Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • District 9
  • RealMan
    Free Member

That much huh? I'll have a dig around in my piggy bank then.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

That much huh? I'll have a dig around in my piggy bank then
    You from Yorkshire?

RealMan
    Free Member

How did you guess? 😀

What's your email?

_tom_
    Free Member

I enjoyed it.

Hadge
    Free Member

Cracking film and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

How did you guess?

What's your email?

In profile.

billybob
    Free Member

This is quite good & I think has been picked up Sam Raimi to make a proper film out of

billybob
    Free Member

as does this –

Drac

Cool Billybob but it's surely Independence Panic Day.

RealMan
    Free Member

In profile.

You sure about that? I can't see it.

rOcKeTdOg

fekking prawns, they have no aspirations (this is the only thing i can say in a SA accent)

Hairychested
    Free Member

I'm not sure, it got better towards the end though (but I dislike SF anyway).

Vader
    Free Member

I am frankly amazed how many people thought moon was a good film. I honestly can't remember being so disappointed when leaving the cinema. Very poor.

higgo
    Free Member

District 9: enjoyed it – very good (but not great)

Moon: didn't finish it

Based on reviews and what I like/don't like I thought it was going to be the other way round.

rOcKeTdOg

moon was excellent, if scifi ain't your thing i'm not surprised you couldn't appreciate it

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Liked Moon too. Tho it was fairly obvious…

I tried the previous (Polish?) version of Solaris but just could not get into it. Whereas I immediately got into the George Clooney version – it's a bit faster paced probably. But folks tell me previous version is best – heyho.

Vader
    Free Member

+1 Higgo

thanks rocketdog, i wondered why i didnt rate it. Now I know 🙄

rOcKeTdOg

YW Vader *kisses*

Rubber_Buccaneer

Thought it was a good film, a bit different to the usual. Watched it on my way to Johannesburg, very dissapointed I have yet to see a single fookin prawn!

CountZero

I'm not surprised Vader didn't like Moon, he couldn't blow up planets with it.
    Seriously, with that username, it's fairly obvious that a film that has so little going as Moon has it's not going to hold the attention of someone who appears to prefer action sf. I, on the other hand, really like both sorts, 2001 and Star Wars, quiet, reflective films and films where lots of people blow sh1t the **** up. Kind of fits my musical tastes, The Carpenters and Sisters Of Mercy, Kate Rusby and Soundgarden, Eddi Reader and Jane's Addiction. S'all good.
    Really enjoyed District 9, it'll be interesting to see just what they'll be able to do with the increased budget the success of District 9 will allow. Thoroughly enjoyed Predators too, as an example of lots of stuff having the absolute crap blown out of it, by way of contrast.

Sawyer
    Free Member

Moon was one of my favourite films recently. Certainly best British film in a long time for me.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

In profile.

You sure about that? I can't see it.

Sorry, you can now. (I think)

GW
    Free Member

Loved it too. any of you remember his film from the 80s, Bad Taste? Very low budget but probably one of My favourite films back then.

ex-pat
    Free Member

Fantastic film, will be watching again soon for sure. Thanks for the reminder!

Spongebob
    Free Member

It was on the wrong side of average for me. A fairly interesting plot, but I think it was a the prawns' ridiculous cat food fetish which blew it for me.

billybob
    Free Member

Isn't District 9 an analogy for the days of apartheid in SA?

hels
    Free Member

Yes.

aP
    Free Member

It's not exactly a subtle analogy really is it?
    I am reliably informed that Faceman's saffer accent is not very good.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I thought district 9 was amazing, The only downside was that it showed how awesome Halo would have been if they had completed it 🙁

FuzzyWuzzy

Because they weren't active

Uh they were for the aliens, the only reason hinted at was the aliens on the ground were dumb worker type aliens but it's not exactly convincing :p

MrsToast
    Free Member

It's not exactly a subtle analogy really is it?

Sharlto Copley, the guy who played Wikus in District 9 and Murdock in the A-Team? He is actually South African…

clubber
    Free Member

Brilliant.

My English accent's rubbish too. Must be true – someone told me so…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I'd assumed that most of the weapons were confiscated when the Humans "rescued" the starving prawns from the mothership/hulk.

I'm also assuming that the reason the mothership got stranded was because of insufficient fuel, which is why the red prawn (let's call him "Pilot") spent 20 years accumulating little amounts – is that right?

flamejob
    Free Member

I'm also assuming that the reason the mothership got stranded was because of insufficient fuel, which is why the red prawn (let's call him "Pilot") spent 20 years accumulating little amounts – is that right?

I'd assume so Buzz.

The film also has another layer of brilliantness if you grew up in the region; the characters are great!

Moon – Fantastic. It's one of those films that I couldn't stop thinking about for a week afterwards

U31
    Free Member

Meet the Feebles was much better tho….

superdan

I lived in Joburg for a few years growing up, and this brought back some childhood horrors about the Parktown Prawns that I assume these ones were named after:
    Parktown Prawn
    We used to trap them under big saucepans when they got in the house during storms, and listen to them clinking together as they tried to escape.

Love the movie though.

Dan

SouthAfrica2010
    Free Member

The funniest bit from District 9 has got to be where he comes home and his house is in darkness – he walks in and says to his wife:

“I need to get to the toilet quickly, why are the lights off? Is the power off again? Listen baby I think I might have crapped in my pants” then the lights come on and 20 people shout “surprise!!”

Aside from that, for me as a south african the film is actually very disturbing. There is no doubt at all that the plot is based on how non whites were treated here for many years – there are too many similaraties to list.

And it’s not all from the apartheid past either. Where the film talks about “Muti Killings” – Nigerians eating body-parts from Prawns as a cure for various sicknesses – that happenes even today. Bodies are often found – (usually down in Kwazulu-Natal and usually childrens bodies) with bits missing, where witch doctors have told people with various illnesses that they need to eat body-parts from healthy bodies in order to get better.

Wiki

z1ppy

flamejob – Member

I’m also assuming that the reason the mothership got stranded was because of insufficient fuel, which is why the red prawn (let’s call him “Pilot”) spent 20 years accumulating little amounts – is that right?
    /quote

I’d assume so Buzz.

Nahh that not how I understood it.. the ‘intelligent’ class of prawn have nearly all died during the trip hense all the thick’s one are left with no idea how to control the ship, there that thick they couldn’t even get out of the ship when it arrived on earth (humans broke in). The prawn Christopher Johnson (intelligent) has spent 20 years collect fuel from scrap for the command module, so it can return to the mothership & escape. No one else think this?

hels
    Free Member

Or its the “B ship” as in Hitchhikers Guide ? (see the other thread)

chakaping
    Free Member

I enjoyed it a lot.

Pretty heavy-handed analogy for apartheid yes, but seemed to have a lot more to say than that.

And I wonder what I’d think of the film if I was Nigerian.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘District 9’ is closed to new replies.