Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Disk brake road mudguards. Any recommendations?
  • tthew

I’m going to treat my new, (to me) bike to some new mudguards, the old ones are all scraped and a bit cracked. Rear disk is outboard of the seat say so it’s in an awkward place.

Anything I should be looking at other than SKS full length? I got these on Mrs Tthew’s Boardman OK, but if there is anything that doesn’t require the stays to be bent and modified?

Has to be proper mudguards, for regular commuting so robust is best.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

SKS, and bend the stay around the brake calliper:

woody2000

I got some SKS Velo 42 guards when I was having problems getting some chromoplastics to fit. Absolute doddle to get on, no bending/cutting etc.

I could get them a bit closer to the back tyre, and I could probably extend the rear a bit so it covers the front mech a bit more, but they keep me dry and clean and that’s the primary reason (for me) of having guards.

Cheap too 🙂

tthew

Spotted those Woody, they look pretty good as quick-fit’s go. Your caliper position is in a much better place than mine, which is more like ir_bandito’s up there. Think I’d still have to wind the left hand stay around the brake. At least there’s only one I suppose!

woody2000

I had the caliper problem at the front, not the back – it sticks out a mile and I’d have needed to do some serious faffing around to get chromo’s to fit round it.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

those Velos look handy, I want some new guards with looser clearance for ice tyres….

jonba
    Free Member

On my bike I use the widget that came with my Pro6 frame.

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/pro6-widget/

I’m sure you could get something cheaply from a DIY shop or drill two holes in a piece of metal and bend it if you can’t find the widget itself.

Has been working well on my pompetamine commuter for 2 years.

tthew

Jonba, that’s an excellent solution. I’m sure I could knock something up like that.

woody2000

ir – they are handy, that black shroud is a slider basically. Loosen the small grub bolt at the end, move the stay as required, tighten it back up again. I’ll be doing the same when my spikers arrive 🙂

RustySpanner

Show us yer bike then!

scotroutes

You should be able to make out my SKS stay routing in this photo

[url=https://flic.kr/p/cXHtKh]Amazon rear[/url] by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

cr500dom
    Free Member

TRP Spyres help massively with fitting guards 8)

richardthird

Another happy Velo 42 owner here. £14 from Halfords with the stays kit, over 40c LandCruisers.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

You could get a reflector bracket and position it on the seatstay above the disc caliper and fit your mudguard to that .

tthew

OK, here it is, with the mudguards fitted, (which cleaned up quite nicely so decided to reuse them)

The rear eyelet was actually in a convenient place, minor bend in one stay was all that was needed.

Front one, not so good, so I made it into a tripod. 😀

kcr
    Free Member

As above, SKS + bend the stays + washers or spacers to push the mounting point out a bit, if necessary.

woody2000

ir_bandito – I tried a 38mm Snow Stud on the front last night & they don’t fit under the guards as fitted to my Charge Plug, but i think that’s a bike problem rather than a guard problem as such. It’s fine right up to the point where the guard comes under the fork crown, then it fouls the tyre sadly. A fork with a longer a-c would be fine I imagine, standard fork is 396mm a-c on the Plug.

The guard does cover the tyre width wise, though only just.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Disk brake road mudguards. Any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.