Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Discs on 2015 "endurance" road bikes – what are the pro peleton going to use?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

So bikes like the Defy, Domane, Solace etc etc coming with discs for 2015.

Where a whole range is all disc such as the Defy, what are the pro’s going to use when that bike would normally be their favoured bike (perhaps on the cobbles)? I didn’t think discs would be UCI approved till 2016??

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Those bikes but without discs?

MrSmith
    Free Member

The same custom lay-up frames they always use.
    Or if they are using off the peg frames then last years models.
    I would expect to see discs only used by sponsored teams that drop traditional brakes from their road bike line-up.
    I doubt you will see an all disc peleton for a while.

benji
    Free Member

Has the UCI approved discs for road racing, because at last check it wasn’t. It was a while coming for cyclocross.

chakaping
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

Those bikes but without discs?

I’m not familiar with UCI road racing rules, but I bet they probably have one about bikes requiring a means of stopping on demand.

Not feeling the need for discs on a road bike myself, just from a needless complexity POV. But how will they sort out neutral support?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I thought the frame had to be available to the general public, so whilst they get away with custom layups or geometry tweaks, disc mounts are a bit obvious….

So, yes, essentially last year’s models then.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

There have been comments in the same breath as the UCI that discs are coming 2016. So I was just querying what the teams will do in the interim, when their bike supplier has essentially ditched calipers on their endurance model.

Are the general public essentially acting as guinea pigs?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The front is mounted on the fork so no issues swapping to a rim brake fork, as for the rear do all those frames have the mounts removed or have they just added a disc mount.

oldgit
    Free Member

Rumour has it that 2016 will see changes, hence not much change to race models.
    I know the Giant defy and tcx are disc specific….no bridges.
    I was after a 2014/15 Defy SL ISP frame, but not now as I don’t want discs.

crazy-legs

I thought the frame had to be available to the general public, so whilst they get away with custom layups or geometry tweaks, disc mounts are a bit obvious….

No, you just make a rim-braked version for the pros and then have it as a special-order item on your books for “anyone” to buy. Simple easy loophole in much the same way that the Team GB track bikes are available to buy if you have a spare £20,000 knocking around.

The front is mounted on the fork so no issues swapping to a rim brake fork, as for the rear do all those frames have the mounts removed or have they just added a disc mount.

It’s *slightly* more complicated than “just adding a disc mount”. You’ve got the different stresses to consider so the frame needs to be built up differently (oversize tubes, different carbon layup etc) and also the internal cable/hose routing is going to be totally different so that needs consideration. To do it properly (especially if you’re going to go the thru-axle route), it’s a whole new mould and manufacturing process.

MTB evolution went through a slightly different step since, when discs became popular on MTBs, they were almost all aluminium (or Ti or steel) and had external cable routing so much easier to just weld on a disc mount and a supporting strut if necessary and call it disc ready.

brant
    Free Member

Those new Shimano disc mounts are so small as to be able to on the caliper braked frames anonymously hiding.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Discs on 2015 "endurance" road bikes – what are the pro peleton going to use?’ is closed to new replies.