Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • disc cogs, seems a good idea
  • rOcKeTdOg

from the paul errington snow bike article
    http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shopdisc.html
    i fancy a left hand chainline
    sorry if this is common knowledge but i've not seen it done this well before

walla24
    Free Member

huh thats clever! and you can just swap the cranks round?

rOcKeTdOg

yea, why not, can't think of a reason, of course disc brakes are out!

BigJohn

Your pedals will need to be stripped and turned round to run a L/H chain. Then they will fall off during the second ride.

fadda

Aren't rear wheels dished specifically to be stronger on the drive side? (Not that I pedal hard enough to worry about that!!)

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Thought they were dished to accomodate the cassette only. Strongest wheels are ones that aren't dished at all

fadda

Ah – Every day's a schoolday! Apologies for the numpty post, then. In which case, this looks like a great idea!

firestarter
    Free Member

i did run my driveside on the other side for a bit. I used some locktite on pedals they were fine

rOcKeTdOg

how do BMXs get over the pedal issue when running LT drive?

mayan
    Free Member

I've got one on my pompino, but Im running it the normal way round. Using a xt mtb disc hub allows a freewheel single cog on the other side for a flipflop hub.
    Works really well, no problems with stuck cogs or stripping the hub thread (or pondering the eternal "do i need a lockring" question)
    Got mine from velosolo about a year ago, and no sign of any wear yet.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

flats would be ok, spds would be the wrong way for your cleats

Sam

The issue is less with the directio of the pedals than the direction of the threads. The left hand pedal has a left hand thread for a reason, it will unscrew otherwise. The way to do a 'proper' left hand drivetrain is to use tandem pilots cranks. They have the pedals threaded 'normally' but the spider is on the left.

Bolt on disc cogs are a much better idea than left hand drivetrains.

chopperT
    Free Member

You guys seem to be missing the point. You use a FRONT disc hub, replace the axle (longer) and spacers (wider) and run it as a rear fixie hub with the drive on the same side as usual = no lockring, no dish.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

thats the way LFG and VeloSolo do them

adeward
    Free Member

back to the snow bike,, it seems he has the same spacing on the front and rear as the wheels are interchangable,, so he has two different ratios avalable

is a fixed wheel the way to go? would be a right pain in the shins pushing a fixed wheel bike in the snow

but then again would most freewheels eventualy freeze up

miketually
    Free Member

He doesn't have bolt on sprockets on the snow bike. He's running two rear wheels, both with a freewheel (or cassette wheel with spacers) and a disc. Pretty standard for snow bikes nowadays.

convert

Thanks for that – I'm putting together an electric car for the greenpower car project for a groups of kids at school. I've been looking to have some sprockets custom made to run attached to the rotor attachments and these guys look like a good placed to size.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘disc cogs, seems a good idea’ is closed to new replies.