Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Discovering a 'new' radio station (mild rant?)
  • SaxonRider

I have listened faithfully to Radio 4 for years now, and simply can not handle it anymore. The constant repetition of news – most of it Westminster-based – is enough to drive even the most dedicated political animal crazy. ‘The Archers’, meanwhile, is utter tosh. The radio dramas on Sunday evening are, for the most part, depressing. Even shows that could be good, like the ‘Moral Maze’, uses the most ridiculous commentators. I mean, what expertise does Michael Portillo bring to the philosophical round table? And if I hear Matthew Paris’ smug voice again, I will drive my car into a tree.

But I have started tuning into Radio 3 since last week, and man-oh-man, life is better now. I don’t know how I forgot that art is actually much more edifying than talk, talk, talk.

I feel better for that. Thanks for tuning in.

kcal

True. Never got R4 to be honest. R3 on in background in my shed, usually – educates and informs – pleasing music / chat ratio ..

Usually a surprise gem bit of music, if not every day then every week.

ourmaninthenorth

My ideal would be a mix of R3/R4/6 Music/local. With a personally programmed schedule.

Surely the BBC could see a way to creating such a bespoke radio listening experience….

maccruiskeen

Surely the BBC could see a way to creating such a bespoke radio listening experience.

you can do all that by just subscribing to the programmes you like as podcasts – my phone is chocca with R4 programmes, R3 Essays and a bit of Radcliffe and Marconi.

R4 gets frustrating if you listen to it all the time simply because they’ve got so much content. You’d spread the material they broadcast in one day across half a dozen TV channels for a week. But by having it all on one channel it means the stuff you do like is cheek by jowl with the stuff you don’t. It’s too much so I prefer to thin it down and save enough episodes of the stuff I do like that I can listen to just that all day.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdOr5FpLKR8[/video]

Reluctant
    Free Member

if I hear Matthew Paris’ smug voice again, I will drive my car into a tree.

Thanks……….first time I’ve laughed all day 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

you can do all that by just subscribing to the programmes you like as podcasts – my phone is chocca with R4 programmes, R3 Essays and a bit of Radcliffe and Marconi.

I rarely download podcasts these days, which says more about my listening habits than anything else I guess (lots in the car or kitchen, not much at work).

Hmm, if I was clever enough, I’d write some software that would compile podcasts into a personal streaming radio station (although the danger is I’ll get only what I already like, rather than what I’ve yet to discover).

ohnohesback
    Free Member

You’re not the only one… News Briefing sounds more like a Radio Moscow for the coalition; they waste too much time on sound bites that add nothing to the story. And don’t get me started on the constant regurgitaton of the poisonous press… Farming Today is a middle-class Good Life whinge.

I’m forever hacked-off by the overuse of sound effects and backing music on trailers to the point where the message is lost in the aural clutter; and will someone please put You and Yours, as well as In Touch out of their misery? You can toss their corpses in the same skip as Ipm and the unfunny ‘comedies’.

RustySpanner

Radio 4 is still just about the most informative and least annoying station, but you still have to avoid You & Yours and Thought For The Day.
    Can’t listen to Today anymore due to Humphreys and his ego, the drivel spouted by our elected politicians and Justin Webb’s toadying attitude toward anything American.

Radio 3 isn’t as good as it used to be, due to a perceived need to compete with Classic FM, but still excellent nontheless.

Radio 2 has Jeremy Vine, who as far as I can tell just reads the Daily Mail out live on air these days and Simon Mayo, the smuggest man in the world, with the least to be smug about.

Radio 5 has Nicky Campbell, Victoria Derbyshire and Richard Bloody Bacon.
    In a sane world, they’d all be hanging from lamp posts.
    Nicky Campbell in particular is an arrogant, sociopathic bell-end who would benefit greatly from having his face rubbed repeatedly up and down a dry stone wall.

Radio 6 is pleasantly adequate – the minimum I’d expect from a music station.

Radio 4 Extra is excellent – shows a lot of the modern programming up for the sycophantic, dumbed down toss that it really is.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Radio 2 has Jeremy Vine, who as far as I can tell just reads the Daily Mail out live on air these days and Simon Mayo, the smuggest man in the world, with the least to be smug about.
    He actually believes that his opinion counts for something, which is most disturbing.

You forgot the most annoying man to have lived on this earth……Steve Wright.

kcal

Nicky Campbell in particular is an arrogant, sociopathic bell-end who would benefit greatly from having his face rubbed repeatedly up and down a dry stone wall.

An acquaintance, while at university, lamped the fella on more than one occasion.. That may ease your pain, R S..

RustySpanner

Steve Wright’s show sounds exactly the same as it did 20 years ago. 😀

kcal – Member
    An acquaintance, while at university, lamped the fella on more than one occasion.. That may ease your pain, R S..

If you would care to provide me with his address, I’d like to send him a little something as a token of my unending gratitude.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Grrrr! Nicky Canpbell and 5live. Keep the sports coverage and scrap the rest.

Pigface
    Free Member

Now I am angry, who ever punched Nicky Campbell didn’t punch him hard enough or often enough, opportunity wasted.

CountZero

Heh! I used to listen to Campbell on a late-night show, possibly Radio 2, not sure. Anyway, this particular evening Judie Tzuke was on, and I phoned up with a question for her, and Nicky put her on the phone so I could speak to her, which was nice.
    Move on some years, and I met Judie after a gig, and mentioned that occasion; lets just say she was more than alittle uncomplimentary about Mr Campbell…

dabble
    Free Member

You forgot the most annoying man to have lived on this earth……Steve Wright.

Rhymes with “Shite.”

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Mark Kermode.

woody21
    Free Member

Steve Wright is very annoying

user-removed
    Free Member

If I’m in the living room it’s R4 Extra or 6 Music. If I’m working on the computer it’s Listen again, R4 dramas. In the car it’s still R4 as everything else makes me want to drive into the fore-mentioned tree.

1981miked
    Free Member

More annoying than Mr Chris Hyperactive Evans.. And his team of silly named bafoons?

Jeremy Vine.. Never has a man deserved a kick in the kegs on a daily basis more than him! And his band of middle class, interfering, do gooder, poncy, blinkered shit bags should be mocked and ridiculed at every opportunity… I’m being very polite and reserved here!

Grrrr…. I just listen to local radio now, can’t stand BBC radio stations.

djglover
    Free Member

Its an age thing right?

20-30 Radio 1
    30-40 Radio 2
    40-50 Radio 4
    50+ Radio 3

crazy-legs

If I’m in the car, Classic FM or Radio 4. Can only do Radio 4 between 6 and 7pm when it’s the news then the evening comedy slot. But I can’t do Classic when it’s “smooth classics” or easy listening shite.

At home, usually 6 Music or Absolute Radio via the tablet.

I was unfortunate enough to discover High Peak Radio when I moved here a few years ago. What a pile of crap that was. The place I worked at had it on more or less all day in the background, it was the only station we could get. 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

R4 is great but all day is too much.

The Archers is shite (shame, used to be great), as are most dramas, the 6:30 comedies are good tho.

ourmaninthenorth

Its an age thing right?

20-30 Radio 1
    30-40 Radio 2
    40-50 Radio 4
    50+ Radio 3

Gave up on R1 long before 30, and skipped R2 altogether. Went straight to R4 and R3.

But everyone up there? Well it’s scary seeing so many people on STW whose opinions are exactly aligned with mine. *goes to lie down*

zippykona

I would say radio is the best it’s ever been. (Apart from Sean Keavney )
    We have 6 which is great (apart from Keavney) and a radio 2 that will play ac/dc at 8 in the morning .
    There’s a million internet stations.
    I can’t abide classical music so not able to comment on those stations.
    If I don’t like something (Keavney) at least I have a choice now to find something I do.

redstripe
    Free Member

Hate the phoney American accents in R4 plays & ditto cheesey crap commercial stations (stuff like Wave 105 and Heart FM down here). I alternate between R4 and 6 music, avoiding stuff like the Archers, John Humphreys, Thought for the day on the former and avoiding Shaun Keavney and Jarvis Cocker on the latter who really wind me up. The announcer bloke with the really deep voice on Radio 4 is a bit weird/scary. Apart from that I do really like both of them. Listening to Marc Riley now, plays some great stuff.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Dont’t tend to listen to much live radio at all anymore mainly all on Podcast or BBC radio I player (listen again)

4 Extra for comedy and some drama
    6 music for Craig Charles, Gilles Peterson and Huey Morgan
    Podcasts for Fri Comedy (and comedy of the week) BBC 4, Five Live movies, infinite money Cage, answer me this and Inside science

That about covers my week of driving around the country

zippykona

Special mention should go to Sound Of The Sixties with Brian Matthew on a Saturday morning Radio 2.
    He plays some real gems.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

can only do Radio 4 between 6 and 7pm when it’s …. the evening comedy slot.

the 6:30 comedies are good tho.

wow, just wow.

I’m utterly gobsmacked.

speechless (not quite, obviously)

YoKaiser
    Free Member

‘Get it on’ on Radio Scotland is the only thing I try to tune in to. If I’m at the PC then Radio Paradise is good, and if I remember then Radcliffe and Maconie on 6.

eskay

1xtra and talksport does it for me. Some of the 1X djs are crap but the music is good. David Rodigan is a highlight.

steveoath
    Free Member

Talksport, realXS and occasionally sunny govan fm.

user-removed
    Free Member

OH! And Late Junction on Radio3 is just pure magic. Everything from folky guitar stuff to Tibetan throat singing. Best thing on the radio if you’re up late at night.

maccruiskeen

The announcer bloke with the really deep voice on Radio 4 is a bit weird/scary.

Neil Nunes (pronounced ‘newness’)

when he reads the shipping forecast… now that is totally sublime

timidwheeler

Nicky Campbell in particular is an arrogant, sociopathic bell-end who would benefit greatly from having his face rubbed repeatedly up and down a dry stone wall.Nicky Campbell in particular is an arrogant, sociopathic bell-end who would benefit greatly from having his face rubbed repeatedly up and down a dry stone wall.Nicky Campbell in particular is an arrogant, sociopathic bell-end who would benefit greatly from having his face rubbed repeatedly up and down a dry stone wall.Nicky Campbell in particular is an arrogant, sociopathic bell-end who would benefit greatly from having his face rubbed repeatedly up and down a dry stone wallNicky Campbell in particular is an arrogant, sociopathic bell-end who would benefit greatly from having his face rubbed repeatedly up and down a dry stone wall.

Sorry.
    Needed that

jools182
    Free Member

Radio djs are like TV chefs

You just find the least annoying one and stick with them

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Discovering a 'new' radio station (mild rant?)’ is closed to new replies.