Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • DIY bike washer?
  • V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Following on from this thread, has anyone made their own portable bike washer?

I would like to give it a try, it can't be that hard right? 😉

pump £4
    linky

water carrier £8
    linky

What else do i need?

sslowpace
    Free Member

A big tub of elbow grease.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

hmmm, might take a bit longer to find a pressure switch….

EDIT: found one, but it would push the cost way too high
    Pressure sensor £20
    Ebay linky

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Nobody playing? ok i'll stop. Seems the caravanning market already has everything you need in kit form, but surprise, surprise, everything you need works out about the same price as a Dirtworker!

swampi
    Free Member

i just make do with a £15 hand pump jobby that you get from garden centres, enough power to blast most crap off without damaging stuff, plus i can also use it for my vegatables 🙂

nina
    Free Member
    mieszko
    Free Member

I've got the hand pump pressure sprayer bought from a gardening shop on eBay and it works perfectly. 5L of water should be enough to wash a bike and the pressure is high enough to wash mud off but won't damage seals. You can borrow it whenever You want, just drop me a line first to arrange a time (check whether You like it and if You want to get one it's just over £10 from a gardening centre near Edinburgh – I bought mine on eBay and got it the same day!). 🙂

Similar to this one:

mk1fan
    Free Member

I also use the 5L hand pump jobby. I also use it to wash the car which is handy in a hosepipe ban.

T666DOM

Get yourself a refillable water fire extinguisher. I've got an old 9l one, pump it up with a compressor and it easily washes away the worst yorkshire winter mud, only downside is it weighs a fair bit. But cost diddly squat!!!

BlobOnAStick

This is better:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAR-CARAVAN-PORTABLE-12V-ELECTRIC-SHOWER-DOG-WALKING-_W0QQitemZ370153732779QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=076a7dde1270a0aad4930883fff80fc0#ht_537wt_939%5D

(got mine from Maplin for £6)

Change the shower head (I had a spare which I hacked the rose off and replaced with an uncut nozzle off a silicone sealant tube)

And one of these:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARAVAN-CAMPING-JERRY-FRESH-WATER-CONTAINER-CAN-25L_W0QQitemZ170425566860QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories?hash=item27ae27c68c#ht_827wt_939%5D

Enough power to shifter quite a bit of dirt with a fair amount of pressure. Only problem is that it feels like you're painting a wall with a 1" brush.

25 litres cleans 4 bikes easy enough, plus a bit for legs/shoes.

Ben

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Some great suggestions in there, thanks guys!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘DIY bike washer?’ is closed to new replies.