Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Disc wheelsets for the road
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Bizarrely Ive been Googling this tonight and this site comes up with more hits on the subject than anywhere else combined 🙂

OK my question is a bit different from the usual “what wheels for my roadrat” so I figured Id start a new thread

Im thinking of chopping in my commuter for a drop bar bike with discs toying the idea of building one up from the man cave, the only thing I dont have are wheels

Are there any (tubeless) disc wheelsets that could actually make a decent stab of keeping up with a club ride or are they all bastardised MTB 29ers that weigh a ton?

Budget for wheels £200 but would be happy to look at stuff up to 300 in case of any sudden sales over Easter

cheers

damascus
    Free Member

Performance Wheelset but slightly over budget
    http://crossbikereview.com/gear/reviews/novatec-cxd-wheels-clinchers

I run hope hoops with mavic open pros. Slightly heavier but probably slightly stronger. Again slightly over budget.

Both are around 350.

Dyffers
    Free Member

Are there any (tubeless) disc wheelsets that could actually make a decent stab of keeping up with a club ride or are they all bastardised MTB 29ers that weigh a ton?

Hope Mono (non-disc) hubs on Open Pros ~1850g.
    Cheapo Superstar Switch Evo hubs on Crest 29er rims ~1750g

I use 25mm Michelin Krylions (now called Pro4Endurance I think) on both.

Keeping up with a club ride is about fitness not wheels

chimpymcchimp

I use Stan’s alpha340 rims on their 3.30 disc hubs. About 1.5kg I think but your budget might be a bit stretched for those. I did get a 6 month old set for £300 though.

nedrapier

Stans Alpha 340 on 3.30 24/28. 1520g.

New from Charlie for £299. Happy with my set.

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/stans-notubes-ztr-alpha-340-disc-wheelset-4755-p.asp

chimpymcchimp

Bargain skills. Get those ones iamsporticus. I don’t think you’ll regret it.

jambon
    Free Member

According to physical laws:

1. Bike wheel weight really don’t make any noticeable difference to how quick a road bike goes.

2. 26″ inch wheels should, in theory, be quicker as they are more aerodynamic.

Doesn’t answer your question though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Now that really is a good deal! Quite tempted.

Edit: that novatec one looks good, though the 20 spoke front does look worryingly fragile for a cx wheelset!

shuhockey
    Free Member

Cough cough >>..Mine for sale

Olly
    Free Member

fwiw, I built my own. Old hope bulb hubs (ti glide) and any 32h road rim. Double check your spoke length calcs. Easy enough to build.

Tubeless indicates superlight build on a road bike doesn’t it?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Disc wheelsets for the road’ is closed to new replies.