Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Disc brake silicone lube
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Hunter Plastics SC960 / SC966 silicone drain fitting lube has been mentioned on here before as the stuff to use on sticky disc brake pistons – but where to buy??

Cant find in B&Q. Do any of the big plumbing / building trade places sell it?

A few online bike suppliers, but ideally want to pick up today for some vital evening bike TLC

mk1fan
    Free Member

Plumb Centre sell airesol silicone lube – it's used to build up push fit drainage pipework. £7 a can, ish.

Toolstation and Screwfix probably sell it too.

Alternatively, Aldi sell silicone lube in a pot like Finish Line lubes.

neninja
    Free Member

The only grease that would go near my pistons is Red Rubber Grease. Anything else is likely to swell the piston seals and cause problems.

rkk01
    Free Member

The only grease that would go near my pistons is Red Rubber Grease. Anything else is likely to swell the piston seals and cause problems.

The stuff referenced in my OP is what Hope use during assembly at the factory – so should be suitable…

rkk01
    Free Member

The stuff referenced in my OP is what Hope use during assembly at the factory – so should be suitable…

… just need to be able to get hold of some…
    . bump

Jamie
    Free Member

Best bet is to ring around local plumbers merchants.

…or buy it online and be patient.

mr_mills
    Free Member

What's wrong with "3-in-one" silicone spray lube from B&Q?

thepurist

If you've got a scuba diving shop locally then they'll sell it as it's used for a lot of O-ring seals on diving equipment – but if you think LBS prices can be OTT then try an LDS!

rkk01
    Free Member

Managed to get some from the local Drain Centre. the guy did look quite alarmend when I said I wanted it for disk brake pistons…I think he had visions of me tinkering with my car or motorbike brakes.

mk1fan
    Free Member

I've used the Plumb Centre own brand stuff on loads of Avid brake callipers – Juicy, Elixir, Code and Ultimate – without issue. Freed up several 'seized' callipers too. However, I do use Sram's Dot Grease when I strip down and rebuild them.

Now I've said that my brakes will explode on this evening's Curry Cruise!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Disc brake silicone lube’ is closed to new replies.