Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • disc rotor cleaner?
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Can I use Fenwicks bike cleaner to clean a rotor? Its says on the bottle that its ok to use on disc brakes but doesn’t specifically mention rotors. What about surgical spirits?

jfeb
    Free Member

Not sure about Newicks. White Spirit leaves a residue behind so isn’t ideal for cleanin g disks. Not sure about surgical spirits. Isopropyl alcohol is what your really want or, failing that, Meths.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

isn’t being fiercely abraded by a brake pad enough ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    KonaTC

I use wire wool to remove any dirt & scuff the surface then meths to clean any residue

therevokid
    Free Member

I use muc-off all over the bike, including rotors – as long as it’s
    well rinsed after I’ve not had any problems. I’d guess Fenwicks would
    be about the same …. IPA for when there’s oil etc on the rotor.

avdave2

Wurth LU cleaner is specifically made for cleaning car disk brakes, although I don’t know whether that means you can use it on a bike. Might be worth considering.

pinches
    Free Member

vodka works apparently!

bomberman
    Free Member

i’ve just used meths on mine today

gravelrash

brake cleaner from your local car spares shop? £4 per tin lasts ages.

steelfan
    Free Member

I always thought that it was not a good idea to use car disc brake cleaner because it left a residue on the rotor. Bike disc brakes do not build up to the same temps as car disc brake and therfore doesn’t burn off the residue.
    I might be wrong but i always use a cycle specific disc brake cleaner which does not leave this residue onthe rotor.

cyclelife
    Free Member

I was about to ask this question, as after a trip in the car with my bike on the tow monted carrier the discs get covered in Diesel fume residue and make a F’ckin hell of a noise!! How do you get rid of it?

AndyPaice
    Free Member

meths on a clean rag or kitchen roll and wipe the rotor after each drive?

guitarhero
    Free Member

I use the Fenwicks stuff on my rotors with no ill effects

Spongebob
    Free Member

1st clean off with dry rag. Then isopropry alcohol if they look contaminated. Then apply a small amount of houshold detergent, then wash with copious amounts of hot water. Rinse thoroughly with more clean water. Then take a short spin, followed by drying with more clean rag. If you put the bike away with wet pads in cold weather, it is very likely that rust will form on the rotor by the time you come to next use the bike. The way to avoid this rusting is to remove the wheels prior to cleaning and refit them when dry.

Pads should be removed periodically, washed and lightly deglazed on a piece of emery cloth on a flat surface. Clean out any crud with cotton buds that has got onto the pistons or hard to get to parts of the caliper. Re-fit the pads with a very light smear of copper slip on the back of the pad.

This service is one of several things you can do to stop or reduce squealing.

If only these were fit and forget!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘disc rotor cleaner?’ is closed to new replies.