Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Divorced, what did you do with your pictures?
  • JCornford

Having moved house 4 times since getting divorced a few years back I have had stuff in storage for a few years, going through it today, clearing out the old junk etc and I have come across 8 years worth of photo album. So I was just wondering what did my fellow divorcees do with all of their pics?

Do I remove any evidence of 8 years of my life, or selectively “cleanse” the pictures?

sweepy
    Free Member

I’d use photoshop to superimpose kelly brook over the ex, then put them on the wall.

DrJ

I have all mine in boxes. I don’t really agree with the “cleansing” thing – there were some good times and good memories even though it ended in tears.

crispybacon
    Free Member

all went in the bin just like the marriage, no point in holding on to bad memories – it’s how I moved on afterwards.

DrJ

I’d use photoshop to superimpose kelly brook over the ex, then put them on the wall.

I have a photo of a time when the ex- met the current-. I like to look at it to remind myslef what a good decision I made :-))

IHN

Interesting question. I’m in a similar position.

Do I remove any evidence of 8 years of my life

I think that’s the key, it all still happened. Unless the memories are too painful, why deny them?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I have thousands of photos of wife and kids – and many happy times – I can’t think why I’d want to get rid of them because we fell out!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Put them on all on a huge bonfire with most of her clothes and other possessions (although not her as well, unfortunately).

DrJ

(Anyone on STW not divorced?? )

william
    Free Member

Me, though I’ve never married.

IHN

Anyone on STW not divorced??

Well, technically, me. But only ‘cos we’re waiting for the Decree Absolute.

JCornford

I was also thinking what it must be like for the current lady if she flicked through my photo albums and saw the ex. If they were rather insignficant events then they would go and some would, but there were some land mark holidays with some great memories that weren’t neccesarily linked to her, she was just there, like seeing family, abroad, going to Oz etc.

DezB
    Free Member

(Anyone on STW not divorced?? )

I have pics of an ex-girlfriend, if the wife found them I would be!! 😛

willard

I ended up just throwing them all out. There was nothing that I really wanted to keep and I felt better after doing it. I even threw the negatives out.

Torminalis
    Free Member

not a divorce but once got a text from the ex saying ‘Shame our love didn’t burn as brightly as your stuff’ along with a photo of our shared possesions on a bonfire.

That was a hoot.

I tend to get rid of pics of ex’s as they are like kryptonite to new crumpet.

Sandwich

Married 25 years this year, together for 28.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I was also thinking what it must be like for the current lady if she flicked through my photo albums and saw the ex.

so what? You cannot undo the past!

Torminalis
    Free Member

so what? You cannot undo the past!

No, but any new flames will expect you to forget it. One of many areas where male logic is trumped by female emotion.

[EDIT] All in my personal experience of course, certainly wouldn’t wish to offend any ladies reading.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but any new flames will expect you to forget it

I wouldn’t want to forget it or her, despite the heartache. Amusingly, my ex-wife flounced out of the house when we had a fling and she found a photo of a girlfriend I’d had meanwhile…

hels
    Free Member

Thats a bit sad. Did you have kids ? Put them away for them, future family history tv shows etc.

And to stand up for women in general it’s an insecure female who can’t accept that she isn’t the first. The best obviously, but who wants to be the practice bird ?

I think it’s a mark of good character that people can get on with their exes, although there are limits of taste and diplomany with this !

epicyclo

Any kids? Save the photos for them.

shortcut

Think it depends on whether you have kids.

If so definately no harm in keeping the pics for them! Stick them in a box and put them in the attic – the current Mrs can’t be offended and the kids won’t be upset either. Jobs a goodun!

U31
    Free Member

All got whizzed in the bin or deleted unless the kids were on them.
    Only photos of us together before kids are on a mates facebook, unfortunately its a group photo of all the lads doing the easter walk to the Pike after getting home from Back to Basics in ’92. I wouldnt expect him to take the pic down so ive un tagged & binned him off my contacts list…

U31
    Free Member

As for the remarks about upsetting your current wife, she has to understand that your time with all your exes are what have made you the person you are today, surely?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

can you get your virginity restored too ?

DrJ

can you get your virginity restored too ?

Not necessary … you didn’t know my ex 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I was intentionally taking the piss! I wouldn’t want a virgin but a woman who knew what she wanted, but the idea that one might seek to expunge one’s past is similarly unrealistic.

Torminalis
    Free Member

she has to understand

Oh does she. I’ll be sure to let her know that.

Divagirl
    Free Member

Torminalis – Member
    …male logic is trumped by female emotion…

great phrase 🙂

To OP, keep the pics if you have children

JCornford

Nope no kids.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

..male logic is trumped by female emotion…

male logic = oxymoron :o)

U31
    Free Member

but the idea that one might seek to expunge one’s past is similarly unrealistic.

F**cking hell! You should meet my ex!
    The woman the 18 year old me fell for, and spent half my adult life with , in less then a week ceased to exist, to be replaced with what can only be described as an unrecogniseable heartless monster.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Expunge.

I like that word. It has a nice sound. I’m going to try and use it at least once today. 🙂

Elfinsafety= divorced from reality.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Wasnt 18 but same here. Pictures went to the kids rest in the bin. Move on. What makes women change like this?

The woman the 18 year old me fell for, and spent half my adult life with , in less then a week ceased to exist, to be replaced with what can only be described as an unrecogniseable heartless monster.

wheelz
    Free Member

Posted the nude ones on the internet and chucked the rest away…

Cougar

Partners strop because you have photos of your ex? Really?

There’s a difference, I think, between having photos in a box in a cupboard, and having them on the mantelpiece. Building a shrine in the basement is probably a bad idea too.

I’ve got a shedload of pictures of old friends, which invariably will have the odd ex here and there. I don’t see any point in going through and systematically removing any photos of anyone I happened to play Hide The Sausage with twenty years ago; at the time they may have been lovely or evil by degrees, but time moves on and by now they just don’t feature on my radar any more.

That said, I’ve not got eight years of “me and the wife” pictures taking up acres of room, I’m talking fairly small scale. If I had a wardrobe’s worth, I’d probably take ‘getting rid’ a bit more seriously.

flip
    Free Member

I left all mine with the ex, she wanted them, 5yrs worth of world travel photos too.

Can’t say i miss them.

My first wife kept all our photos too.

This is a good thread, not thought much about it before.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

‘Shame our love didn’t burn as brightly as your stuff’

Tourmalis, I’m sorry if that hurt, but it is a brilliant line

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Expunge.

I like that word. It has a nice sound. I’m going to try and use it at least once today

Excuse me while I wander wildly off topic, but my new word is

Occulting

It’s the opposite of flashing. Flashing, mostly on, with bits of off, eg off off off off on off off off off on = flashing
    Occulting mostly on with bits of off, eg on on on on off on on on on off = occulting.
    it occults when it goes dark

I think I need to get out more

Oh, and I just lost all the stuff, I’m good at that sort of thing

yunki
    Free Member

my other half says that all her photos and wedding memorabilia are in her old dears loft… except for the good wedding presents such as chefs knives etc..

one day she will get round to getting rid of them.. probably

EDIT: just found out that her mum has started pimping out loads of the actual wedding accoutrements for other peoples weddings.. birthday parties.. anniversary does etc.. I want a percentage of that action cheeky old duffer..!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Divorced, what did you do with your pictures?’ is closed to new replies.