Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Disuade me from this slighty mad idea…
  • squattingmouse
    Free Member

I have my old sliding drop out inbred and I'm fairly happy with it. It's had the same pair of forks on it for the last 4 years or so and the only things to change in that time are brakes, bars, tyres, pedals and gear ratios as bits wear out and it get lighter/heavier in keeping with it's role compared to my other bike.

However I have recently acquired a pair of trek bruiser forks and have a short stem and some high rise Pro-Tapers in the spares box and keep thinking it could be made into something quite fun by sticking those very heavy and very stiff forks on it along with swapping the tyres for the spare DH tyres in the shed and making something rigid but chuckable. Many people will say my 18 inch gate isn't chuckable but at 6ft2 it's as small as I can go and still ride it uphill(ish – it is a singlespeed).

It currently looks like this just with some old red DX spds on it and a bashguard after a log based interface which resulted in a new chainring –

Oh and this plan can partly be blamed on mamadirt as ages ago I saw this picture of one of her old inbreds and liked it –
    Mama's white bred

Opinions?

_tom_
    Free Member

Worth a go, that one of mamadirts looks great 🙂 I love rigid for jumping and stuff, the immediate response is much nicer than the softer feel you have with suspension. Doesn't allow you to make as many mistakes though!

momo

No harm in trying it out to see if you like it.

mamadirt
    Free Member

I reckon that was the nicest incarnation of the (pre-respray) lil red 'bred . . . and there've been one or two different builds 😉 . Forks were 440mm axle to crown DMRs and iirc Trek bruisers are pretty similar. I did run a pair of bruiser forks on my Scab several years ago – I remember they were quite a bit taller than the original 410mm Kona jump forks.

There you go . . .

Go for it – sounds like a good plan 😀

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Hmmm – some fettling may occur this afternoon now.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Disuade me from this slighty mad idea…’ is closed to new replies.