Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • DIY, certain death power tool question
  • chubstr
    Free Member

I need to cut some brick/concrete and I’ve been looking at the tool hire places for a cutting saw. Most are petrol but there are a few who also offer electric versions.

Now there obviously the bragging rights of petrol but I only need to do 2 four foot cuts and a few nips and tucks……will the electric do the job?

I have no experience with petrol tools

Stoner
    Free Member

how thick?

my 4.5″ makita grinder with a good diamond blade just about goes through 2″ paving slabs with some double sided cutting. Cutting bricks is doable but more of a hassle.

Ive also got one of these which is a lot more fun, but makes a hell of a mess 🙂 it only comes out for big jobs.

If you’re doing 4ft long cuts in concrete, and they need to be dead straight the larger blade on the petrol saw will make it a lot easier.

Are you cutting “through” concrete or just making channel walls?

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I bought a titan 9 inch angle grinder from screwfix and diamond blade for the same task. Cost just over £80 for the lot and worked a treat.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Screwfix have a Hitachi 9″ and 4.5″ grinder combi-set on offer at the moment for about £80. Some cheapo diamond discs off ebay ought to do the trick – my little 4.5″ can do 2″ slabs, although the small discs size means the line is a bit wobbly. The 9″ will go through it easily and be straighter.

Rubber_Buccaneer

A 9″ disc still won’t cut all the way through a standard brick or block if that is what you want to do. I’d choose based on the depth of cut I needed then price. Electric should be up to the job (assuming near to a power supply and watch out for having to hire a 120v transformer) unless you are using it in a very cack handed way and keep jamming the disc

wrightyson
    Free Member

Electric cutters suck balls and imho are dangerouser.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘DIY, certain death power tool question’ is closed to new replies.