Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Divorce content – where do I find a solicitor?
  • notmynormalusername
    Free Member

Hi all,

Somewhat depressingly I need to get some legal advice re the divorce I’m currently going through. Does anyone have a solicitor they can recommend in the Woking / Guildford area (who knows about financial settlements)?

Thanks in advance – at the moment i’m stuck with just looking on the law society website as I can’t find anyone I know with a recommendation…

crankboy
    Free Member

http://www.kww.co.uk/family-law.aspx
    Not recommended on personal experience but because my cousin who is bright and hard working is a partner.

Sorry to hear you need one.

Why is divorce so expensive?
    Because it is worth it.

piha
    Free Member

Sorry that you need a solicitor.

Try TWM on Woodbridge Road, Guildford and they will be able to help you out. I haven’t used them but I know a few people that work there and they seem a good crowd. Bonus is the Drummond is next door and they do some great ales!

Best of luck.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I used Sarah Lambert at Bowles and Co in Epsom, the ex-wife used Samantha Jago at RHW in Guildford

If you can agree a settlement without too much involvement with the lawyers you will save a lot of money. These two firms are part of a “mediation” group which try to avoid too much court time etc (we failed in that 🙁 )

Good luck.

jamj1974

Sorry you are in this situation. Take care.

HughStew

Sorry to hear you’re in this situation, it’s not pleasant whatever the reasons.

I can’t help with a recommendation, and you may not be able to do this but we used a mediator and I got legal advice purely on a consultancy basis. I paid for 3 hours of advice in total. They tried to charge me for case reviews etc. but I referred them to my original letter to them that stated I would consult them when only I needed them, they backed down in the end.

Good Luck.

notmynormalusername
    Free Member

Thanks for the kind words guys – hoping we can resolve the financial stuff between ourselves but feel I need some professional advice as the situation is complicated (isn’t it always!).

Any of the lunchtime crew got any suggestions?

br
    Free Member

We both used the same Solicitor having agreed between ourselves a way forward. Very cheap as only needed for the ‘paperwork’.

Must have worked well enough as even +17 years later we still are on (distance) speaking terms and she never got the CSA involved in regards to maintenance of our two sons – plus I never felt I’d been stiff-ed financially.

Nico
    Free Member

I can recommend http://www.kimfinnis.co.uk/

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Not in your area so can’t recommend a suitable solicitor.

The more you can agree yourself the better, obviously. In my case I didn’t need the solicitor too much after the first freebie 1 hour consultation.

Ironically, my best mate got royally screwed over by his ex-wifes solicitor so he recommended them, and he was right! My ex used a ‘family friend’ who diddled her pretty well so she got done over twice, which was a shame. 😆

Don’t know if times have changed but solitor got me an agreement that my ex wouldn’t go after pensions etc. after the divorce, I wasn’t aware things like that could happen, so I suppose that’s where they earn their cash.

And really, don’t get the solicitors involved fighting over that favourite teapot, otherwise it does become a very expensive bit of china. You’ll have to walk away from a couple of things but it’s probably for the best.

Good luck fella. Never a good period in your life. Not much to say apart from the old ‘keep your chin up’ kind of stuff, does get better as time passes and the memories fade a bit.

notmynormalusername
    Free Member

Yeah, I figure the only people who get rich in these things are the solicitors so amicable is the way forward. At the same time I don’t want to get diddled and there are limits to what one can learn from the net!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Divorce content – where do I find a solicitor?’ is closed to new replies.