• This topic has 23 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by fabs.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Disposing of secondhand/old cars
  • fabs

I have a 1997 Peugeot 106 which has had the head-gasket fail. I have already replaced the car as I couldn’t be bothered to fix it. (The garage quoted £250-300 to fix it)

I guess my options are:
    1) sell it (don’t think there is much value in it, as working models get £200-£400 max, so doubt I would get very much)
    2) scrap it (probably get 60-70 quid)
    3) give it away. Freecycle?

I’d be tempted by (3) if I thought someone would make an effort to fix it. It is probably a days work for someone reasonable with spanners. Is it likely that anyone would take that on? If I put it on Freecycle, are there any scams I ought to be aware of?

It has an MOT until November, and two new tyres. Engine still runs well, despite it now being cooled by a mixture of oil and water.

nbt

Local fire station will love it if you’re giving it away, they normally have to buy cars to practice chopping them up for rescuing people after collisions

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Simple one is call the local scrap yard and see if they will collect it.

butcher

If you put it on Freecycle, it’ll probably be on Gumtree within the hour… Could sell it spares or repair. Probably get £150.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Local college? Our mechanics area has to buy them in for the urchins to gradually ruin.

maccruiskeen

Describe any faults in detail and stick it on ebay – that means you could get any of your 3 options. It might sell for a worthwhile amount, it might sell for its scrap value or you might end up effectively giving it away. Its wins all round.

A really good description is the key – people are more confident about buying a car with a known fault that they know the can fix than they are about buying something that old and apparently working.

nickjb
    Free Member

+1 for eBay spares or repairs. Someone will give you money and come and take it away.

bruneep

No so! It will have to be de-polluted, any traces of fuel, engine oil etc etc removed from the car.

Cars we get have all this done and checked to be free of sharps (needles) local scrappie does all this and delivers and picks up the carnage that is left. He doesn’t like it if you cut the car in half tho.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

You could do this….

[video]http://youtu.be/tP4rA1XPnek[/video]

duncancallum

Diesel?

Do it yourself cost a bout 150quid n keep you out the pub

fourbanger
    Free Member

106’s are great little cars. Don’t scrap it! Try free adds on Pistonheads. Might get more than you think for it. What model?

spence
    Free Member

We crapped a 106 last year through http://www.rewardingrecycling.co.uk/ all done on-line and got £130 for it. Probably could have got a little more selling as it was very clean for its age and had 4 new tyres but an engine management fault. For what we got verses the hassle of selling it was a good compromise.

totalshell

scrap your looking at 130 quid driven to the yard, take the v5 passport and a utilty bill

put it on ebay and you ll draw more than that sell as a whole though.. although if asked only sell parts that wont stop you driving it to the scrap yard leagly

dont give it away unless you can afford to walk down the street, put your hand in your wallet and give the first person you see 130 quid and not even break your stride..

if its taxed and has a whole month or more left you ll get a refund

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

My brother sold his old car to a scrapman via Gumtree for more than they were offering him when he rang them!

Gumtree it, it’s free.

binners

Shove it on eBay. I shoved an old Mazda 323 on when the head gasket went, as spares or repair. Within an hour I had someone get in touch, said I’ll give you 250 quid for it and I’ll come and pick it up now. And so he did.

fabs

fourbanger – it is a basic model (XN independence 1.1)
    spence/totalshell – reward recycling are offering £80

Think I will bung it on Gumtree or Ebay.

leegee

Try steelseal to cure the headgasket, 90% of the time it works and sell it as a runner with an issue.

footflaps

I got £250 for my old Golf as scrap and that included them collecting.

maccruiskeen

Think I will bung it on Gumtree or Ebay.

Ebay – on ebay people bid up, on Gumtree they want to haggle down.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Steelseal.. Mental note never to buy a car from…..

Marko

Try steelseal to cure the headgaske

Pff . . Amateurs. Everybody knows that K-seal is the quick fix of choice these days 🙂

Marko

davewilson634
    Free Member

If your local to surrey my father in law supplies cars to surrey fire services and collects for free, he is also dvla registered to completely legit

maccruiskeen

Pff . . Amateurs. Everybody knows that K-seal is the quick fix of choice these days

K-seal? Whats wrong with just cracking an egg in the coolant reservoir.

fabs

The seal fluids seem a bit like snakeoil. Surely it is just a short term fix. Does anyone have any experience with these products?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Disposing of secondhand/old cars’ is closed to new replies.