Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Dislocated elbow
  • crazybaboon

My bad luck seems to be continuing, after getting knocked off my road bike on sunday, i’ve gone over the bars on the mountain bike on a simple drop off and landed badly and bent my left lower arm completely back the wrong way. When i stood up my arm was just hanging limply and i experienced the worst paid ever!
    20cc of morphine and gas+air only took the slight edge of the pain.
    The elbow was put back in place in hospital(under complete sedation, thank god)
    The elbow has swollen to twice its normal size, and is very painfull.
    I’m back to hospital tomorrow, anybody have experience of dislocated elbows, how long untill back to normal?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Dislocated my left elbow twice (once in MTB race and then about 7 years later in a road race). First time there was a fracture a well, so was in a cast for about a month before staring physio. This took about another 3/4 weeks before it was strong enough to ride on again and about 4 months in total to get the range of motion I have now back (about 95% of what is was before – still can’t fully extend it, but close enough, and it isn’t as strong as it was). Second time wasn’t as bad in terms of recovery as I knew what to expect.

I – quite literally – feel your pain. Tries to stand up the first time I did and also remember looking down and seeing my lower arm just swinging around, btu the fingers still wiggled! 😉 All-but passed out with the pain and they had to put me under to reset it – the wife says I was still grimacing when they popped it back in, even under the general!

Best of luck – it will be (nearly) as good as new. Just give it time.

adstick
    Free Member

Me too. 6 weeks in plaster and a few months to get full mobility. Good luck!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Dislocated elbow’ is closed to new replies.