• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Twin.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Disc brakes, retracting pistons
  • PTR
    Free Member

As above really, does any one have a clever method, or know of a tool for doing this?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

A cheap plastic tyre lever.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I like to use my large pedros tyre lever. Works a treat and no sharp edges

ssboggy

Superstar sell a tool for this

iainc

allen key in between, pull back evenly

Northwind

Old pads in, inexplicably massive flathead screwdriver pushed inbetween.

PTR
    Free Member

I’ll have a look at superstar, thanks, I’ve tried the others, to no success

JoeG
    Free Member

Park make one, the PP-1.2

Northwind – Member

Old pads in, inexplicably massive flathead screwdriver pushed inbetween.

^ That’s what I do a well.

iainc

£25 for that park thing !

P20

Another vote for old pads and big flat screwdriver

TheGingerOne

I like to use the flat handle of a teaspoon. They are available in all good kitchens 😀

vincienup
    Free Member

Just a thought, but if lever is not shifting the pistons:

1. Are you sure they are not seized?
    2. Have you tried cracking a bleed nipple open or opening the master cylinder (depending on type)?

Unless there is equal volume available in the system (ie, master cylinder level is lowish or can overflow/vent) then the fluid you are displacing by trying to spread the pistons has nowhere to go (unless a seal gives up…)

Obviously you may need to bleed after this depending on feel (you may want to anyway)

For tools, Avid do a little plastic wedge. A small wooden wedge should also do. Personally I use whatever lever I see fit between the old pads I’m planning to bin…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Looking at that park tool, an old wooden chisel ground down a bit thinner would be very similar.

butcher

I once pulled the brake with the wheel off, literally pulling the bike out of the car ready to ride. Not too big a deal but a pain in the bottom non-the-less. Until my mate took out what looked like one of those spacers I should have had in to prevent such accidents…except it also had a wedge. Effortlessly pushed it in, pistons returned to their usual position and off we went riding.

He says he got it with the bike. It’s functional simplicity still impresses me to this day but I’ve never actually seen one for sale anywhere.

Twin
    Free Member

The wedge thingy comes with avid brakes. Unfortunately you need to have avid brakes to get one. 😕

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Disc brakes, retracting pistons’ is closed to new replies.