Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Dispute with builders
  • willchrist
    Free Member

I employed a builder on day rate basis but due to the lack of progress I eventually finished him. I’ve since completed the work myself and here lays the problem.

Today I contacted the scaffolder requesting that they dismantle and remove the scaffold around my house. His reply was that he would only do it on the request of the builder who he put it up for. I pointed out that I had paid him for the job and the scaffold is on my property, but he still refused. Question: What rights do I have to make him remove the scaffold. Can I get someone else to do it for me?

aracer
    Free Member

Who paid the scaffolder?

chakaping
    Free Member

If he doesn’t want his scaffolding back, does it not become your scaffolding?

Put it on ebay and send him the link.

willchrist
    Free Member

I paid the scaffolder the day it was built

legend
    Free Member

Just put it on the classifieds here, someone’ll come n take it away for you

thegreatape
    Free Member

Charge the scaffolder for storage.

aP
    Free Member

When he next needs it for a job he’ll come round and take it down, currently you’re just acting as cheap storage for him.
    If you paid him, then tell him to come round and remove it, otherwise you’ll get someone else to take it down, and take it away.

Jamie
    Free Member

How odd.

Well, congrats, You now own some scaffolding.

jimbobo
    Free Member

I need some scaffold boards to fix the benches in the park… are you near leeds? I like the idea of putting it on eBay and sending him the link though.. focusses the mind!

chakaping
    Free Member

If you can’t be bothered with the eBay thing, tell him you’ll call the scrappers in if it’s not gone in 24h.

redmex
    Free Member

Most scaffolders i know are a wee bit dodgy to say the least, tatts on the knuckles and always get paid need i say more

mattyfez

Quick Google suggests its not uncommon, they’ll probably just leave it there until they need it for another job.

As above I’d put the pressure on by saying you know some local pikeys cruise the area on the lookout for ‘scrap’ and you can’t be held responsible if it were to mysteriously dissappear.

enfht
    Free Member

Isn’t there an Aesop’s Fable involving a cyclist and a scaffolder?

Spoiler Alert – it doesn’t end well for the cyclist.

From memory the moral of the story was something along the lines of ‘don’t pick fights with scaffolders.. 😮

pk13

When I was on sites it was always the tube chuckers that no one picked a fight with. You could try the charging for storage idea but your poking the hornets nest if they are like the ones I know.

thecaptain
    Free Member

How long did you contract the scaffolding for? When I got some it was paid for 4 weeks. Which was handy as after the builders had gone it gave me time to repoint all the high bits I’d never have reached otherwise (and which had clearly not been touched in the house’s lifetime). Much drier inside as a result!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Tread carefully and lawfully. They can be a firey bunch. How much scaff is there? Could you strip it yourself? I’d be explaining yiur situation to said scaffolder and ask him again.

Jamie
    Free Member

TIL Scaffolders should have their own Marvel comic dedicated to their superhuman feats of strength.

willchrist
    Free Member

Scaffold was on a job and finish basis and I’m aware of pushing too hard in case they somehow damage the house when dismantling.

On the other hand, if nothing happens in the next week then thinking of asking some Polish scaffold contractors in work to dismantle it?

angeldust
    Free Member

Legend has it that scaffolders are the only people Chuck Norris won’t stand up to.

wrightyson
    Free Member

How big are the firm and I’m not talking the size of the ganger, reputable big firm or one man band etc, you’ve clearly fell out with the builder who he no doubt does work regular for, he probably forewarned him and said don’t take it down or words not quite as polite. If someone else strips it they could easily start the well I’m missing 10 21’s, 18 boards, 40 doubles etc etc.
    You don’t want any grief and I can assure you I know how this stuff works.

Giallograle

Scaffolders contract is with the builder, who’s not getting paid. So the scaffolder is not getting paid either.

Are you sure you’ve ended the builder’s contract cos they’re acting like you haven’t.

Suggest you tell the scaffolder in writing that his kit is trespassing on your property; give him seven days to remove it or you will remove it and dispose of it at his expense.

If he were to damage your property, you’d have a claim against him. A record of the present condition will help you.

geoffj

Maybe it’s become unsafe and you are going to have to call the council about it?

https://www.gov.uk/scaffolding-rules

In reality I’d have an open and frank conversation with the scaffolder and if necessary, offer him another few quid to get it away according to your timetable.

mattyfez

Scaffolders contract is with the builder

OP said he paid the scaffolder directly, so the original builder has nothing to do with it.

But I suspect as above, is it likely that he’s a regular contractor/mate of the builder who’s pissed off, so is now making life awkward for you on behalf of his mate?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Be there with Go Pro when its taken down.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Dispute with builders’ is closed to new replies.