• This topic has 11 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ton.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • DIY advice fitting a burglar alarm
  • DT78
    Free Member

Likely I will get a professional in, but like to have an idea of what I’m asking for

Bought a probate, existing system doesn’t look too old, though looks like the guy fitting it no longer works and last paper records of service date are 2002. It has 2 bell boxes and several wired PIR which seem to be working, it has a verison 8 control board

1. No idea of code, so how do I go about getting it reset?
    2. Do you have to have all zones on when armed? With kids I can’t have the landing one on at night.
    3. If I wanted to add cctv and wireless sensors in outbuildings is it simple?
    4. I’d really like a system that I can look at on my mobile and disarm remotely

Am I basically talking about replacing the lot, rather than add to the existing?

Any idea of ballpark figures before I ask for estimates?

Cheers

jca

No idea of code

Are you sure it’s not stolen?

ton

a cctv system to view on you phone will set you back about £400. this is a 4 camera system.

on a good quality alarm system you can arm whatever zone you want. most alarms have 8 zones.

most codes are pretty generic unless the engineer programmed a specific code.
    try four of a number, like 1111 or 1234.

i can sell you a new alarm and cctv system when your pretty old one fails. 😀

DT78
    Free Member

Is there anyway of finding out the old code? Will removing the control panel set it off? Not keen on desperately plugging in codes with the siren going off!

Do you have a website I can look at ton? Your not down south though are you?

Greybeard
    Free Member

If you can do a web search for the model and get the manual, there will be a way to reset to factory values (“verison 8” doesn’t seem to be a valid model name, Google search only finds this thread). On mine, if I disconnect the mains and open the panel, it goes off, but if the battery is flat, it won’t. But there’s another battery in the external bell, and it goes off if anyone messes with the panel.

If I didn’t know my code, I’d disconnect the mains, get a ladder, put earplugs in (and nobody near it in the house), take the cover off the external bell, disconnect the battery in it, go to the panel, open it and disconnect the battery.

DT78
    Free Member

Apologies spellchecker veritas 8 compact

ton

veritas 8 is a texecom panel. they are in haslingdon.
    phone them and ask to speak to technical. tell them you are phoning from Grax ltd.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Grax ltd.Are you a bond villain ton?

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips, it has 2 bell boxes not sure if one is a dummy. The control panel still seems to be sold so can’t be that old.

By zones I was asking if you could arm some and not others and have different programmes. For instance at home at night alarm on but leave landing unarmed, away on holiday arm everything.

ahsat

@ton we almost certainly will want to buy an alarm system next month for our new place in Leeds. Can you send me a link for your place or can I drop you an email to discuss. Do your place also install them?

Greybeard
    Free Member

By zones I was asking if you could arm some and not others and have different programmes.

I understood that, but since I didn’t know the right model I couldn’t answer it, and I’d already suggested you do a search for the manual, which would tell you…

Anyway, you can download the manual from here

http://www.texe.com/uk/products/series/control-panels/veritas-series/

and it tells you how to set zones, and even how to get a reset code if you set it off without knowing the code.

ton

@ton we almost certainly will want to buy an alarm system next month for our new place in Leeds. Can you send me a link for your place or can I drop you an email to discuss. Do your place also install them?

we sell to the trade, but feel free to drop in or email me.
    we are in Armley.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘DIY advice fitting a burglar alarm’ is closed to new replies.