Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Discs. Which make has biggest pad-disc clearance ?
  • rustler
    Free Member

Shimano Servowaves ?
    Have tried Avids/Hopes but they still run close.
    Surely it cant be rocket science to design one that doesnt run with 0.001 nano-microns of disc-pad clearance. Grrr. 😉

D0NK

I think someone said mtb BB7s with road/long pull levers (or vicky versa cant remember) should have a big clearence but would feel wooden.

Servowaves don’t seem to make much difference IME.

Surely it cant be rocket science to design

You’d have thought so, mud clearence anyone?

Trekster

just replaced my hayes brakes with some Hopes and realised why I don`t like them…the very reason you seem to be looking for, excessive pad clearance.
    If the pads are too far away from the disc you have all that distance/clearance to take up before anything happens. This converts to a long lever pull unless brakes have a bite adjust knob which then defeats the point imo.Got the Hopes cheap, fitted so will have to get used to it 🙄

mk1fan
    Free Member

Avid BB-7s. Set the pads as far from the rotor as you want. Then adjust the lever to get the desired throw.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

+1 BB7s

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

+1 speed-dial levers

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Got the Hopes cheap, fitted so will have to get used to it

Or learn how to set them up properly.

druidh
    Free Member

Why would you want more clearance?

Dougal
    Free Member

More clearance would seem to be good for the puffer.

Only thing I can think of is a closed brake like a Hope C2 or Giant MPH (the older kind). Wind the pads out as much as you want. They also had the thickest pad material of any brake out there.

druidh
    Free Member

Dougal – Member
    More clearance would seem to be good for the puffer.

Why?

trail_rat
    Free Member

mud

shimano dont stand a chance did 4 laps on em and they were **** ! my hopes i moved onto after that still look like new

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

stops annoying rubbing noises on discs that are a teenie weenie bit out of true. Also helpful to eliminating rubbing from the frame/fork flexing.

I’ve got XTs but if another brand offers more clearance i’d go for them.

allyharp

I’ve got Servowave XTs. I don’t think there’s much visible difference but they are definitely at least a little more resistant to disc rub than my old Juicies.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Discs. Which make has biggest pad-disc clearance ?’ is closed to new replies.