Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Disc brake cleaner
  • roughneck
    Free Member

which is the best and most economical disc cleaner. Can you use car disc cleaner. Muc off was good but expensive.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Fairy liquid and hot water.

CountZero

Car disc cleaner is an absolute no-no. It has oil in because car discs are iron and rust. The best cleaners are meths or isopropyl alchohol. Iso is ideal, it evaporates quickly and leaves no deposits. I've used it for years, but I've got access to industrial quantities… 😀

scaredypants

I have some IPA but mostly just use mud, in the winter

carlphillips
    Free Member

another for IPA here, its cheap

roughneck
    Free Member

what about motorbike disc/pad cleaner. I use sintered disc pads.

CountZero

Can't comment on motorcycle cleaner, but IPA works perfectly so I wouldn't bother.

therealhoops
    Free Member

I never clean my brakes unless I've got oil/lube on 'em by mistake. In which case I spray citrus degreaser on and then wash in hot water/fairy liquid. Squeal like billy-oh for about a mile but then back to normal.

Northwind

"Car disc cleaner is an absolute no-no. It has oil in because car discs are iron and rust."

So people keep saying, never found a car brake cleaner that contains any oil yet though.. The Halfords Own is actually pretty good, doesn't smell as nice as the Mucoff stuff though. Or IPA of course, most brake cleaners are mostly IPA anyway, but for convenience it's generally easier to nip into a Halfords I reckon. Maplin sells IPA by the aerosol and liquid in a tin, both hilariously expensive but the aerosol is great for convenience.

glenh
    Free Member

Why on earth would you need to clean you brakes?

I've not cleaned mine in 4 years (other than with water from the hose) and they have always worked fine.

Peregrine
    Free Member

Oil in brake cleaner, complete tosh – unless you can provide evidence to support this…………..

bassspine
    Free Member

"Car disc cleaner is an absolute no-no. It has oil in because car discs are iron and rust."

BLUFF

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

IPA? What a waste. I love the stuff and I believe Rebus used to drink it around Edinburgh's haunts.

Christowkid
    Free Member

My lbs recommended Fenwicks, as they use it in their workshop.
    Noticed front brake judder on hols in France, and on return, used it. Stopped judder, which I presume was 1,000 miles of motorway vapour etc. condensing on discs. Good stuff, don't use after every ride, just occasionally or when brakes squeaky.
    My tuppence
    Q

grumm
    Free Member

You can buy mucoff motorbike disc brake cleaner – cheaper and identical as far as I can see. I've had no problems with it.

I bought a big thing of isopropyl alcohol off ebay now though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Disc brake cleaner’ is closed to new replies.