Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • DIY disaster, have I hurt my brand new Nicolai frame!?
  • captaindanger

What an idiot.

Homemade headset press + nicolai argon FR + thinking it would be easy to press a headset in = trouble.

I’ve managed to get the headset cups half in but completely wonky, now I can’t get them in or out. Lesson learnt, I hope the local bike shop can save me!

jordie
    Free Member

why didn`t you do one at a time? Try a practise on a POS frame first then move on to the good frames

tragically1969
    Free Member

Well done, spunk 1k or more on a frame, too tight to spend 40 quid on a headset press !

nickegg
    Free Member

God they’re going to laugh at you when you walk out the door.

Sorry.

ChrisA
    Free Member

surely you must have noticed they weren’t going in straight??

Can you knock the cups out from the other direction? Don’t just wallop it, but gentle and try again one at a time making sure they are going in square.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Did you buy said frame from the aforementioned local bike shop? If not, Nickegg is spot on the money above!

Even if you did, I suspect Nick’s got it right anyway! 😉

captaindanger

erm, yeah, thanks for the encouragement. A headset press is going to be bought. Don’t care how much they laugh as long as they fix it!

captaindanger

don’t see why they wouldn’t laugh when I walk in the door either

TheSanityAssassin

This is what you need.

Unfortunately, it’s out of stock. Prepare to be laughed at.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Take it to a shop and get it done proper.

Should be fine.

Good Luck!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

stop. Have a cup of tea. have a ponder. Put the hammer away.

Hot water on the frame will expand it knock the cup straight and carry on – or knock it right out from the inside and start again

Worst comes to teh worst and you have damaged the frame the headset can be fitted with locktite bearing fit or you can use a deep insertion headset. However I bet its fine.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

For removal…

tails
    Free Member

It’s fairly normal for the cups to go in a bit wonky before straightening up. I very much doubt you have damaged the frame, but buy the right tools, just makes everything easier.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Should be ok,get them knocked out properly and refit,it will be fine

captaindanger

wahoo! I’ve got them out!

Now, can anyone recommend me a headset press that isn’t park tool expensive?

Kbrembo – I like it.

djglover
    Free Member

YOu won’t have done much if any damage, I’ve had them in right wonky in loads of frames. Just smashed them out with some old handlebars

captaindanger

panic over chaps, everything will be o.k.

captaindanger

TJ – I did think about that, I might try freezing the cups next time before starting

seanodav
    Free Member

If its only slightly wonky and not far in, loosen homemade press and move threaded bar across to the lowest point of headset (bit that isnt in as far)
    Tighten press until that point is in as far as the restthen undo again and centre press back up.
    Repeat till tight and straight.
    if its quite far in it will need knocked out with above pictured copper pipe.

SOAP
    Free Member

estwing 24oz 😉 oh and some wood

tomlevell

If they were really tight it might be your headtube needs reaming.

Worth a trip to the bike shop for a check if you think they were a bit too tight.

donsimon
    Free Member

You should be able to tap them out and have another go.
    You have got the correct headset for the frame, haven’t you? If it’s giving so much trouble it sounds like it might be the incorrect headset.

seanodav
    Free Member

Dont need no expensive tools, do one at a time, a mm at a time, straightening as you go. Once its in so far it will go in straight no problem.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Dont need no expensive tools.

Quite true, but the correct ones are a good start, and at £34 it’s hardly expensive ?

oldgit
    Free Member

I was going to say I’ve always tapped mine in with a rubber hammer, then the stem cap/star nut does the rest.

brant
    Free Member

TJ – I did think about that, I might try freezing the cups next time before starting

Freezing isn’t a completely stupid idea, but bearing in mind you’re trying to get things a “distance” away from “room temperature”, it’s easier to get a temperature differential with boiling water (100C) than a freezer (-18C).

luked2
    Free Member

A story with a happy ending 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

Put some lube on them when you go for attempt No.2 & do them one at a time

ando227
    Free Member

Lumps of wood, a hammer warmer head tube than headset and some patience never failed me.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i’ve got the proper tool and i don’t recall the headset cups ever going in wonky and then straightening up! They just went in straight to start with.

Kahurangi

I have used the cyclus one and it’s tip top.

Buy one and loan it out to your mates. It will get you lots of pints!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

brant / captain – I do both – cups in the freezer and a cloth round the frame soaked in boiling water. It really helps – same with all bearings

tommytowtruck

That cyclus one on Wiggle that tragically1969 linked to is excellent and will last a lifetime. Money well spent I reckon.

allmountain76
    Free Member

as laready said, freezer overnight. Never needed more than a tap with a nylon mallet to get them in straight.

Gotama
    Free Member

Is it a tapered headtube? I was in Head for the Hills a while ago and Rog had someone’s nicolai frame off here (black one with green bits;lovely btw). He said that the nicolai tapered headtube was a bit of a nightmare. Can’t remember his rationale but i’m sure it was something to do with the way they machine it. Anyway, it may be worth getting someone that has the proper kit and knows the frames to do it.

easygirl

cyclus headpress is a quality tool, presses headset cups in with ease

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

brant / captain – I do both – cups in the freezer and a cloth round the frame soaked in boiling water. It really helps – same with all bearings

Or just a bigger hammer. Never fails. 🙂

poppa
    Free Member

FWIW, using the ill-advised hammer method the cups need to go in a fair distance before they stay straight.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘DIY disaster, have I hurt my brand new Nicolai frame!?’ is closed to new replies.