Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Disks + MTB shifters on a "bull horn" bar for road/commute/cross bike?
  • juan
    Free Member

Anyone done that?

I have an old set of hope XC4 brakes that I am reluctant to sell(they ain’t worth much) and that I can’t really throw away (me being sentimentaly attached to them). So I was thinking of maybe getting a kona steel CX frame with disk mounts and build it as a cross bike/roadbike/commuter. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone has ever used disks + MTB sifters on a bull horn handlebar. I can’t see why it won’t work, but I am open to suggestions.
    And obviously pictures are appreciated.

gaffney
    Free Member

You’ll need to have the brakes and shifters right in the middle of the bar up against the stem. I’ve done that on a single speed bike with bullhorns and bmx type brakes but switched back to drop bars and normal road bike levers because I didn’t like the lack of control with my hands so close to the stem.

XC4s might be a bit overkill for road use though 🙂

jackthedog
    Free Member

Also depends what diameter bars you’re running – my bullhorns are the fatter road type, so MTB controls wouldn’t fit.

wisepranker
    Free Member

I’ve been looking for something similar, I’m wanting to run a set of Salsa Woodchipper bars but can’t with hydraulic discs 🙁
    I don’t much fancy going back to road brakes/shifters and canti’s.

druidh
    Free Member

BB7s?

orena45

+1 gaffney

Aldo, Road/fixie bullhorn bars are too wide a diameter for MTB brake levers and shifters. The one ‘MTB’ diameter bullhorn bar I found was the On One Bingo bar.

However, whilst I could fit a pair of shifter and brake levers on, it was too cramped to use comfortably so I went back to flat bars on my commuter.

I still have the bars, so if you want to try them out you can have them for the cost of postage.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Disks + MTB shifters on a "bull horn" bar for road/commute/cross bike?’ is closed to new replies.