new ring from the consumer unit (brand new, about to be fitted by a qualified sparky) for the kitchen and extension

I've tried broaching the subject of me doing the donkey work with few sparkys but they all seem to turn their nose up at the idea.

I've asked several people with contacts in the trade so hopefully someone will know someone.

£200 for the inspection actually sounds about what i was expecting to pay, will still work out a lot cheaper than paying someone to do the whole job

Cheers

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

The reason they're not keen is because they're running the cables. They don't know if you've done it correctly, ie proper clipping, protection, cable length, connections etc, the list goes on.

I wouldn't do it either, just too risky from a professionals point of view. It's the same with gas pipes to an extent. You can only get an inspection report done, not an installation cert, which is what you'd need for BC

nellyp
    Free Member

The work basically involves taking all the existing kitchen sockets of the single ring main which currently serves the hole house, then running a new ring from the consumer unit (brand new, about to be fitted by a qualified sparky) for the kitchen and extension

If your getting someone in to change the board, just get him to put the new circuit in as well. You'll spend a few more quid, work on £50 a point for sockets, but it'll save you a load of hassle as he'll send the certs to BC on completion.

hoodoo
    Free Member

Hmm, tricky since it is in an extension and obviously a new build. If it was an existing kitchen and you had a load of black and red T&E cable I would say, do the research, do some more research, do the work and nobody would know or care. Just don't drill through the cables when mounting your wall cupboards or place any cables in the wrong zone or sockets within some hard to define distance of the sink. What about equipotential bonding? Have you considered running a separate radial circuit to your fridge/freezer so that it is isolated from any faults that might develop in the household ring circuit thus saving the contents of your freezer?

To do it correctly you need to submit your plans to your local BCO who will then come and inspect it etc, assuming he/she is qualified.

Maybe have a look on this DIY forum for some useful advice

Hope that helps. Good luck.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

When you have run all the cabling and before covering anything over,
    give the Council 24hrs notice and request they carry out an inspection.
    When the installation is complete repeat the process.

When the whole job is complete ask them to do a completion inspection,if everything is ok they cannot with hold the completion certificate,just because they are unable to inspect an electrical installation.

footflaps

Building Control are obliged by law to get the work inspected if you have done it yourself i.e. they have to verify, at their cost, that it meets Part P (which means they have to pay someone to do the inspection).

However, they generally try to get you to pay for it, but if you push them they will concede (or just get a copy of the legislation and show it to them). Working in an Electronics design company, this is a regular topic of conversation as everyone here does their own electrics and none of us are Part P certified.

Sonor
    Free Member

Having recieved some quite extortionate quotes from Electricians I'm intending to do the wiring myself (for the record i'm no professional but am fairly confident with domestic wiring)

Define extortionate. These are qualified people and you don't see people doing a diy job on a gas boiler, they'd get a gas fitter in to fit it.

aracer
    Free Member

These are qualified people and you don't see people doing a diy job on a gas boiler, they'd get a gas fitter in to fit it.

Speaking personally at least, a gas boiler is somewhat different. Rather easier to have a non-obvious leak etc. – whereas with electrics, given I've put together electrical kit as part of my job I feel relatively competent to do household electrics, despite not having the qualification.

Interesting to see the obligation on building control to do the inspection – didn't know about that.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

tis as Footflaps says,I've had 25yrs+ as a building control officer and our Council is the same,if the applicant bears the cost of inspection saves us abt £160

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Footflaps – that's very interesting, thanks.

nellyp
    Free Member

aracer – Member

These are qualified people and you don't see people doing a diy job on a gas boiler, they'd get a gas fitter in to fit it.

Speaking personally at least, a gas boiler is somewhat different. Rather easier to have a non-obvious leak etc. – whereas with electrics, given I've put together electrical kit as part of my job I feel relatively competent to do household electrics, despite not having the qualification.

But will your diy work comply with this?

CONTENTS
    Introduction to BS 7671:2008 4
    Notes on the plan of the 17th edition 10
    Part 1 Scope, object and fundamental principles 11
    Chapter 11 Scope 12
    Chapter 12 Object and effects 14
    Chapter 13 Fundamental principles 14
    Part 2 Definitions 20
    Part 3 Assessment of general characteristics 37
    Chapter 31 Purpose, supplies and structure 38
    Chapter 32 Classification of external influences 39
    Chapter 33 Compatibility 40
    Chapter 34 Maintainability 40
    Chapter 35 Safety services 41
    Chapter 36 Continuity of service 41
    Part 4 Protection for safety 42
    Chapter 41 Protection against electric shock 43
    Chapter 42 Protection against thermal effects 64
    Chapter 43 Protection against overcurrent 70
    Chapter 44 Protection against voltage disturbances and electromagnetic disturbances 78
    Part 5 Selection and erection of equipment 86
    Chapter 51 Common rules 88
    Chapter 52 Selection and erection of wiring systems 96
    Chapter 53 Protection, isolation, switching, control and monitoring 110
    Chapter 54 Earthing arrangements and protective conductors 125
    Chapter 55 Other equipment 136
    Chapter 56 Safety services 151
    Part 6 Inspection and testing 155
    Chapter 61 Initial verification 155
    Chapter 62 Periodic inspection and testing 162
    Chapter 63 Certification and reporting 163
    Part 7 Special installations or locations 164
    Section 700 General 164
    Section 701 Locations containing a bath or shower 165
    Section 702 Swimming pools and other basins 170
    Section 703 Rooms and cabins containing sauna heaters 179
    Section 704 Construction and demolition site installations 181
    Section 705 Agricultural and horticultural premises 183
    Section 706 Conducting locations with restricted movement 188
    Section 708 Electrical installations in caravan / camping parks and similar locations 190
    Section 709 Marinas and similar locations 193
    Section 711 Exhibitions, shows and stands 197
    Section 712 Solar photovoltaic (PV) power supply systems 200
    Section 717 Mobile or transportable units 204
    Section 721 Electrical installations in caravans and motor caravans 209
    Section 740 Temporary electrical installations for structures, amusement devices and
    booths at fairgrounds, amusement parks and circuses 219
    Section 753 Floor and ceiling heating systems 224
    APPENDICES 227
    1 British Standards to which reference is made in the Regulations 228
    2 Statutory regulations and associated memoranda 240
    3 Time/current characteristics of overcurrent protective devices and rcds 243
    4 Current-carrying capacity and voltage drop for cables and flexible cords 252
    5 Classification of external influences 318
    6 Model forms for certification and reporting 331
    7 Harmonized cable core colours 342
    8 Current-carrying capacity and voltage drop for busbar trunking and powertrack systems 345
    9 Definitions – multiple source, d.c. and other systems 346
    10 Protection of conductors in parallel against overcurrent 353
    11 Effect of harmonic currents on balanced three-phase systems 356
    12 Voltage drop in consumers’ installations 358
    13 Methods for measuring the insulation resistance/impedance of floors and
    walls to Earth or to the protective conductor system 359
    14 Measurement of earth fault loop impedance: consideration of the increase of the resistance
    of conductors with increase of temperature 361
    15 Ring and radial final circuit arrangements, Regulation 433.1 362
    Index 364
    Foreword
    This British Standard is published under the direction of the British Electrotechnical Committee (BEC) and
    The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).
    Following a full review, this Standard replaced the 16th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations BS 7671:2001 as
    amended. Copyright is held jointly by The IET and BSI.
    Technical authority for this Standard is vested in the Joint IET/BSI Technical Committee JPEL/64. This Joint
    Technical Committee, which is responsible for the work previously undertaken by the IEE Wiring Regulations
    Committee and the BSI Technical Committee PEL/64, meets the constitutional and operational requirements of
    both parent bodies. JPEL/64 has the responsibility for the content of this British Standard under the joint
    authority of the IET and the BSI Standards Board.
    All references in this text to the Wiring Regulations or the Regulation(s), where not otherwise specifically
    identified, shall be taken to refer to BS 7671:2008 Requirements for Electrical Installations.
    Introduction to BS 7671:2008
    BS 7671:2008 Requirements for Electrical Installations was issued on 1st January 2008 and is intended to come
    into effect on 1st July 2008. Installations designed after 30th June 2008 are to comply with BS 7671:2008.
    The Regulations apply to the design, erection and verification of electrical installations, also additions and
    alterations to existing installations. Existing installations that have been installed in accordance with earlier
    editions of the Regulations may not comply with this edition in every respect. This does not necessarily mean
    that they are unsafe for continued use or require upgrading.
    BS 7671:2008 includes changes necessary to maintain technical alignment with CENELEC harmonization
    documents. A summary of the main changes is given below.
    NOTE 1: This is not an exhaustive list.
    NOTE 2: Particular attention is drawn to Section 701. This section now allows socket-outlets (other than SELV and shaver
    supply units to BS EN 61558-2-5) to be installed in locations containing a bath or shower 3m horizontally beyond
    the boundary of zone 1.
    Regulation 131.6 adds requirements to protect against voltage disturbances and implement measures
    against electromagnetic influences. In doing so, the design shall take into consideration the anticipated
    electromagnetic emissions, generated by the installation or the installed equipment, which shall be suitable for
    the current-using equipment used with, or connected to, the installation.
    Regulation 132.13 requires that documentation for the electrical installation, including that required by
    Chapter 51, Part 6 and Part 7, is provided for every electrical installation.
    Chapter 35 Safety services, recognises the need for safety services as they are frequently regulated by
    statutory authorities whose requirements have to be observed, e.g. emergency escape lighting, fire alarm
    systems, installations for fire pumps, fire rescue service lifts, smoke and heat extraction equipment.
    Chapter 36 Continuity of service, requires that an assessment be made for each circuit of any need for
    continuity of service considered necessary during the intended life of the installation.
    Chapter 41 Protection against electric shock, now refers to basic protection, which is protection under normal
    conditions (previously referred to as protection against direct contact), and fault protection, which is protection
    under fault conditions (previously referred to as protection against indirect contact). Chapter 41 now includes
    those requirements previously given in Section 471 of BS 7671:2001.
    Chapter 41 now requires that for the protective measure of automatic disconnection of supply for an a.c.
    system, additional protection by means of an RCD with a rated residual operating current (I?n) not exceeding
    30 mA and an operating time not exceeding 40 ms at a residual current of 5 I?n be provided for socket-outlets
    with a rated current not exceeding 20 A that are for use by ordinary persons and are intended for general use,
    and for mobile equipment with a current rating not exceeding 32 A for use outdoors. This additional
    protection is now to be provided in the event of failure of the provision for basic protection and/or the
    provision for fault protection or carelessness by users of the installation. Note that certain exceptions are
    permitted – refer to Regulation 411.3.3.
    Chapter 41 includes Tables Table 41.2, Table 41.3 and Table 41.4 for earth fault loop impedances (replacing Tables Table 41B1, Table 41B2
    and Table 41D). These new tables are based on a nominal voltage of 230 V (not 240 V), hence the values are
    slightly reduced. It has been clarified that where an RCBO is referred to in these Tables, the overcurrent
    characteristic of the device is being considered.
    Chapter 41 includes a new Table 41.5 giving maximum values of earth fault loop impedance for RCDs to
    BS EN 61008-1 and BS EN 61009-1.
    FELV is recognised as a protective measure and the new requirements are detailed in Regulation 411.7.
    Chapter 41 includes the UK reduced low voltage system. Requirements are given in Regulation 411.8.
    Chapter 42 Protection against thermal effects, includes requirements in Section 422 Precautions where particular
    risks of fire exist (These requirements were previously stated in Section 482 of BS 7671:2001).
    Chapter 43 Protection against overcurrent, includes those requirements previously given in Section 473 of BS
    7671:2001. Information on the overcurrent protection of conductors in parallel is given in Appendix 10.
    Chapter 44 Protection against voltage disturbances, includes a new Section 442, Protection of low voltage
    installations against temporary overvoltages due to earth faults in the high voltage system and due to faults in the
    low voltage system. This new section provides for the safety of the low voltage system under fault conditions
    including faults in the high voltage system, loss of the supply neutral in the low voltage system and short-circuit
    between a line conductor and neutral in the low voltage installation.
    Section 443 Protection against overvoltages of atmospheric origin or due to switching, retains the existing text
    from BS 7671 and adds regulations enabling designers to use a risk assessment approach when designing
    installations which may be susceptible to overvoltages of atmospheric origin.
    Chapter 52 Selection and erection of wiring systems, now includes busbar trunking systems and powertrack
    systems.
    It is now required to protect cables concealed in a wall or partition (at a depth of less than 50 mm) by a 30 mA
    RCD where the installation is not intended to be under the supervision of a skilled or instructed person, if the
    normal methods of protection including use of cables with an earthed metallic covering, mechanical protection
    (including use of cables with an earthed metallic covering, or mechanical protection) cannot be employed. This
    applies to a cable in a partition where the construction includes metallic parts other than fixings irrespective of
    the depth of the cable.
    Table 52.2 Cable surrounded by thermal insulation, gives slightly reduced derating factors, to take account of the
    availability of material with improved thermal insulation.
    Chapter 53 Protection, isolation, switching, control and monitoring. Simplification means that requirements
    previously in Chapter 46, Sections 476 and 537 of BS 7671:2001 are now in this single chapter. Chapter 53 also
    includes a new Section 532 Devices for protection against the risk of fire, and a new Section 538 Monitoring
    devices.
    Chapter 54 Earthing arrangements and protective conductors. The requirement that a metallic pipe of a water
    utility supply shall not be used as an earth electrode is retained in Regulation 542.2.4 which also states that other
    metallic water supply pipework shall not be used as an earth electrode unless precautions are taken against its
    removal and it has been considered for such a use. An example of other metallic water supply pipework could be
    a privately owned water supply network.
    A note to Regulation 543.4.1 states that in Great Britain, regulation 8(4) of the Electricity Safety, Quality and
    Continuity Regulations 2002 prohibits the use of PEN conductors in consumers' installations. Regulation
    543.7 has earthing requirements for the installation of equipment having high protective conductor currents,
    previously in Section 607 of BS 7671:2001.
    Chapter 55 Other equipment, includes new additional requirements in Regulation 551.7 to ensure the safe
    connection of low voltage generating sets including small-scale embedded generators (SSEGs).
    Section 559 Luminaires and lighting installations, is a new series of Regulations giving requirements for fixed
    lighting installations, outdoor lighting installations, extra-low voltage lighting installations, lighting for display
    stands and highway power supplies and street furniture (previously in Section 611 of BS 7671:2001).
    Chapter 56 Safety services, has been expanded in line with IEC standardization.
    Part 6 Inspection and testing, was Part 7 of BS 7671:2001. Changes have been made to the requirements
    for insulation resistance; when testing SELV and PELV circuits at 250 V, the minimum insulation resistance is
    raised to 0.5 M?; for systems up to and including 500 V, including FELV, the minimum insulation resistance is
    raised to 1.0 M?.
    Part 7 Special installations or locations, was Part 6 of BS 7671:2001. The structure of Part 7 includes the
    following changes.
    Section 607 in BS 7671:2001 relating to high protective conductor currents has been incorporated into Chapter 54.
    Section 608 in BS 7671:2001 relating to caravans, motor caravans and caravan parks has been incorporated into
    Section 708: Electrical installations in caravan/camping parks and similar locations and Section 721: Electrical
    installations in caravans and motor caravans.
    Section 611 in BS 7671:2001 relating to highway power supplies is now incorporated into Section 559.
    The following major changes are incorporated in Part 7:
    Section 701 Locations containing a bath tub or shower basin.
    Zone 3 is no longer defined.
    Each circuit in the special location must have 30 mA RCD protection.
    Supplementary bonding is no longer required providing the installation has main bonding in accordance with
    Chapter 41.
    This section now allows socket-outlets (other than SELV and shaver supply units to BS EN 61558-2-5) to be
    installed in locations containing a bath or shower 3m horizontally beyond the boundary of zone 1.
    Section 702 Swimming pools and other basins. This special location now includes basins of fountains. Zones
    A, B and C in BS 7671:2001 are replaced by zones 0, 1 and 2.
    Section 703 Rooms and cabins containing sauna heaters. Zones A, B, C and D in BS 7671:2001 are replaced
    by zones 1, 2 and 3 (with changed dimensions).
    Section 704 Construction and demolition site installations. The reduced disconnection times (0.2 s) and the 25 V
    equation no longer appear.
    Section 705 Agricultural and horticultural premises. The reduced disconnection times (0.2 s) and the 25 V equation
    no longer appear. Additional requirements applicable to life support systems are included.
    Section 706 Conducting locations with restricted movement, was Section 606 in BS 7671:2001.
    Section 708 Electrical installations in caravan/camping parks and similar locations, now includes the requirement
    that each socket-outlet must be provided individually with overcurrent and RCD protection.
    The following new sections are now included in Part 7:
    Section 709 Marinas and similar locations
    Section 711 Exhibitions, shows and stands
    Section 712 Solar photovoltaic (pv) power supply systems
    Section 717 Mobile or transportable units
    Section 721 Electrical installations in caravans and motor caravans – previously in Section 608 of BS 7671:2001
    Section 740 Temporary electrical installations for structures, amusement devices and booths at fairgrounds,
    amusement parks and circuses
    Section 753 Floor and ceiling heating systems.
    Appropriate changes have been made to Appendices 1 to 7,
    in particular the methods and tables used in Appendix 4.
    The following new appendices are now included:
    Appendix 8 Current-carrying capacity and voltage drop for busbar trunking and powertrack systems
    Appendix 9 Definitions – multiple source, d.c. and other systems
    Appendix 10 Protection of conductors in parallel against overcurrent
    Appendix 11 Effect of harmonic currents on balanced three-phase systems
    Appendix 12 Voltage drop in consumers’ installations
    Appendix 13 Methods for measuring the insulation resistance/impedance of floors and walls to Earth
    or to the protective conductor system
    Appendix 14 Measurement of earth fault loop impedance:
    consideration of the increase of the resistance of conductors with increase of temperature
    Appendix 15 Ring and radial final circuit arrangements, Regulation 433.1

😉

Earl_Grey

I did this, and although it probably worked out less expensive than a complete rewire it still cost me 500 for the test and then another 500 for another test after it failed the first one because of some minor issues over where wires ran into the consumer unit 😳 . There are electricians that specialise in testing installations – ours came from a large local firm and that was pretty much his entire job.

Even if you only add a single new circuit the electrician will want to test every circuit.

Flaperon

Or you could do what nearly every other person does in your situation and not tell anybody. Besides, it's likely to be a lot safer if wired properly with RCDs than it would have been before, without.

andyplasterer
    Free Member

get a sparky to sort it ive just add the problem my self is took me 8 month to sort for miner works in a kitchen you would only be looking at two days at most thats inc 1st and 2nd fix try and get a sparky that charges day £150 per day tops and any work done but a sparky must come with cert hope this helps

Sonor
    Free Member

Gas, Electricity = equally dangerous. Little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

saladdodger
    Free Member

As soner said

Ok there is a few hundred quid involved but it will make life a whole lot easier

BTW bet you do not service your own car and you get a garage to do it for you and just cough knowing the work is done and you will be safe

Please do not fug about I have had to test a house where a 9 month old baby was killed by dodgy electrics

FOR WHY BECAUSE IT WAS A CHEAP OPTION TO DIY

ELECTRICITY KILLS

Yes I do get a bit passionate at times

andyplasterer
    Free Member

well said fella the end lol 🙄

aracer
    Free Member

The relevant bits, yes. I don't suppose I have to comply with regs on Construction and demolition site installations, Marinas and similar locations, Solar photovoltaic (pv) power supply systems or any of the other irrelevant stuff you've included in there to make it look more impressive and complex than it actually is. You see it is possible to do a job properly and look up the relevant regs without actually being a qualified sparky – most home electric stuff really isn't that complicated. Given I'd get anything I wasn't allowed to do inspected, then why on earth would I consider not following the regs?

Maybe – one is far easier to get wrong without it being obviously so – or are you suggesting that because I am competent to do home electrics that I should also install my own boiler? Cheers, that will save me a few quid when that needs doing. As to a little knowledge, I have rather more knowledge than you seem to think – certainly enough to know what I don't know (and my employers trust me to know what I'm doing with live electricity at rather higher voltages than in domestic settings).

BTW bet you do not service your own car and you get a garage to do it for you and just cough knowing the work is done and you will be safe

Only because
    a) I can't be bothered
    b) I don't have the time
    c) I don't have the specialist kit you need nowadays.
    Certainly when I was poor I used to do all my own work that I had the tools for.

Given you can kill yourself riding a bike, next thing you'll be telling me I shouldn't be doing any of my own bike maintenance either 🙄

nellyp
    Free Member

aracer – Member

"or any of the other irrelevant stuff you've included in there to make it look more impressive and complex than it actually is"

I'm not trying to make it look more complex than it is, i'm just stating that there are regs to ensure safe design and installation and asking whether you were aware of these which you are.

My point was that while you've got the spark there changing the board, get him to do the other work saving yourself a lot of hassle with building control and at not a lot of extra cost.

-m-
    Free Member

Interestingly, 'competence' in a gas sense is open to interpretation. Although a tradesman needs to be certified competent, a DIY-er doesn't necessarily need to be – but you could leave yourself open to question if something goes wrong. This is broadly equivalent to Part P, although ironically is less well defined (given the statements in Part P about replacing sockets / light fittings / cables to existing fittings).

donks
    Free Member

Building Control are obliged by law to get the work inspected if you have done it yourself i.e. they have to verify, at their cost, that it meets Part P (which means they have to pay someone to do the inspection).

However, they generally try to get you to pay for it, but if you push them they will concede (or just get a copy of the legislation and show it to them). Working in an Electronics design company, this is a regular topic of conversation as everyone here does their own electrics and none of us are Part P certified.

Whoa there fella, is this true?? you mean to tell me that the main reason I splash out on a bloody Napit registration plus insurance etc is to sign off electrical works i do and all this time the local authority are obliged to cover the cost of an inspection. They obviously pass their costs on to the end user but it is not a mandatory requirement for the user to pay this cost….crickey this is news to me. How much leverage does one need to apply to them here though?? Is there anything you can quote to make them back down?

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I had this discussion with my BC officer recently.

Yes, local Council asre obliged under Government rules to do the electrical inspections after your own DIY work (provided you have applied for BC and paid the standard fees), and the cost is covered by your standard BC fees you have already paid up front. Downside is that they then own all the information. For example if you are doing an extension, you will get a valid Completion Certificate, but you will not get anything to say your electrics has been signed off.
    Also if the inspector does find any faults, they are obliged merely to tell you there is a fault, and not tell you what it is or where it is. Perhaps the latter depends on how pally the inspector is, but my BC put it that way to me.

I find it quite irritating that to comply with this, I spent many hours poring over IEE wiring regs. In the end I didn't have the time, and got the sparky's in. They were pretty good, but needed to be told (by me) in a few areas what the regs were, and also took some technical shortcuts which I (as householder/DIY'er) could have got hauled up on had I done the same myself. But at least now I don't have to get it inspected. I'm happy and so will be BC.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘DIY Electrics – How to get it inspected/tested’ is closed to new replies.