Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • disc rotor with tape stuck on it?
  • Lankysprinter
    Free Member

just received a disc rotor from on one thats in their usual torn to shreds home made packaging which is fine- but they’ve taped it to the packaging so there’s now tape residue all over the back of the disc including the edges where the pads touch it.

Is this an issue?
    I’m fairly new to discs but I’m assuming it is!
    thanks

Andy-R

Lighter fluid (Ronsonol) will soon clean that off.
    Or brake cleaner, I suppose.

Jeffus
    Free Member

IPA should bring it off, or disc brake cleaner from halfords or the like, something that won’t leave an residue behind.

PaulD
    Free Member

Use an organic solvent such as lighter fuel or petrol to remove the sticky mess with a toothbrush (20p for 2 at Asda and Sainsbury). Then clean again in that solvent.
    Dry it, then scrub with abrasive such as Vim or Ajax with water and a scrubbing brush, water rinse and dry.
    Any less and you can ruin a pair of brake pads immediately, and a subsequent pair if not fully clean.

I know it’s a faff, but cheaper than new pads.

PaulD

druidh
    Free Member

Return it and get a replacement. Why should you have the hassle?

portlyone

Won’t it help stop you quicker? 🙂

sambob
    Free Member

Paraffin should work well.
    EDIT: didn’t mean paraffin, I meant meths. Oops.

njee20
    Free Member

Return it and get a replacement. Why should you have the hassle?

Surely that’s more hassle than 2 minutes with some meths!?

I’d have thought it’ll clean up very quickly on a muddy ride! I’d give it a quick scrub in hot soapy water and then just ride it!

perthmtb
    Free Member

I use Isopropyl Alcohol from a hardware store, great for cleaning eyeglasses and computer screens too…

PaulD
    Free Member

IPA and meths will not remove adhesive tape residue very well, especially in disc rotor holes.
    It is not a solvent for the glue.
    Petrol, diesel, thinners, lighter fuel, white spirit and turpentine will dissolve it tho’.

PaulD

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’d recommend cleaning ANY new rotor before using on the bike. There may be other residues on the disc to prevent corrosion etc whilst in storage.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘disc rotor with tape stuck on it?’ is closed to new replies.