Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • DIY content – how much of a ballache is it to…
  • molgrips
    Free Member

.. paint two lots of bannisters and stair woodwork?

What about the architraves too? My wife’s thinking it will be a nightmare to get the brushwork looking good.

Stoner
    Free Member

pain in the arse.

No reason you cant make it look good, but it will take forever.

Gloss is banned in the Stoner household, its all bare wood/waxed/oiled.

garage-dweller

Not much if you know how to prepare it and paint with good liquid paint (not that non drip shit). Hint you need to have bought good quality brushes. You also need to not cut corners. Prepare, undercoat and gloss.

If the above do not apply then a lot more hassle.

molgrips
    Free Member

The staircase is pine, so that shit is getting glossed into oblivion. I hate pine.

Actually I am thinking matt would be nice.

garage-dweller

Matt who? Is he a decorator?

Edit: bare pine – knotting compound and primer too

I usually thin my first coat of undercoat/ primer on bare Wood by about 10% unless tin says not to. It goes back to my dinghy racing days where you wanted it to really get into the surface of the wood and make a smooth base. Takes a touch longer to dry but I still think it helps.

Last decorator we had in used am acrylic primer under gloss which he said was easier to work with but bit tried it myself.

molgrips
    Free Member

That bloke who played Dr Who. He’s so dreamy.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Satinwood?

northernmatt

I am nice – sometimes. All the other times I’m a bit of a ****

molgrips
    Free Member

The staircase was painted by the builders using some thinned gloss I think. The knots have all come through, but I think I could probably still rub it down and paint over.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Those knots will always come back unless you use a knotting compound at the bare wood stage. 🙄

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yup go crazy with the knotting compound before you even think about painting.

avdave2

Paint, leave 100 years or so, strip paint, pine will look good

neilwheel
    Free Member

I would recommend Zinsser, for the base coat. Either the blue or the yellow can (water or oil based). It’s white, or you can tint it, if you are finishing with a light colour it will take a top coat, if going darker you’ll need an undercoat.

It seems a bit pricey to start with but blocks stains and knots, sticks to any surface, high build, easy to work and dries fast.

project
    Free Member

Elderley customer i had, painting stairs himself, went to get up , had a dizzy turn, and kicked 5 lt tin of white dulux gloss down stairs,carpets and walls covered badly.

His insurance paid for massive cleanup, new carpets etc.

Get a proffesional to do the hjob its a nightmare.

bigblackshed

avdave2 – Member
    Paint, leave 100 years or so, strip paint, pine will look good

Was a ballache to strip, messy as hell. Do it once. 😉

CheesybeanZ

If I was doing it myself I’d be taking the carpet up , but I’m a ham fisted clumsy bugger .

duncancallum

Satin is shite. It will look tired so quickly as it holds the grease of your hands. Oil based gloss all the way.

Although I wanted to spray all mine with 2pk car paint. But I couldn’t convince the missus

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘DIY content – how much of a ballache is it to…’ is closed to new replies.