Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • DIY and wood experts…. a little help if you pleasez
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

rightyho, i have an elaborate plan to make a box frame… a BIG box frame using a picture frame from a charity shop as the basis…

my plan is:

buy big frame, attach the box part (after measuring and building it based on the frames dimensions) using hinges and a hook/clasp type situation so that the front of the box frame can be opened and closed.

my issue isn’t building it, its what wood to use to keep it lightweight but strong enough to take the weight of the frame on the front and when its mounted on a wall?

thank you xx

tiggs121
    Free Member

What colour of wood do you want?

If it is to be painted then a manmade board would be fine – blockboard or plywood.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Someone need a wood expert…?

EDIT: Phil, congrats on the recent mr and mrs thing, sounded like a job well done 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I don’t entirely know what you mean to construct (box frame are a type of window to me) but the timber with the best strength to weight ratio is plywood.

philconsequence
    Free Member

ahh sorry, a box picture frame…… for the dimensions i want one i’d have to order a custom built one from online so figured i’d make my own, that way i can customise it 🙂

colours not an issue as will probably keep whatever colour the frame from the charity shop part is then white wash the box at the back.

do B&Q still chop wood up if you buy a big sheet and ask them nicely?

nickjb
    Free Member

For structure plywood all the way. Birch ply if you want a nicer finish. MDF will take paint better but isn’t nearly as strong (but probably strong enough)

Yes they do but but it’s pot luck if they get the right size. The last chap that did mine spent ages scratching his head before telling me he could only do it if I gave him the dimension in mm, I’d given it in metres!! It was still 100mm out. Try and get one of the older, retired types rather than a yoof.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

what tiggs121 said, if you’re not going to see the wood (i.e. it’s painted) then go for a manmade board. Personally I’d go for mdf as it’s easy to work, dimensionally very stable and takes paint well once primed.

Your box frame is basically the same construction as a bathroom/kitchen wall unit, our kitchen wall units are mdf and have held loads of crockery/bowls/pots/pans/etc. I don’t think weight or strength is going to be a problem.

and yes B&Q will still cut sheets to size for you.

philconsequence
    Free Member

excellent 😀

thank you everyone!

AlexSimon

Yes, a few cuts free, then 50p a cut.
    But I find I get better service at timber-specific places.

My local Illingworth Ingham have a fantastic wall saw and cut 6 sheets of birch ply for me into about 200 pieces – all within 0.5mm!
    They didn’t charge, so I tipped £10 – saved me days!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

MDF will split if you try to screw or nail into its thickness. Unless you use really thick stuff and pre-drill. It is very stable though.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Go to a wood yard, not B&Q. My local is super helpful, remembers me when I go back for more stuff and delivers for free. Had a few lengths of timber that were twisted replaced without hassle or complaint by them. If you explain what you are doing they will help you with the best stuff for the job.

tiggs121
    Free Member

A timber merchant will probably be cheaper than B&Q and they may chop the sheet for you.

If the box isn’t very deep then solid timber might be cheapest and best – lots of waste buying large sheet of plywood.

45, 95, 135 are common widths of timber

philconsequence
    Free Member

good point ernie…. 10mm mdf instead of 5mm perhaps…

i know i shouldn’t be worried about the weight, as you say… bathroom units are attached to walls fine, but i’m not exactly a DIY expect so am worried about it falling off and taking big chunks out the wall.

EDIT – more good advice, cheers guys 🙂 will look into local wood yard type places! would save painting the sides and can use something lightweight on the back panel so to speak

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

MDF will split if you try to screw or nail into its thickness.

True, you do need to tailor the construction method to the material. When I made mine up I used minifix fittings, seemed to work ok, units have been up for about 8 years so far.

[edit]

Now I’ve written that I fully expect them to fall apart over the weekend.

grantway
    Free Member

MDF may work out heavy
    Go to a proper timber yard and get them to order a
    sheet of LDF or UDF Board.

IE

LDF, Light Density Fibre board

UDF, Ultra Light Density Fibre Board.

MDF, Medium Density Fibre Board.

skink2020

Can i ask how deep the box has to be?
    I’m a picture framer and have made many many box frames over the years.

restless
    Free Member

i know i shouldn’t be worried about the weight, as you say… bathroom units are attached to walls fine, but i’m not exactly a DIY expect so am worried about it falling off and taking big chunks out the wall.

I drilled a hole for my new bathroom cabinet and it popped straight through into the airing cupboard with a 6inch diametre hole 😕

philconsequence
    Free Member

Hi Skink…. about 120-150mm deep 🙂

despite knowing what MDF stands for i had never even considered there might be different densities available!

Gorehound
    Free Member

Go for hardwood ply over any fibreboard. The best place to buy it from is a panel manufacturer/ board conversion firm such as lawcris,the latham group or north east sheets and panels. They all will cut your panels to the required sizes but will charge you for this service.

HTH.

skink2020

Use two pieces of 6mm ply glue them together BUT offset them by 5-10mm(depending on the rebate of the frame your using) gives you a nice recess for the backing board. Also gives incredible strength.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘DIY and wood experts…. a little help if you pleasez’ is closed to new replies.